The new C&D GT500 article scanned in!

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
01L2Cobra said:
Using the Bhp and weight you can get damn close to knowing how much Hp you will need to match it and that is 110hp. The big factor hers is the 700lbs difference in weight.

There are much more things you have to compare between the two then just power to weight. How about avergage horsepower along the curve. Gearing, low end torque, mid range power, heat soak, etc...all these factors can have a car winning thats not suppose to win because there "power to weight ratio isnt enough" Your going by peak HP, thats not the whole game though.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Purvis said:
snip...
12.5 @116..
No other production Mustang have ever matched that number in a magizine. Most rags had the 03 Cobra at around 13.0. 00 Cobra R was usually around 12.9. This is definately the fastest production Mustang of all time.
...snip

The Terminators ran 12s in several magazines, including Evan Smith running 12.4x@114+. Of course, I think Evan could pilot the new Shelby to something in the 12.0-12.2 range, so it's still going to be the fastest production Mustang.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Purvis said:
3.31 gears?? Definately room for improvement there.. knock at least .3 to .4 tenths off just be switching to a decent rear gear :). And it will be easy to swap the gears, because of the solid rear. :coolman:

12.5 @116..
No other production Mustang have ever matched that number in a magizine. Most rags had the 03 Cobra at around 13.0. 00 Cobra R was usually around 12.9. This is definately the fastest production Mustang of all time.

ITs a good bet this car will be capable of 500 rwhp with just a tune and a pulley. Torque should be incredible, because of the added displacement..

3800 pounds is HEAVY. It definately has lot of weight to move around.. But never underestimate the effect HP can have. This car is going to scream and take no prisoners.

The weight issue, was undoutedly the deciding factor in the IRS decision.. With the IRS, it would have been ridiculously Heavy.. Im glad they saved the weight where they could, and gave us a rear end that will work well at the Drag strip... Finnally!!!

Look at it this way..
Ford chose to put as big and powerful an engine in this thing as they could.. The IRS, with the huge engine, would have just made it over the top weight wise..

I'll take a huge engine, over an IRS any day of the week. :beer:

Its also a possibility, that the Iron block that comes in this Shelby, might be the ultimate modular block. It might end up being stronger than the aluminum FORD GT block.. Thoughts?

A max effort pulley and reflash pump gas twin rotor GT500 motor will make 600rwhp+

What's the difference between the Eaton M112 and R122? Just the look? Will the GT500 have the same type of whine as the Eaton on 03/04 Cobras?

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
I look at it this way... '03-'04 Cobra's were rated at 390 HP... and with just a tune and a catback... (NO PULLEY).. put down 420+ to the REAR EASY! ;)

If the GT500 comes at say... 475HP... and you use the same math... this car... with JUST a CATBACK, and a TUNE should put 520+ DOWN to the REAR!

Same mods on a Z-06 ('06) will 'probably'.. be 475 RWHP BEST CASE... so run that math.

At the end of the day... I think at the drags this car may edge out the Z-06... but comparing them is silly... because... after the drags.. when you have to make the turn around... the Z would go around you like you were looking for a parking place.

But when comparing to the '03-'04... it isn't going to be a race... sorry... Your talking conservatively probably 100 MORE RWHP.. than a typically modded '03-'04... 200lbs is 2 tenths... 100 RWHP is at least a half second in the quarter.

Cheers to all!

Dave (Can't wait to get my GT500)

rphinney

Established Member
Dave Schotz said:
I look at it this way... '03-'04 Cobra's were rated at 390 HP... and with just a tune and a catback... (NO PULLEY).. put down 420+ to the REAR EASY! ;)

If the GT500 comes at say... 475HP... and you use the same math... this car... with JUST a CATBACK, and a TUNE should put 520+ DOWN to the REAR!

Same mods on a Z-06 ('06) will 'probably'.. be 475 RWHP BEST CASE... so run that math.

At the end of the day... I think at the drags this car may edge out the Z-06... but comparing them is silly... because... after the drags.. when you have to make the turn around... the Z would go around you like you were looking for a parking place.

But when comparing to the '03-'04... it isn't going to be a race... sorry... Your talking conservatively probably 100 MORE RWHP.. than a typically modded '03-'04... 200lbs is 2 tenths... 100 RWHP is at least a half second in the quarter.

Cheers to all!

Dave (Can't wait to get my GT500)

Dude let's get a grip here you are saying if the car is rated at 475 it will put down what 450 to the wheels, that is a stretch but let's go with it, and you say the car will put down 520 with a tune and Cat back that is 598 Hp at the Flywheel. :bored:

475 to 598 HP Just a Tune and Cat Back 123 HP Gain, :bs:
You guys really need to come off this car a little bit and before you start comparing it to the Z understand it is going to weigh 700 lbs. more than the Z that means you will need 70 more RWHP before you are even in the same zip code!

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
All he is saying, is that if the GT500 is as underated as the 03/04 Cobras were, this car will give the ZO6 a run for its money, 1/4 wise..

Especially, with a chip and tune, which probably many, many people will do.

The ZO6 defiantely has the edge, but it may not be as much as you think.

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
rphinney said:
Dude let's get a grip here you are saying if the car is rated at 475 it will put down what 450 to the wheels, that is a stretch but let's go with it, and you say the car will put down 520 with a tune and Cat back that is 598 Hp at the Flywheel. :bored:

475 to 598 HP Just a Tune and Cat Back 123 HP Gain, :bs:
You guys really need to come off this car a little bit and before you start comparing it to the Z understand it is going to weigh 700 lbs. more than the Z that means you will need 70 more RWHP before you are even in the same zip code!

Ever dyno your lightning??

:rolleyes:

It seems to me Ford likes to under rate their engines just a tad bit lately, especially those with a blower on top.

rphinney

Established Member
Purvis said:
All he is saying, is that if the GT500 is as underated as the 03/04 Cobras were, this car will give the ZO6 a run for its money, 1/4 wise..

Especially, with a chip and tune, which probably many, many people will do.

The ZO6 defiantely has the edge, but it may not be as much as you think.

When in doubt compare the chip and tuned Cobra with the stock Z06. :rollseyes

This car will not be close to the new Z06, The Z06 mules have gone below the 11.5 mark in the quarter, C&D ran a 12.5 in the Cobra? :shrug:

If you think tuning can gain you 1 second give or take in the quarter that's terrific, I will file you right next to the guy that thinks a Cat back and tune will give you 125 HP. We can contract you two to build the "sporty suspension" for that pig of car.

rphinney

Established Member
Fn'sh!t^ said:
Ever dyno your lightning??

:rolleyes:

It seems to me Ford likes to under rate their engines just a tad bit lately, especially those with a blower on top.

You are right, Ford started this right after their 99 Cobra's where dynoing what 165 HP? :shrug:

Interesting Timing.

Fourcam330

Established Member
rphinney said:
When in doubt compare the chip and tuned Cobra with the stock Z06. :rollseyes

This car will not be close to the new Z06, The Z06 mules have gone below the 11.5 mark in the quarter, C&D ran a 12.5 in the Cobra? :shrug:

If you think tuning can gain you 1 second give or take in the quarter that's terrific, I will file you right next to the guy that thinks a Cat back and tune will give you 125 HP. We can contract you two to build the "sporty suspension" for that pig of car.

C&D estimated, not ran. If you want to point fingers at "unfair" comparisons, why even bother comparing a $65,000+ two seater to the $40,000 four seater? A pulley/reflash ($750) and the Z06 will have met its straight line match. No one's saying it's not the better car.

01L2Cobra

Banned
rphinney said:
We can contract you two to build the "sporty suspension" for that pig of car.
Actually it is more like a rhinoceros than a pig. It weighs about as much and have you ever seen one turn at speed? I bet its like watching the GT500 take a turn.
icon_lol.gif

Last edited:

rphinney

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
C&D estimated, not ran. If you want to point fingers at "unfair" comparisons, why even bother comparing a $65,000+ two seater to the $40,000 four seater? A pulley/reflash ($750) and the Z06 will have met its straight line match. No one's saying it's not the better car.

Again, when in doubt compare the Pullied and Tuned Cobra to the stock Z. All this is of course if Ford decides to include the Forced induction at all, and that the vehicle will have wheels to roll on as keeping the car under 40K requires sacrifices you know! :)

Fourcam330

Established Member
01L2Cobra said:
Actually it is more like a rhinoceros than a pig. It weighs about as much and have you ever seen one turn at speed? I bet its like watching the GT500 take a turn.
icon_lol.gif

It will still eat that joke of an '01 you have for lunch regardless of how twisty the road gets. Get over it.

Fourcam330

Established Member
rphinney said:
Again, when in doubt compare the Pullied and Tuned Cobra to the stock Z. All this is of course if Ford decides to include the Forced induction at all, and that the vehicle will have wheels to roll on as keeping the car under 40K requires sacrifices you know! :)

Again, there's absolutely no reason to compare the two cars anyway, so why not? You would still end up with $30,000+ in the bank after a pulley/reflash. Obviously Chevy couldn't afford to put FI on a $40K Vette either.
Yesterday I shipped out a spare set of Ford GT heads to Rad Craig @ Induction Concepts; he's going to begin mocking up a clean sheet lower intake for my GT500/twin T66 project. Obviously, I could give a shit how much power the new Z06 comes with--come to think of it, it really won't matter how much spray if any the bowtie has either :beer:

Last edited:

01L2Cobra

Banned
Fourcam330 said:
It will still eat that joke of an '01 you have for lunch regardless of how twisty the road gets. Get over it.
I'm sorry but with the way that my suspension is set up it's going to have a difficult time doing that.

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Sorry RPHinney... been busy... I didn't compare the 'chip/catback' GT500 to the 'STOCK' Z-06... RE-READ my post... I compared a chip/catback GT500 to a 'chip/catback' Z-06... and said the GT500 will make more RWHP... :shrug:

Sorry.. you also (I hope) noticed I said hands down they are not in the same league... and the Z-06 is a handling MONSTER... :bowdown:

I only tried to SHARE FACTS of WHAT CURRENT '03-'04 COBRA'S are DOING... if you give this car the same expectation (and don't even TAKE INTO EFFECT what the same mods do for MORE CUBIC INCHES)... yadda yadda yadda... it would make 'on average' about 30+ MORE RWHP with the simple tune & catback of what Ford rates it at... I didn't say it was fact... I was only trying to share what current Supercharged Factory Cobra's are dynoing. :read:

RP... my TRASH TALK IS FROM FACT... I've owned & RACED them ALL! Z-06... LIGHTNING... COBRA, COBRA R... VIPER... you name it... so I don't have a dawg in this fight to TRASH another BRAND... I only state DYNO FACTS... not myths... as to your '123 RHWP' gain... QUOTE... Well.. just do the MATH FOR ME... on an '03 COBRA rated at 390... @ 15% Drivetrain loss (conservative... yes???)... you are at 332 RWHP (RIGHT)... Yet... they MAKE 420 RWHP w/ Chip & Catback... so... That sure looks like 90RWHP GAIN... right there... Sorry... DEAL WITH THE FACTS... :bash:

ALSO... RP... Maybe you don't know who I am... I use my real name... just google it... and LEARN SOMETHING! :idea:

Instead of talking out your other cheek... please show me the Z-06 MULES running 11.5's... fastest I have seen on the internet so far is 12.0 @ 120... but that is just with MY OWN EYES... I am sure you have SECRET SOURCES :bs:

Also.. RP... I just realized you were replying to Purvis about the Chip/Tune example... so sorry... but you need to spend a bit more time 'surfin' to get some more facts '99 Cobra's were 265 RWHP ;) But... hey... that would be a 100 HP gain... over your original number and that isn't possible! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread