ZL1 vs my 2012gt/cs 2.3 roushcharged

3 oh 2

Established Member
well i was driving to my local Tommie vaughn ford here in houston which is a Ford Racing parts store yesteday. I was picking up the rest of my parts i order for my 6r80 conversion when i saw a black zl1 following me . THANK GOD I HAD MY DRAG RADIALS :banana:.. well we did a 30mph and i was in second my car is a 3.73 car with full headers and jon lund tune with 10psi i let him take the jump . I put 4 car lenghts on him he had no chance . we did a couple of more runs at 60 mph i beat him bad :rockon:. i talked to him he had a tune full exhaust i ask him what he ran in the 1/4 he said 11.6 hes car is m6 .

3 oh 2

Established Member
nice kill! i want a roushcharger BAD.

why you going to the auto? Drag lots or Having problems with the 6MT?

Im on my 3rd mt82 and i dont want to spend 5k on the magnum xl when i can do the 6r80 for half the cost which im already doing right now . I have the car all apart should be done by rhis week end:rockon:

Chuckie B

Established Member
Good kill..sounds like your car moves out!! I played with one a little bit but we couldn't get too much open road. I wasn't all that impressed but it was prob stock

3 oh 2

Established Member
Good kill..sounds like your car moves out!! I played with one a little bit but we couldn't get too much open road. I wasn't all that impressed but it was prob stock

Well my best time was 10.6@128 mph he had full exhaust and lmr tune he said he ran mid 11"s

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Great kill! Sounds like you have quite the car. :beer:

Funny story about a ZL1- Monday I'm driving home on the Loop 303 outside of Phoenix. (Think out in the middle of nowhere. Wide-open Autobahn. All brand new concrete and smooth as glass). A brand new red ZL1 passes me, still with the temp tags on it. And what am I driving? My 4x4 F350 dually! I'm on my 2nd new GT500 in the past year, and this is the best road in town we could possibly have been on to run 'em. Unbelievable! I texted my buddy who also owns a '13 Shelby and he replies: "you should have run him anyway- you probably could've taken him!" Oh well, the fact that he had temps and turned off at an exit near mine just means I need to start driving the Shelby on that route every day back from work until I see him again!

Sorry OP- Didn't mean to jack your thread!

BDFabrizio

Registered Abuser
Established Member
Congrats OP! I can't wait to get FI on my car.

Great kill! Sounds like you have quite the car. :beer:

Funny story about a ZL1- Monday I'm driving home on the Loop 303 outside of Phoenix. (Think out in the middle of nowhere. Wide-open Autobahn. All brand new concrete and smooth as glass). A brand new red ZL1 passes me, still with the temp tags on it. And what am I driving? My 4x4 F350 dually! I'm on my 2nd new GT500 in the past year, and this is the best road in town we could possibly have been on to run 'em. Unbelievable! I texted my buddy who also owns a '13 Shelby and he replies: "you should have run him anyway- you probably could've taken him!" Oh well, the fact that he had temps and turned off at an exit near mine just means I need to start driving the Shelby on that route every day back from work until I see him again!

Sorry OP- Didn't mean to jack your thread!
The same thing happens to me way more often then I care to admit. If I'm out in the fox or the coyote, I don't see anyone worth racing, ever. If I'm out in my wifes car I'll see fast cars all day long.

G Wrecks

Established Member
What color was the ZL1? I guarantee it had a new upper pulley along with the full exhaust. Maybe even a cam

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
I ran a 705rwhp ZL1 at one of the local 1/2 mile races. I put bus length on him, kinda felt sorry for the guy.He was so far back i could see him out my rear view mirror. He ended up being a really nice guy.

G Wrecks

Established Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uni8zn9YzqM

I bet this is it. I used to work for LMR in sales and marketing and I filmed all of the dyno videos. If I remember correctly, this is the only black ZL1 we ever tuned. This car came to LMR with work previously done, and he was unhappy with the power, so we changed the cam, and machined his cylinder heads. Since these cars are supercharged, the cam didn't have a very aggressive LSA, so it isn't that noticeable at idle.

Users who are viewing this thread