Z28

bmore1186

Established Member
Via Twitter-
GMInsideNews ‏@GMInsideNews3m

#Z28 is 100lbs lighter than #ZL1.

So it's still 4000lb car that is gutted out with speakers etc... Cost more than the Boss LS while it still retains everything except a rear seat? Pass

truefiveo

Established Member
Wish they would just ditch that whole 5th gen body style already.

So sick of looking at those along with S197s and those fat ugly Dodge Challengers.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I expect a new Camaro right around the time the next Gen Mustang arrives. In the meantime, the 2014 Mustangs and Camaros are as good as it gets. Both are certainly very popular. It will be very interesting to see what those next Gens look like, since the designs are expected to change quite a bit. One thing is pretty much certain. Power in either brand won't be lacking. :)

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Via Twitter-
GMInsideNews ‏@GMInsideNews3m

#Z28 is 100lbs lighter than #ZL1.

So it's still 4000lb car that is gutted out with speakers etc... Cost more than the Boss LS while it still retains everything except a rear seat? Pass

300 lbs lighter than the ZL1 and 100 less than the SS..I suspect it will still weigh in close to 38xx, still no bantam weight.....see snippet from the article

To optimize the track performance of the Camaro Z/28, the engineering team subjected it to an intensive lightweighting program, saving 100 pounds (45 kilograms) compared to the naturally aspirated Camaro SS and 300 pounds (136 kilograms) to the supercharged Camaro ZL1.

linky....

Last edited:

Supernova

Established Member
Could they possibly make the black portion of the rear fascia any larger?!? That looks hideous.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
300 lbs lighter than the ZL1 and 100 less than the SS..I suspect it will still weigh in close to 38xx, still no bantam weight.....see snippet from the article

To optimize the track performance of the Camaro Z/28, the engineering team subjected it to an intensive lightweighting program, saving 100 pounds (45 kilograms) compared to the naturally aspirated Camaro SS and 300 pounds (136 kilograms) to the supercharged Camaro ZL1.

linky....

I'm not sure how that can be accurate... unless the SS is 3900+lbs now?

Zl1 - 4120lbs
SS - 3849lbs

4120 - 300 is 3820lbs.... certainly not 100lbs less than the SS unless the SS gained weight this year as well?

14 GT500
Established Member
It should be about the same weight as the SS, maybe a few pounds lighter as it has smaller wheels. It will not be a straight line rocket thats for sure. It will be good on the track as it will beat a 1LE, but in a straight line I'll bet the ZL1 is still faster. Also it will sticker for more than a ZL1, GM has said it will be above the ZL1. I guess the cost of the carbon brakes etc. My preference is still a GT500

A-L-Perspective

Established Member
It will not be a straight line rocket thats for sure. It will be good on the track as it will beat a 1LE, but in a straight line I'll bet the ZL1 is still faster. Also it will sticker for more than a ZL1, GM has said it will be above the ZL1. I guess the cost of the carbon brakes etc. My preference is still a GT500

That would be a royal screw up IMO. No way would I pay for the most expensive Camaro to be slower than a ZL1 even if it is in a straight line.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
That would be a royal screw up IMO. No way would I pay for the most expensive Camaro to be slower than a ZL1 even if it is in a straight line.
Im sure its gonna be a drivers race between the ZL1 and Z/28 on a straight line. Other than the fact that the ZL1 has a S/C, I really dont see it to be superior to the Z/28. On paper the Z/28 looks to be the better car. I would say that Chevy dropped the ball, the ZL1 shouldve been the Z/28 and the Z/28 shouldve been the ZL1 if that makes sense. Unless we are getting a rehashed version of the ZL1 with the Z/28 upgrades, I dont see why they should even bother making a ZL1 anymore.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I'm not sure how that can be accurate... unless the SS is 3900+lbs now?

Zl1 - 4120lbs
SS - 3849lbs

4120 - 300 is 3820lbs.... certainly not 100lbs less than the SS unless the SS gained weight this year as well?

That is a difference of 271lbs going by those curb weights, sure options could change those figures too...So GM rounded up to 300...the std SS and ZL1 have 20" wheels. The Z28 will have 19", there is 42lbs right there and another 28 in the brakes. That is all unsprung weight. GM took every ounce out of the car they could. I don't see their claim as stretch at all, a dry sump LS7 weighs roughly the same as a fully dressed LS3 (around 450LBs) and will be considerably lighter than the S/C mill in the ZL1. I am sure we will see real curb weight figures soon enough...

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
That is a difference of 271lbs going by those curb weights, sure options could change those figures too...So GM rounded up to 300...the std SS and ZL1 have 20" wheels. The Z28 will have 19", there is 42lbs right there and another 28 in the brakes. That is all unsprung weight. GM took every ounce out of the car they could. I don't see their claim as stretch at all, a dry sump LS7 weighs roughly the same as a fully dressed LS3 (around 450LBs) and will be considerably lighter than the S/C mill in the ZL1. I am sure we will see real curb weight figures soon enough...

I'm not saying GM stated it wrong but according to the press quote 100lbs less than the SS would be 37xxlbs or close to 350-400lbs lighter than the ZL1, the numbers don't add up is all I am pointing out. :shrug:

Jroc

Established Member
If the Z/28 uses the 1LE's 3.91's then my guess is it will be faster than the ZL1 in acceleration.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I'm not saying GM stated it wrong but according to the press quote 100lbs less than the SS would be 37xxlbs or close to 350-400lbs lighter than the ZL1, the numbers don't add up is all I am pointing out. :shrug:
Thats exactly what I came out with. The std SS is already close to 300lbs lighter than the ZL1, if the Z/28 is 300lbs lighter than the ZL1 then that would put it in the SS range. Being 100lbs lighter than the std SS but only 300lbs lighter than the ZL1 makes absolutely no sense at all.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Honestly I would be happier if the info was wrong and it was 37xxlbs... but it still seems heavy considering they claimed to have spent a lot of time reducing the weight.

Formula51

Established Member
If the Z/28 uses the 1LE's 3.91's then my guess is it will be faster than the ZL1 in acceleration.

It does Jroc and it will be. Shoot, the 1LE is basically as fast as the ZL1 with the LS3 and 3.91 rear....atleast on a hot summer day:lol1:

I will venture a guess that the Z28 should be right on the GT500's ass in the quarter mile, despite it's weight and horsepower disadvantage. This guess is based on the Camaro's better weight balance, 3.91 rear gears, and large/sticky 305 rear tires. The LS7 is a proven engine and we know what we are going to get there.

On another note, has anyone seen any details for the 2014 1LE Camaro? I believe the package will still be offered, but not sure what changes, if any, will be made. If the 1LE gets a few goodies from the Z28, might have to wait until next year for that to happen, then that will be a great bang for your buck.

Users who are viewing this thread