Z06 158mph later

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Originally posted by mr.aqua
To the coment that the cobra is not a drag car.. what else can you do with it.. I'm just curious....

but in area's like drift and auto x and track courses cobra's are not built for it..

If I had a nickel for every time I've seen a ricer post this, I'd be rich. They just don't get it.

Cobra's are NOT set up for drag racing. They have an IRS (just like an S2000) and are really meant for Auto-X and road courses. I can slide my Cobra around corners with complete control. It's very well balanced and handles very predictably.

The whole "Cobra's are only good in a straight line" thing is a MYTH. Even the Mustang GT's are not as bad as most ricers think. A lot of Cobra owners on this forum are hard-core Auto-X'ers.

CobraBri

Established Member
Originally posted by mr.aqua
LOL. Gateways.. suck. To the coment that the cobra is not a drag car.. what else can you do with it.. I'm just curious. I have seen people do auto x in them and it is fun to watch but really. they are a muscle car and shine in going fast. Its like buying an s2000 to drag race it.. only retards to that. I agree, domestics in the states generally dominate in drag but in area's like drift and auto x and track courses cobra's are not built for it.. i'd like to see a cobra video of someone tracking it that would be nice for a change.

pz

Let me ask you something smart-guy- why are you here on SVT performance commenting on a thread about lowly drag racing (only for mullet boys :rollseyes ???) You obviously don't know shit about our cars or care to learn about them, so why hang out here unless you want to troll? I mean, obviously from your snide remarks racing "in a straight line" is somehow lower on the food chain compared to autocrossing...so why even comment on something you know zero about?

And to clear up your obvious misconceptions- the '03+ Cobra is not a "drag car" :nonono: it is a "GT" car with an IRS made to handle well (yes, it handles well for a heavy car) and go very fast. Some people find those two attributes to be a FUN combination; a point apparantly lost on you. SVT also designed the car for mild racetrack duty, and some people here do open track their cars.

Face it, your a narrow-minded, ignorant, hater who drives a cod-piece Honda. If you like whirling your way through a set of cones in a parking lot, more power to you. However, it's out on the street that these cars spend 99% of the time and where cars like yours will be embarrased at every stoplight.

Shawn MacAnanny

Pillage BEFORE you burn!!
Established Member
mr.aqua said:
Z06 was Probably Stock. Not an impressive kill at all. Now with a z06 with bolt ons (intake, Exhaust, Chip,.. ect). The cobra will need to be in the 500+ WHP to beat one.

You must not know much abought Z06s. Exhaust is pretty much a useless mod for them without heads and cam work. A chip?! give me a break man. Even a dyno tune isn't going to benefit a huge ammount. I see no reason this guy couldnt have beaten a Z06. If it were cammed though, thats a different story.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Nuke61 said:
Good kill, particularly running up at those speeds :rolling:
Gotta love the top speed eliminator in the SCT chips!
I have long since eclipsed those HP numbers. My car is getting new heads and cams (crower stage IIIs) while I go overseas. TrueBlue Performance has her in NC. They took her to Mustang Week at Myrtle beach and I'm trying to find the video now.
Z06's are monsters but they need to be scarier than stock for most 03-04 Cobras these days.

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Very soon you'll have to change that to specify the C5 Z06s. ;-) I think the C6 Z06s will do pretty well even in stock trim - 500 bhp should be about 430 or so rwhp, which is right in the H/C/I range for a C5. They also weigh the same as a C5 Z06, and they have bigger meats out back :burnout:

It sounds like even those cars will see the tail lights of your car though.

Last edited:

04Chris

Chicane straightner
Established Member
Nice kill man. I was curious though, why you short shifted out of 5th into 6th at 4k rpms. The car will hit the factory speed limiter in 5th with a few rpms left over.

03CobraBro

Established Member
mr.aqua said:
I CALL BS on this z06 should rape a cobra at higher speeds. the z06 didn't know how to drive

Assuming his Cobra weighs the same as it did stock, and he is making atleast 450RWHP (that's probably on the conservative side) thats 8.1lbs per hp and a stock Z06 which puts out 350RWHP (as they all do stock) is right around 8.8lbs per hp... What is not to beleive here? You didnt honestly think that the Vettes aero advantage was going to make up for a fairly large difference in power to weight ratios did you? Yeah the SN95 body styles are not quite as aero dynamic as the C5 but its not like were talking about a Jeep Wrangler here.

Last edited:

caindo

Established Member
:rockon:
Nuke61 said:
Very soon you'll have to change that to specify the C5 Z06s. ;-) I think the C6 Z06s will do pretty well even in stock trim - 500 bhp should be about 430 or so rwhp, which is right in the H/C/I range for a C5. They also weigh the same as a C5 Z06, and they have bigger meats out back :burnout:

It sounds like even those cars will see the tail lights of your car though.

BHP? its 505hp LS7 7.0 all motor. and NO, said cobra in this thread WILL NOT hang with a c6 Z06. 0-60 in 3.8sec all in 1st gear (which tops out at 63). :rockon:

thenoz

SHUT THE F*CK UP CHARLES
Established Member
Blue03Cobra said:
The point is quit shitting on a perfectly reasonable kill thread. You wanna start smack, keep it in Smack Down.
:beer:

The Rooster

Banned
DaleM said:
He did have his wife in the car but she looked like a small girl from the chest up. We both waved at each other as he pulled past at highway speed. Vehicle weights weren't much different I bet.

I do also have Corbeau race seats and rear seat delete. You can call BS till your blue in the face...you'll have as much luck as the Z06 owner last weekend. I have no top speed limiter or rev limiter here...Whipple in the garage baby. No doubt a modded Z06 would beat me..maybe! At least he was cool about it.
I'm sure there is a point aerodynamics come in to play but not up to 158mph as far as I could tell.

Small girl from the chest up? I would sell the ZO6 and buy an 03 cobra and spend the change on mods with some breast implant on the side and things should be set right here! There is just no other way to see it...

Remember, without evil there can be no good, so it must be good to be evil some of the time...

The Rooster

Banned
The Rooster said:
Small girl from the chest up? I would sell the ZO6 and buy an 03 cobra and spend the change on mods with some breast implant on the side and things should be set right here! There is just no other way to see it...

Remember, without evil there can be no good, so it must be good to be evil some of the time...

I don't know what is worse, a small chested girl or being seen in a ZO6...

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
04Chris said:
Nice kill man. I was curious though, why you short shifted out of 5th into 6th at 4k rpms. The car will hit the factory speed limiter in 5th with a few rpms left over.
It was a rookie error and my heart was pounding like set of Indian drums preparing to go on the war path.
At the drag strip shifting out of 4th never happens, on the highway trying to outrun the enemy adds a new dimension.

Last edited by a moderator:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
67scstang said:
Good Kill!! Everyone thinks the Z06 is unbeatable. I have beat two in my 457rwhp '67 Coupe, from a stop light and another top end to 150. Also I have line up aginst two at a stop light on my '04 and they did not want to race. Go Figure. There is no BS here, just a good kill.:thumbsup:
Man I bet that 67 Coupe is some ride! Nice!!!

four o two

Some ricer...
Established Member
mr.aqua said:
LOL. Gateways.. suck. To the coment that the cobra is not a drag car.. what else can you do with it.. I'm just curious. I have seen people do auto x in them and it is fun to watch but really. they are a muscle car and shine in going fast. Its like buying an s2000 to drag race it.. only retards to that. I agree, domestics in the states generally dominate in drag but in area's like drift and auto x and track courses cobra's are not built for it.. i'd like to see a cobra video of someone tracking it that would be nice for a change.

pz
This is where you're totally off base. You just said, "what else can you do with it" and then you proceed to inform us that Mustangs are "not built for" auto-x and track courses. So, which is it moron? Mustangs aren't muscle cars, they're pony cars. Don't come in spouting that stuff when you obviously have no idea behind the car's history.

Mustangs will handle arguably just as good as an S2000 stock. Yeah, you heard me say it. .88G on a skidpad isn't anything to underestimate. Believe it or not, the new Mustangs with the IRS can pull those numbers or better. Now imagine them with suspension work.

I'd much rather have a Mustang with a usable power band that some high strung VTEC 4 cylinder with very little mod potential. When it comes down to bang for the buck performance, the Cobra and the S2000 are on complete opposite sides of the spectrum.

Last edited:

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
four o two said:
Mustangs will handle arguably just as good as an S2000 stock. Yeah, you heard me say it. .88G on a skidpad isn't anything to underestimate.

Lot's more to handling than a static skidpad. When you actually have to turn left and right, the 600' slalom speed is more representative of real world performance. The following 600' slalom numbers are from MotorTrend:

Mustang SVT Cobra -- 65.4 mph
Honda S2000 -------- 68.6 mph
Viper SRT-10 -------- 70.4 mph
Corvette Z06 -------- 70.4 mph
Lancer Evo ---------- 71.4 mph
Mosler MT900 ------- 74.7 mph

On the 600' slalom, 2 mph is a big difference, and 4 mph is huge. The difference between the Cobra and S2000 is 3 seconds.

I'm not saying you can't *make* the Cobra into a wonderful corner turner, but to say that it's arguably as good a handler as an S2000 in stock trim is silly.

All but S2000
S2000 slalom

Users who are viewing this thread