z/28 vs 911 Carrera 'S' (993)

primetime

Established Member
JWC said:
I have a 03 KB Cobra making 565 RWHP and I have just purchased a 02 Porsche 996 TT with 7,911 miles on it. The 996 will flat out handle the bends and in a straight line it AINT slow. I am not sure about the "40 years to get it right" thing.

How do you like the 911? Any impressions you could share would be appreciated. I am looking at one also. It is an 02 with 16K miles and is in mint condition, they want 79K and the blue book is 84K. I offered 75K but they said no. I left my number and expect a call any day now as with winter drawing near they won't want this car sitting around. imo later Ron

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
primetime said:
How do you like the 911? Any impressions you could share would be appreciated. I am looking at one also. It is an 02 with 16K miles and is in mint condition, they want 79K and the blue book is 84K. I offered 75K but they said no. I left my number and expect a call any day now as with winter drawing near they won't want this car sitting around. imo later Ron
Damn 80k for a 2002 model. Guess they are a bit more pricey than they are here.

How common are 911's in the States. Personally they are way too common over here and it really takes the exotic feel away from them. On the way to work this morning on one short road (1-2 miles long) I saw 1 new 911 Carrera S and 4 Coxsters. A little way down the road I saw a Cayan S and another new 911, which might also have been a Carrera S.

primetime

Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
Damn 80k for a 2002 model. Guess they are a bit more pricey than they are here.

How common are 911's in the States. Personally they are way too common over here and it really takes the exotic feel away from them. On the way to work this morning on one short road (1-2 miles long) I saw 1 new 911 Carrera S and 4 Coxsters. A little way down the road I saw a Cayan S and another new 911, which might also have been a Carrera S.

911's aren't that common, especially turbo ones. It is really a function of where you live and the income of the people around. A new 911 turbo goes for over 120K and with some options gets up there really quick. Yes, I see lots of boxsters and Cayanes(sp). I am also starting to see more and more Cayman's but since they are still relatively new the roads aren't flodded with them. later Ron

Fishey

Established Member
What is done to the camaro?

Also, all newier 911s made after say 1989 handle like soap stock. The front end understeers so bad when entering tight corners. The 993s are the worst in stock forum. The factory shocks are horrible and the swaybars are way undersized. The body roll is also horrible so when the back end does pop out when heavily provoked (will not do it unless you are trying) recovering the soft supensioned car almost impossible.

Also, don't even refer to the 996 (non turbo/GT model) as a 911. Its not a 911 and never will be. The carrera cars are a disgrace to all the 911s that came before them.

openaccount

Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
I assume you mean yorself?

If you have something to say, say it.

But it's true about the races and this is indeed a MID engined car:
gt1_4.jpg

This is pretty much the most recent car Porshce has compaigned and dominated with. And they new when the going got tough to move the engine to the middle of the car. In GT racing at present the Aston Martin DB9 and Corvette Z06 have pretty much dominated with some of the Ferrari's doing pretty well as well.

And the location of the 911's engine had nothing to do with handling initially, Ferdinand (sp?) Porsche had no say over the engine location as his original cars where desinged off of the "Peoples car" or Volkswagon Beetle. There's a classic picture of Hitler riding in one. And it had its engine in the back, and since the 911 was derived from previous Porsches its easy to see why it too was rear engined.

But that aside the moder 911's are extremly capable cars.

I never mentioned engine placement in the racing cars. Porsche is not in the GT with the corvette and aston, they are in GT3. And the GT1 was not porsches most dominate racer, the 917, the 962, etc etc...

I know the GT1 is mid engine, i know way more about porsche than you do TRUST me.

The 911 has always been touchy but when driven right it was the best cars. You keep saying the old porsches couldnt handle, ever heard of the 73' 911 RS???? Please dont speak when you dont know what your talking about.

GT1 is not the only class for racing. You have SCCA, where porsche is winning with 2 rookie drivers(against your Z06 vettes, CTSV caddies, aston matrins etc..), you have lemans GT3 where porsche dominates, you have All the other leagues, FIA like you mentioned before were porsche dominates the GT3 class. They are not in the same class as the C6R or the DB9R. The have a new car in the LMP2 class where it has won quite a few races. The new LMP2 car is the first porsche backed race car since the GT1, but again does not race agaisnt the corvettes, or astons, it will be cometing with audis next season, Porsche also plans on making a car for LMP1 to compete against the audi R10. So please before you claim that porsche isnt wining races check the classes your looking at. And most of the Leagues race 3-4 classes at the same time, so when you see cars getting passed regularly it means they are in a lower class.

Porsche has been winning with all its cars on a regualr basis since the begining, they've won races in multiple racing series including WRC, its not just the modern cars. THERE IS A reason why porsche got the reputation.

Last edited:

JWC

Established Member
Hey Ron, I have put about 2,000 miles on the Porsche since I picked it up. It's an awsome car, very solid feeling; no shakes rattles, or noise. Quality of materials as you have seen is top notch. Mine is an X50 with the tiptronic transmission. They are faster that I thought but I just can't quite figure out how to launch from a dead stop. My son took it to the dragstrip last nignt and is slower than me taking off, he had a 2.4 60' and ran 12.80 @118 mph. He said the car was cold because some on had just wrecked and when they finally got the mess cleaned up he didn't have time to let the car heat up. These turbo cars are the opposite of our Cobras they need heat to GO.

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
openaccount said:
I never mentioned engine placement in the racing cars.
You implied, so same difference.

openaccount said:
Porsche is not in the GT with the corvette and aston, they are in GT3.
Yes but if it's such a great car why are they only floudering in GT3. Years back they didn't they used to run in the higher classes, GT, GT1, GT3 and GTO.

openaccount said:
And the GT1 was not porsches most dominate racer, the 917, the 962, etc etc...
And quite what relavence has this to do with a road going 911. During that period of racing history there where many wild cars not just Porsche, in fact the entire race class was banned not just the Porsches.

openaccount said:
I know the GT1 is mid engine, i know way more about porsche than you do TRUST me.
Well bully for you. Guess it makes you feel superior?

openaccount said:
The 911 has always been touchy but when driven right it was the best cars. You keep saying the old porsches couldnt handle, ever heard of the 73' 911 RS????
Well if you are even 10% as clever as you think your are, try and READ what I've posted. Where have I said they can't handle. All I've said is they probably weren't designed for handling, because Porsche was using an exisiting platform from VW which wasn't desinged for handling. I've also said the early cars where a handful, which they are. GO and ask ANY motoring journolist. I've also stated that they have a reputation - which again they do.

So STOP trying to read between the lines :nono:

openaccount said:
Please dont speak when you dont know what your talking about.
Well you keep claiming you KNOW everything, yet have not managed to provide anything substantial.

I'm not calling you out, or calling you a lier. But why should you have any more credability for what you say?

openaccount said:
GT1 is not the only class for racing. You have SCCA, where porsche is winning with 2 rookie drivers(against your Z06 vettes, CTSV caddies, aston matrins etc..), you have lemans GT3 where porsche dominates, you have All the other leagues, FIA like you mentioned before were porsche dominates the GT3 class. They are not in the same class as the C6R or the DB9R. The have a new car in the LMP2 class where it has won quite a few races. The new LMP2 car is the first porsche backed race car since the GT1, but again does not race agaisnt the corvettes, or astons, it will be cometing with audis next season, Porsche also plans on making a car for LMP1 to compete against the audi R10.
That's all very nice. But and its a BIG BUT

Where have I said modern Porsches don't handle.

However on a side note for the majority of racing where Porsche 911's do well just have a look at the competition. Usually they are in a class where they count for over half the class racing, so by shear numbers they should do well against smaller teams only competing 1 or 2 cars instead of 15.

openaccount said:
So please before you claim that porsche isnt wining races check the classes your looking at.
Also remember not all the race series you keep siting are actually shown in the UK.

openaccount said:
And most of the Leagues race 3-4 classes at the same time, so when you see cars getting passed regularly it means they are in a lower class.
No shit Sherlock

openaccount said:
Porsche has been winning with all its cars on a regualr basis since the begining,
Again go check the ratio of Porsche's to other makes.

YES they do win
YES they have been successful

However do I think they are the greatest gift to the automotive world - NO I FRIGGING DON'T - so stop trying to make ouy that they are!

openaccount said:
they've won races in multiple racing series including WRC
Now you are talking shit. The WRC didn't even exist under that title the last time Porshce compeated.

And yes the 959 was successful, winning the Paris Dakar. But that's not the discussion is it?

openaccount said:
its not just the modern cars. THERE IS A reason why porsche got the reputation.
What reputation.

In fact if you love Porsche so much what on Earth are you doing on this website?

poopy01

My car is slow
Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
That's all very nice. But it doesn't change my view. 911's have held a reputation since their creation. And yes I'm sure they all do handle in a fashion, but on a twisty B road the older cars (964) where a real handful.

As for winning races??? Well I'm not too sure on that, Porsche have pretty muched sucked in the FIA and British GT Championships. Even though they often count as over half the field.

And by the way, the Le Mans cars you are talking about where mid engined not rear. Porsche 911 GT1.

Also it wasn't meant literally, take it tonge in cheek. :)
your an asshat

primetime

Established Member
JWC said:
Hey Ron, I have put about 2,000 miles on the Porsche since I picked it up. It's an awsome car, very solid feeling; no shakes rattles, or noise. Quality of materials as you have seen is top notch. Mine is an X50 with the tiptronic transmission. They are faster that I thought but I just can't quite figure out how to launch from a dead stop. My son took it to the dragstrip last nignt and is slower than me taking off, he had a 2.4 60' and ran 12.80 @118 mph. He said the car was cold because some on had just wrecked and when they finally got the mess cleaned up he didn't have time to let the car heat up. These turbo cars are the opposite of our Cobras they need heat to GO.

Thanks! The one I am looking at is a manual trans. My S4 is tiptronic and I can't stand it. I am sure the Porsche version is much better but I enjoy rowing the gears. I can never get a good launch in my S either, as I can only stall it up to about 2000RPM.

Had a message from the dealer on Saturday but I am going to wait a few days before I call them back. Supposedly the owner wants to handle the sale and talk to me about the car. Typical car dealer stuff but will see. There is another place fairly close to me that has a couple for sale so I may go check them out. If nothing pans out I will wait until the spring. Thanks for the info. later Ron

Almo

Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
lol, what are they designed for??? With an engine in the arse they where hardly designed for handling, hence the name the Widow Maker.

Although the modern 996's and newer are actually pretty good, but it has taken nearly 40 years for Porsche to get there :D

:dw: HAHAHA... are you kidding me, shows you how much you know. :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:

I need not say anything else to support you not knowing very much!!!! :lol1:

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
Almo said:
:dw: HAHAHA... are you kidding me, shows you how much you know. :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:

Alright then Mr clever dick, what EXACTLY do you dispute?

Go and find me some article that claim the original 911 was designed purly for handling. Or maybe something that disproves the reputation 911's have had?

Go on and don't back out of another call out!

Almo

Established Member
Ok bright one, you called me out once with the modded Mach 1 I stated was running 11.50s and still NA... you kept on and on and saying it couldn't be done, I told you it could be done and said to you I didn't have to post anything to prove to you. Again, you kept on and on thinking you were making me look bad until I got tired of your a$$ and posted a Vid so you would stop your immature posts... when I did post a Vid of one doing what was claimed, you tucked your tail and disappeared; so don't act like your a big guy thinking you might be right for once for calling out someone when your full of shit. I know you're not the smartest person and matter of fact we have seen how troubled you are when trying to interpret posts (see my sig to help you remember if needed!) Also, let me help you put everything in order so you can get your assumptions changed around so you can understand what was being posted.

300bhp/ton said:
lol, what are they designed for??? With an engine in the arse they where hardly designed for handling, hence the name the Widow Maker.[/Qoute]

Almo said:

First - You’re asking as if to help you find the answer… :loser:

Second – Are you seriously retarded? Asking me to verify what you’re calling me out on. You have to be seriously shitting me right? You could have saved face and read some history about the Porsche to see how honed in they are with weight distro in their cars to make them one of the best handling production cars.

I have to ask, do you do this to make yourself look dumb or are you hoping there will be one time out of a million you just might be guestimating that you might be right? You have done this a couple times with me and tell you the truth, you look like a dumba$$. Not to mention asking me to verify what you are. Again, you could have saved face and just read a little history about the Porsche. :nonono: You're something else for sure... anyone knowing a little about the history of Porsche knows even since the 70s and 80s when the 924 was in production, they were designed to out handle any car in their class. Furthermore, their production cars have always set a level of performance for handling by creating a car that each and every year is very close to 50/50 distro in weight. :rollseyes Again, you look like a dumba$$ for asking what you did. What I don't understand is why you didn't just go read something so you wouldn't look retarded for stating what you did. :nonono: By the way, the 944 with it's weight balance almost exactly 50/50 has been noted as one of the best handling production cars ever produced.

I don't even know why I waste my time with you. Learn to read dude, that would really help you out instead of you just assuming what you're stating has meaning.

Last edited:

Almo

Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
Go and find me some article that claim the original 911 was designed purly for handling. Or maybe something that disproves the reputation 911's have had?

By the way, you do have trouble reading and comprehending things don't you??? Go and find where I stated Porsche's were solely built for handling? Where did I state that? You truly are a bright one aren't you? :kaboom:

Never mind, don't answer the first question... it can be answered in the thread posted below

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315648&page=19

Last edited:

Almo

Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
In fact if you love Porsche so much what on Earth are you doing on this website?

:kaboom: You own a Z28 and posting on a SVT site and you're actually saying the above to someone else.

I stand by my statements of you not being too smart. :nonono:

Almo

Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
I am the most retarded individual on this board. :??:

:lol:

:loser: :loser: :loser:

By the way, you show how lame you can be with your replies. Nothing more than to go tuck your tail and hide again. :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:

Last edited:

Fishey

Established Member
Man, this thread is pretty dumb...

First, anyone that drives a camaro should pretty much not talk about handling. Secondly, Trying to claim that a porsche isn't a good track/handling car just promotes the fact that you should stick with your english mullet. Third, If you don't have a ton of first hand experiance with the cars you are talking about then you should really leave it up to the pro's. (aka Me)

The 911 is a great handling car for any year of production (except 1965-1968) becuase there wheelbase was just to short. Other then that the 911 is one of the best packages avalible for racing. The amount of people running the cars should be a clear sign of just how good the cars are in there class. Also, to say that the 911 isn't a key cause for many of the restrictions we see at the race track today is just stupid. Please stick with drag racing and mullet growing 300bhp/ton.

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
For pitys sake READ my posts, don't just hear what you want.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never said they are not good race cars nor shunned the modern Porsche 911. All I have said repeatedly is the 911 has a fearsome reputation - Which it frigging does!!!

Also that it was not "designed" for handling, because the basic layout was dictated by what was available at the time in War Torn Germany.

Also are you seriously dening that early 911's aren't a handful? Espcially on a tight twisted, bumpy B road. Oh hang on I bet you've never even driven on such a road have you?

And as for handling, well being as drag racing is next to non-existent in the UK handling is a large part of driving. I have a stripped out Tr7 V8 which weighs 2600lb for that very purpose, I've also owned mid engined cars in the past. And I have friends who own Porshces.

Fishey said:
Man, this thread is pretty dumb...

First, anyone that drives a camaro should pretty much not talk about handling.
Know you are just being an arrogant dick. The Camaro is as good a car as any in its class and price range. And having gone from a V12 XJS with IRS I can say the Camaro actually handles pretty well for a big car, just a little wollowy on higher speed corners.

Fishey said:
Secondly, Trying to claim that a porsche isn't a good track/handling car just promotes the fact that you should stick with your english mullet.
1. Lay off with the racial slurs, or is that the level you have to stoop down too.

2. SHOW ME WHERE I SAID (WITH A QUOTE) THE PORSHCE ISN'T A GOOD TRACK CAR!

Fishey said:
Third, If you don't have a ton of first hand experiance with the cars you are talking about then you should really leave it up to the pro's. (aka Me)
Ok then if you are a Pro, what is your profession? What claim do you have to be a Pro.

Or is it mearly the size of your wallet has deluded you. Being rich does not make you a pro. And claiming to be so under such circumstances makes you a twat.

Fishey said:
The 911 is a great handling car for any year of production (except 1965-1968) becuase there wheelbase was just to short.
Well where does the 911's fearsome reputation come from then?

Not too mention the horrible yuppy years of the 80's where Porsche aimed at the filofax brigade.

Fishey said:
Other then that the 911 is one of the best packages avalible for racing.
There are many many alternatives to Porsches, some better, some equal, some cheaper, some more expensive and some not so good.

But what racing are you referring too?

Fishey said:
The amount of people running the cars should be a clear sign of just how good the cars are in there class.
So popularity means good does it? Flawed logic I think. More V6 Mustangs exist than V8's, so does that mean the V6 is the better car?

Although being picky I do know the point you are trying to make. But there's more to it in racing, price and factory support help a lot. And as Porshce is one of the most profitable car makers in this day its easy for them to supply read to race cars also. Smaller company's like TVR and Morgan don't have the financial resources to fun it in the same manor.

although when TVR where campagining in the British FIA chapionship in the same class as Porsche they actually did very well.

Fishey said:
Also, to say that the 911 isn't a key cause for many of the restrictions we see at the race track today is just stupid.
What the f@ck are you talking about, I've never said anything of the sort, or even remotly connected. So please once again stop making up crap and actually read my posts instead of make them up.

Fishey said:
Please stick with drag racing and mullet growing 300bhp/ton.
1. Once again with the personal attacks and insults - you really are low if you have to stoop to this.

2. Drag racing, as previously stated does not exist over hear really and even less so on the streets. In fact 99% of street racing involves handling and corners and I've raced several vehicles in slower cars and proved equal, this is down to handling and driving skill, not HP.

Users who are viewing this thread