z/28 vs 911 Carrera 'S' (993)

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
Went from 70mph to 120-130mph. They had the jump, was level for a few seconds and I slowly started pulling on them. 3+ lengths. :D

Did this 3 times or so, I was two up in the car and they where on their own.

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
Nah I think the 1st Carrera S the 993 shape not the 996 only had like 285bhp and about 1400kg (3080lb).

I'm pretty close to stock, just a few bolt ons at present. Still it was nice to win, and you should have seen the guy in the Porsche afterwards - he was furious :lol:

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
lol, what are they designed for??? With an engine in the arse they where hardly designed for handling, hence the name the Widow Maker.

Although the modern 996's and newer are actually pretty good, but it has taken nearly 40 years for Porsche to get there :D

openaccount

Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
lol, what are they designed for??? With an engine in the arse they where hardly designed for handling, hence the name the Widow Maker.

Although the modern 996's and newer are actually pretty good, but it has taken nearly 40 years for Porsche to get there :D

Wow your actually serious?

You do relize Porsche has been winning races since their first cars over 50 yrs ago.

Porsche has won more races and championships than any other company.

The location of the engine makes the car tricky to handle but a good driver will make the car fly. but it makes the car ride on a knife edge at limits which means a mistake will send you off the road.

They were made for handling from day 1, it was part of Ferdnad Porsche pilosiphy for his cars, learn how to really drive, then drive one and youll know.

The new cars are WAY softer and easier to drive, and less touchy at the limits. Any hard core Porsche nut or track racer doesnt like the new Porsches as much as the old ones. Hence why the GT3 series and GT2 are so popular, because they reflect the way the OLD porsche acted.

Take a look at any race series, the 911 has and continues to win the majority of races, and this is with a 3.8l 6cyl, vs 7l v-8's and 8.3l v-10's.

If you do some research i believe Porsche has one something like 53% of the races they have entered, which means if your racing with porsche in the field they more than likely will win. Also take a look at previous lemans, when porsche has raced they have DOMINATED, which is why lemans has changed the rules many times to force porsche to detune their cars.

And for the guy who said they cant go in straight line.. these guys will disagree...
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55163

Cozmo4196

Established Member
300bhp/ton said:

That is easily the must misinformed and incorrect post that I have ever read on this board...go read a book or something and get back to me.

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
Went from 70mph to 120-130mph. They had the jump, was level for a few seconds and I slowly started pulling on them. 3+ lengths. :D

Did this 3 times or so, I was two up in the car and they where on their own.
My boss has a Carrera S also. I mentioned a race & he gave me a "Yeah Right" little chuckle.:nono: I feel better about it now, my Cobra makes 458 to the wheels. We'll see who's laughin after we run....:coolman:

JWC

Established Member
I have a 03 KB Cobra making 565 RWHP and I have just purchased a 02 Porsche 996 TT with 7,911 miles on it. The 996 will flat out handle the bends and in a straight line it AINT slow. I am not sure about the "40 years to get it right" thing.

scorcher2005

USMC
Established Member
300bhp/ton said:

:bash:

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
openaccount said:
Wow your actually serious?

You do relize Porsche has been winning races since their first cars over 50 yrs ago.

Porsche has won more races and championships than any other company.

The location of the engine makes the car tricky to handle but a good driver will make the car fly. but it makes the car ride on a knife edge at limits which means a mistake will send you off the road.

They were made for handling from day 1, it was part of Ferdnad Porsche pilosiphy for his cars, learn how to really drive, then drive one and youll know.

The new cars are WAY softer and easier to drive, and less touchy at the limits. Any hard core Porsche nut or track racer doesnt like the new Porsches as much as the old ones. Hence why the GT3 series and GT2 are so popular, because they reflect the way the OLD porsche acted.

Take a look at any race series, the 911 has and continues to win the majority of races, and this is with a 3.8l 6cyl, vs 7l v-8's and 8.3l v-10's.

If you do some research i believe Porsche has one something like 53% of the races they have entered, which means if your racing with porsche in the field they more than likely will win. Also take a look at previous lemans, when porsche has raced they have DOMINATED, which is why lemans has changed the rules many times to force porsche to detune their cars.

And for the guy who said they cant go in straight line.. these guys will disagree...
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55163
That's all very nice. But it doesn't change my view. 911's have held a reputation since their creation. And yes I'm sure they all do handle in a fashion, but on a twisty B road the older cars (964) where a real handful.

As for winning races??? Well I'm not too sure on that, Porsche have pretty muched sucked in the FIA and British GT Championships. Even though they often count as over half the field.

And by the way, the Le Mans cars you are talking about where mid engined not rear. Porsche 911 GT1.

Also it wasn't meant literally, take it tonge in cheek. :)

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
Cozmo4196 said:
That is easily the must misinformed and incorrect post that I have ever read on this board...go read a book or something and get back to me.
Why not enlighten me then, go on! :rollseyes

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
lloyyd said:
My boss has a Carrera S also. I mentioned a race & he gave me a "Yeah Right" little chuckle.:nono: I feel better about it now, my Cobra makes 458 to the wheels. We'll see who's laughin after we run....:coolman:
Watch out though, I raced an OLDER Carrera S, the later ones 996 shape are a lot faster and a lot more powerful. But I think you should still have the straight line edge.

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
JWC said:
I have a 03 KB Cobra making 565 RWHP and I have just purchased a 02 Porsche 996 TT with 7,911 miles on it. The 996 will flat out handle the bends and in a straight line it AINT slow. I am not sure about the "40 years to get it right" thing.
Well thanks.

You see this is what I meant, the modern 996 is an awesome machine, even if its not the best looking 911. But how long has the 911 been in production to get it to this state?

and yes they do handle well. Top Gear did a road test on the Isle of Man using part of the TT course. Stock 911 Carrera 2, BMW M6 (500bhp) and the New V8 Aston Martin. The Porshce was considerably faster than the other two cars over the distance, even though it had a lot less HP.

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
openaccount said:
ignorance is bliss. sigh, more misinformation
I assume you mean yorself?

If you have something to say, say it.

But it's true about the races and this is indeed a MID engined car:
gt1_4.jpg

This is pretty much the most recent car Porshce has compaigned and dominated with. And they new when the going got tough to move the engine to the middle of the car. In GT racing at present the Aston Martin DB9 and Corvette Z06 have pretty much dominated with some of the Ferrari's doing pretty well as well.

And the location of the 911's engine had nothing to do with handling initially, Ferdinand (sp?) Porsche had no say over the engine location as his original cars where desinged off of the "Peoples car" or Volkswagon Beetle. There's a classic picture of Hitler riding in one. And it had its engine in the back, and since the 911 was derived from previous Porsches its easy to see why it too was rear engined.

But that aside the moder 911's are extremly capable cars.

Users who are viewing this thread