Your choice of wax

SVT_ DRiX

Established Member
I am not sure of your situation, but you do know that clay is an abrasive right? Yes it will help keep your paint smooth, but it strips your wax/sealant and almost always induces marring. Even with the finer grades you can get slight to moderate marring of the paint. Half the time it isn't the clay itself it is usually the operator not re-kneading the clay often or the inevitable instance where the clay is sliding the contaminant on the paint, hence forth scratching it. So even if you do wash, clay, wax your still not avoiding the problem. Most people, mainly detailers, recommend at least a polish after claying for a good finish otherwise your just covering all of the self inflicted imperfections. If I ever clay, I will at minimum polish then re-seal and top with my wax of choice. Just food for thought, not saying you are doing a bad job just offering some advice! :beer:

Thank you for the advice! I will remember that next time :beer:

r2kool4u

Blah Blah
Established Member
I used to use Meguiars NXT 2.0 liquid and just used Meguiars Ultimate Paste last night. Both are awesome wax (I have way more experience with the NXT liquid but I will keep you updated how the Ultimate paste is doing. I will say it doesn't have as slippery of a finish as the NXT, but it seemed like it is a nice hard layer of protection from the elements.

Broke

Established Member
Is Surf City any good? I've seen there products at Wal Mart. I am weary of anything sold by Wal Mart for my Mustang.

mnewxcv

Established Member
i used to go with over the counter meguiars waxes, either cleaner or nxt paste, now im sold on colinite 476

oldmodman

Established Member
Is Surf City any good? I've seen there products at Wal Mart. I am weary of anything sold by Walmart for my Mustang.

Yes. Surf City makes a good line of products. But they are attempting to broaden their markets by putting it in PepBoys, Walmart, and other similar outlets. But it is a good line of detailing products.

is autogym high definition wax good

Autoglym is a relatively high end wax. Another line that failed at Walmart due to it's higher than super cheapo pricing. It is difficult to find in the USA. More common in Canada.

Broke

Established Member
Thanks I'll have to give some of the products a try. I picked up Groits detailer and microfibers yesterday at Advance Auto. Nice to see good products being able to be bought OTC.

1hot281

Established Member
is autogym high definition wax good

It's pretty good. I bought some while it was still available at Walmart.

As far as looks, it's on par with other boutique waxes like Poorboy's Natty Paste Wax and Zymol Cream. It's durability is also pretty strong. Outlasts Mothers Carnauba paste wax and Meguiar's Gold Class paste wax.

SVT_ DRiX

Established Member
That's what were all here for, I learn something new everyday here on this forum! :read:

Is there anything I can use with the Porta Cable to take out real fine imperfections in the paint? Like very light scratches here and there? I know how to take a buffer and really grind out nasty things and make it look good, I do it at work all the time, but that is overkill for what I have in my personal car. I'm looking for other methods of paint correction that are lighter on the paint and use a little finesse. lol

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Is there anything I can use with the Porta Cable to take out real fine imperfections in the paint? Like very light scratches here and there? I know how to take a buffer and really grind out nasty things and make it look good, I do it at work all the time, but that is overkill for what I have in my personal car. I'm looking for other methods of paint correction that are lighter on the paint and use a little finesse. lol

They do sell paint cleansers that can help provide a good surface for wax and in general use fillers for light imperfections! This is not the way I recommend, I recommend using Meg's 205 or Ultimate Compound, both of which have lighter cut and are a pleasure to work with in my opinion.

1hot281

Established Member

Zymol HD-Cleanse takes care of light imperfections and is applied by hand.

ZYMOL HD-CLEANSE 8.5 oz

If you're dead set on using the Porter Cable, I'd recommend starting with Griot's Machine Polish #3 and following up with Griot's Machine Polish #4. If the imperfections are extremely light, you can jump straight to Machine Polish #4.

Machine Polish 3 (Very Mild Polish) 16 Ounces - Griot's Garage
Machine Polish 4 (Finest Polish) 16 Ounces - Griot's Garage

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Collonite 845. Wow.

Ive never seen a car bead up like earlier when I washed my fusion for the first time after a claybar and application of 845. Holy shit. Even Klasse glaze on a clayd/polished surface didnt bead up that good on the 1st wash.

I dont think ill use anything else on a daily driven car ever again.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I have been using Meguires NXT 2.0 paste and have been happy with the results. Just bought a bottle of Meguires Ultimate Liquid to try.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Collonite 845. Wow.

Ive never seen a car bead up like earlier when I washed my fusion for the first time after a claybar and application of 845. Holy shit. Even Klasse glaze on a clayd/polished surface didnt bead up that good on the 1st wash.

I dont think ill use anything else on a daily driven car ever again.

I totally agree, it was no fair to compare 3 coats of KSG to the Collonite 845. When you consider it took me an entire weekend to layer the KSG (12 hour cure time per coat) against the 25 minutes for one coat of the 845 that looked and beaded better. I wont be using anything else on my vehicles in the foreseeable future.

Users who are viewing this thread