Your choice of wax

04OrangePeel

03Zinc
Established Member
What type of wax are you all using on your cars?? About to buy some and need advice for the cobra. Thanks

redrocket16

Established Member
What are your expectations for the wax/sealant?

How long would you like the product to last and do you have access to a porter cable to put a sealant on the car? The next question should be paste wax or carnuba. Before you wax I would highly suggest a clay bar and detail spray to bring the wax to its semi full potential. Polish in between clay and wax would be the best option if you have the time and products necessary.

George Wax

Established Member
I agree with all of the above. At a bare minimum clay bar the paint surface first. Depending on the overall condition of your paint surface and time constraints. You be amazed what a good quality cleaner wax can do for your paint surface. For example a nice quick detail would be 1. Wash and dry the paint surface. 2. Clay Bar the paint surface. 3. Use Meguiars Cleaner Wax 4. Finish with Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax (very thin coat). This process is very easy and straight forward and can be accomplished with by hand or with a dual action polisher of your choice. I prefer the Porter Cable dual action polisher.

RCRAMIE

Established Member
On the DD in the family I take care of #845, well priced, long lasting, easy on easy off and no staining.

I have used BFWD and have no problem recommend it also a lot of people like 4star UPP

SVT_ DRiX

Established Member
I stay on top of my car, if its dirty, it isnt for very long. Even if I know rain is in the forecast, I'll still give it a wash and wax just for the protection. I usually always use Meguires Tech Wax. A quick claybar job every few washes keeps the paint nice and smooth too. There are so many products out there, and lots of them are great, it comes down to personal taste and how you like to apply it. I use a Porta Cable.

T0RCH3D

Established Member
I stay on top of my car, if its dirty, it isnt for very long. Even if I know rain is in the forecast, I'll still give it a wash and wax just for the protection. I usually always use Meguires Tech Wax. A quick claybar job every few washes keeps the paint nice and smooth too. There are so many products out there, and lots of them are great, it comes down to personal taste and how you like to apply it. I use a Porta Cable.

I am not sure of your situation, but you do know that clay is an abrasive right? Yes it will help keep your paint smooth, but it strips your wax/sealant and almost always induces marring. Even with the finer grades you can get slight to moderate marring of the paint. Half the time it isn't the clay itself it is usually the operator not re-kneading the clay often or the inevitable instance where the clay is sliding the contaminant on the paint, hence forth scratching it. So even if you do wash, clay, wax your still not avoiding the problem. Most people, mainly detailers, recommend at least a polish after claying for a good finish otherwise your just covering all of the self inflicted imperfections. If I ever clay, I will at minimum polish then re-seal and top with my wax of choice. Just food for thought, not saying you are doing a bad job just offering some advice! :beer:

RoscoP

Established Member
Zaino is awesome! Zaino Store I have used their products for the last 15 years. The dust blows off and any dirt washes off easily. In fact a crow dropped his load on my hood and my kid tried to wipe it off and it looked like the clear coat was scratched. Washed the hood with Dawn to strip the 9 layers off and the clear coat was perfect. I strip and clay bar every two to three years and have been impressed with the Zaino line.

shad2009

Tungsten GT
Established Member
I am not sure of your situation, but you do know that clay is an abrasive right? Yes it will help keep your paint smooth, but it strips your wax/sealant and almost always induces marring. Even with the finer grades you can get slight to moderate marring of the paint. Half the time it isn't the clay itself it is usually the operator not re-kneading the clay often or the inevitable instance where the clay is sliding the contaminant on the paint, hence forth scratching it. So even if you do wash, clay, wax your still not avoiding the problem. Most people, mainly detailers, recommend at least a polish after claying for a good finish otherwise your just covering all of the self inflicted imperfections. If I ever clay, I will at minimum polish then re-seal and top with my wax of choice. Just food for thought, not saying you are doing a bad job just offering some advice! :beer:

^this:beer:

Stryker27

2Vbeliever
Established Member
+1 Zaino bros. is my go to. I just clayed and stripped off all old wax and did 3 coats of Z2 today, looks absolutely killer very wet looking and very deep. after each coat I spray detailed with there Z6. I've never seen better. I go to some car shows and get alot of Q's on what I'm using ...if that matters at all. I think personal preference is the deciding factor on this one as there is so many good products out there. You can also apply this product in direct sunlight like i did today.

snkchmr 1

Jax is the heat works great on my Kona Blue car. It hides a lot of stuff but does not hold up to washing. What I like about it you can use it in direct sun. Also comes off very easy.

ford20

Established Member
For me I Claybar followed by Zymol Concours glaze into Zymol Carbon. That is if I don't need to correct any flaws in the clearcoat.

Users who are viewing this thread