Your car records and keeps all your text messages

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
In Washington state, Ford won a lawsuit that states it does not invade your privacy if your car downloads and keeps all of your text messages, emails, location data, etc. even if you disconnect your phone from the vehicle. Plus the vehicle stores and keeps all of this information and there’s no way for you to delete it, unless you do a hard reset which theoretically will delete all previous information.

Five big carmakers beat lawsuits alleging infotainment systems invade privacy

Reaper14

Established Member
Disconnect fuse #10 Telematics is on my list of things to do today. Also calling ford to opt out of this & deleting Ford app. I had planned to do this a while back & completely spaced it out until I was reminded today. This is on a 21' S550 5.0

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, you can do that however, if your phone connects to your car, the phone will still download all your messages, emails, etc. and store them there permanently. This is what the issue is the car store that in its memory permanently so that anybody can come and hack in your car and download all that information. At least that’s what it said in the article I posted.

Reaper14

Established Member
Yes, you can do that however, if your phone connects to your car, the phone will still download all your messages, emails, etc. and store them there permanently. This is what the issue is the car store that in its memory permanently so that anybody can come and hack in your car and download all that information. At least that’s what it said in the article I posted.
You are correct. I saved the link for the alleged sync reset that clears the data from ford. Will be erasing the data & will no longer connect my phone. Not that I have anything to hide, just not ok with it. If I was doing something illegal, the last thing I would do is use my phones, emails, or any kind of proof to leave a trace lol. Thanks for posting this info.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
You are correct. I saved the link for the alleged sync reset that clears the data from ford. Will be erasing the data & will no longer connect my phone. Not that I have anything to hide, just not ok with it. If I was doing something illegal, the last thing I would do is use my phones, emails, or any kind of proof to leave a trace lol. Thanks for posting this info.
Care to share that link???

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
Master reset.
Reconnect phone.
Select to NOT download contacts, messages.

All solved.
Nick, upon reading the article I think it automatically downloads your stuff anyways. I have never had my vehicles download my contacts list or messages however I have linked my phone and place calls through my vehicles. The 500 does playback my text messages when in the car and I did not allow it to download my information. I just paired my phone to the vehicle and if the car is reading the text message to me, I’m sure it’s string it in memory.

Upon reading the article that’s not the impression I got.
Are you 100% sure you are correct?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Disconnect fuse #10 Telematics is on my list of things to do today. Also calling ford to opt out of this & deleting Ford app. I had planned to do this a while back & completely spaced it out until I was reminded today. This is on a 21' S550 5.0

Yep. This begin in 2019 I believe on the s550 for mustangs. Not sure which year on other models.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Not sure if you know but I dont download messages, just the contacts. Would this accomplish the same???

Nick, upon reading the article I think it automatically downloads your stuff anyways. I have never had my vehicles download my contacts list or messages however I have linked my phone and place calls through my vehicles. The 500 does playback my text messages when in the car and I did not allow it to download my information. I just paired my phone to the vehicle and if the car is reading the text message to me, I’m sure it’s string it in memory.

Upon reading the article that’s not the impression I got.
Are you 100% sure you are correct?

I don't let it download anything. At that point it just remembers the Bluetooth connection.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't have my phone synced to my f150 or the 350. Having text messages pop up while driving is just another distraction.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Not a problem in any of my cars. Newest one is an 08. No nav, no Bluetooth. Biggest worry is if my cassette deck in the 98 still runs Van Halen II. I'm good. This computer intrusion is let in by all of us.

At work the other day trying to CIP some equipment, the pumps wouldn't turn on. And we had to go through hell to get them back. The tech was saying " who gave these things a brain, and why do we need it here?" I said because we gave it one. Not everything needs a Damn connection to the internet. Your TV, refrigerators, cars, radio, lights, soon your whole home will be. Some creepy program trying to run your home. It's all sold as something to help your busy life. Then it tracks and consumes it.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
My buddy is a detective and tells me that when perps erase their phone, he will impound their car and send it over to autocrime (I believe) who can extract all of the phone data from their CarPlay enabled radio.

Food for thought.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For all the pretty awesome stuff that technology has enabled, shite like this makes me consider the Luddite or Amish life might be better.
Yep! This crap is only going to get worse. We're (private citizens) going to ultimately regret the Digital Age when the bulk of our privacy is POOF!

Users who are viewing this thread