You guys are not going to believe this...

cmnorman

Established Member
I have been keeping a running update of how things have been unfolding with my new Terminator. I bought the car in September of 2016 and all but one week of ownership so far has been spent at ProDyno getting things fixed on it.

I am going down today to pick it up but there is a new problem. While out on the test drive with Dan from ProDyno the other day we stopped and filled the tank with fresh fuel. When he came back to the shop yesterday morning there was a puddle of fuel under the car. After dropping the tank he found that the fuel lines were held in place with some sort of epoxy putty or something ridiculous like that.

As things unfold Dan explains that he can't do anything with the mess they've made and I am going to need to replace the fuel system. The good news is that it will be getting a return style fuel system with all new parts. The bad news is I'm out even more money and time due to someone else's foolishness.

I have traced the car back two owners and neither messed with opening up the motor and goofing with the fuel system. I have come to terms with the fact that it's my mess to clean up and pay for but I just want someone to explain to me why they did such foolish things with this car.

End rant.

Zemedici

Established Member
That is extremely unfortunate, however we've got to keep in mind that these are mustangs, the most widely modified vehicles available today, and that any monkey with access to tools considers himself a 'mechanic' nowadays.

Its always good to have the vehicle fully inspected, or have some extra cash set aside for repairs. When I bought my car I had to put a good bit of money into it immediately.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Sucks, but it happens man. Unfortunetly there are a ton of shady ass people out there.

Similar situation happened to my on my recent cobra purchase. It may cost you money now, but at least you'll have the peace of mind that it was done right and with the parts you want.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Look at it this way, you saved that car. I've been into my car and I've shaken my head at a few things. I think it was when I discovered the trans only had 1 quart of fluid in it that I realized I saved my car. There was a point I wished I found one in a little better shape, but now I can brag about how far I've come with it. All my friends agree I've saved that car and made it a lot better then it was. The PO has tried to buy it back from me 3 times now.

badmpg03

Established Member
I feel you man. Part of the fun of buying a used terminator.
If it makes you feel better. I had to rebuild the KB 2.2 after 1500 miles.
4000 miles later, T56 input shaft and cluster went out. Just keep upgrading :)

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
That's a bummer man, My cobra needed work to when I bought it, and I bought it sight unseen. Unfortunately when you buy a modified cobra you're buying someones old race car that they more than likely gave up on.

cmnorman

Established Member
Yeah, I knew it was hurt but I never expected to have to put $15k into it with a new motor from the block on up and now a new fuel system, etc. I should have had it checked into more before I took it home, like I said, I knew it was hurt, just not as bad as it was. If you look at some of my other posts there are more details and photos of what they found when they started taking it apart and then how the new build went together.

I paid to save the car but Dan and the guys at ProDyno are the ones that put in all the wrench time and busted knuckles. I used to do my own work but I am a disabled vet now and getting down on the ground to wrench isn't really a possibility.

JoeCobra

Established Member
Man you guys make me feel ALOT better. My first Terminator was modified and perfect. I never should have sold it. Regretted it for years. Finally got another one and I'm in the exact boat as cmnorman. Sucks!!! But you're all right. It'll be done right and sound. I love you're comment slo984now about your friends complimenting you on how far you've come with the car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You've sure had your share of bad luck with this car. Hopefully one day very soon you'll be out on the road enjoying it for the first time. ;)

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
Wow, I thought today was going to be the day you got to enjoy the car a little. Hang in there. At least when you do get to drive the car it will done right.

cmnorman

Established Member
Also, as I reflect back on how I got here...I think what lured me in without doing enough checking into the car was that I knew it was the car formerly known as "Black Mamba" and it was built fairly local and tuned by the same guy that just built my new motor. I was able to talk to both of them before I bought and they told me all that went into the car when it was built. A lot was still there but the stuff that got changed got replaced with poor quality parts and workmanship.

So this is my last thread to whine about what I got myself into. The next threads will be about how great it is now that we have saved it.

cmnorman

Established Member
In fact, here is my first positive post...I love my new tinted tails.

F1989AF0-8394-40A2-B65F-80CCE25479E1.jpg

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
If you hadn't documented all of the absolute crap you have had to deal with I might not have believed you ;)
Just go big on the pumps that are e85 friendly and get after it with that new motor. Epoxy to fix a fuel line? Wtf?!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your frustrations. On one hand these are the kinds of problems that are inherited when buying used performance vehicle. But, on the other had this is an opportunity for you to build the car right and to your standards.

Users who are viewing this thread