Yay! I threw my first belt!

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I know it as inevitable but now that I have done it I don't want it to happen again. I blipped the gas in 2nd and left off quick. Do stick cars throw belts more than autos?

I have the steel OEM tensioner. On my timing cover I can add a idler pulley between the alt and the power steering pump. Would that help?

Its an off brand belt because its the only length that would fit. So I'll try and look again for a Gates or Dayton. I do have a laser alignment tool and got the belt aligned. I can only suspect my tensioner just wasn't tight enough.

Any suggestions to keep the belt on?

Thanks.

-Mark

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any increased wrap (with the correct belt size) would be positive move.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I would post the blower and pulley sizes, maybe someone knows what length to buy in a name brand.

Ive got a procharger on my Mach1 with a thump tensioner (but im a single bolt setup) and have done all kinds of things like blipped the throttle in 2n at higher rpms and have not had any belt issues. I will say my belt is tight enough its very difficult for one person to work that tensioner and get the belt on.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Double check the alignment. Things may have shifted. I imagine adding that extra idler couldn't hurt. If the belt is the correct length that leaves the tensioner. I ran a Thump on my 01. Once I got everything aligned I never had a belt issue.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I would post the blower and pulley sizes, maybe someone knows what length to buy in a name brand.

Ive got a procharger on my Mach1 with a thump tensioner (but im a single bolt setup) and have done all kinds of things like blipped the throttle in 2n at higher rpms and have not had any belt issues. I will say my belt is tight enough its very difficult for one person to work that tensioner and get the belt on.

Its not a run of the mil setup but I have a 5.4 4v with a novi 2k. 3.5" on the blower and a 12% OD crank. The belt has good wrap around the pulley (6 rib) and the tensioner arm is right in the middle of the stops. The belt is 117.3" long.

Is it possible to add a 2nd tensioner on the drivers side anywhere?
The timing cover is a bit of a frankenstein. Its a Navi cover but the pass is from a 4.6 4v so I could get the blower bracket to mount.

-Mark

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
oh good god I didnt know you had such a Frankenstein lol.

what do you mean by the pass is from a 4.6 4v? lost me there?

Im also 8 rib and not pullied quite as aggressively, 3.5" blower pulley but stock crank pulley for now. That thing must be an absolute animal.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
oh good god I didnt know you had such a Frankenstein lol.

what do you mean by the pass is from a 4.6 4v? lost me there?

Im also 8 rib and not pullied quite as aggressively, 3.5" blower pulley but stock crank pulley for now. That thing must be an absolute animal.

Here is my timing cover. I cut and welded the pass side of a 4.6 timing cover to the navi one.

5.4with4.6cover_zps8mck5q7r.jpg

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Double check the alignment. Things may have shifted. I imagine adding that extra idler couldn't hurt. If the belt is the correct length that leaves the tensioner. I ran a Thump on my 01. Once I got everything aligned I never had a belt issue.

One thing I noticed on my OEM tensioner is that it would bounce around a little bit. I will try the additional pulley first and a better belt. Then if that doesn't work I'll rob a bank and get the thumper. ;)

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think that's pretty cool that you welded the timing covers together like that.

I really think that unless you're running a small blower at low boost the stock tensioners just aren't up to the task. They're not designed to hold that much pressure. The Thump isn't cheap by any means, but it's worth it IMO.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I think that's pretty cool that you welded the timing covers together like that.

I really think that unless you're running a small blower at low boost the stock tensioners just aren't up to the task. They're not designed to hold that much pressure. The Thump isn't cheap by any means, but it's worth it IMO.

I've been looking at belts lately and I can't find a green fleetrunner gates belt for my size. However I found a 12 rib that is less than 1/4" shorter.

Would it work if I got that belt and down the middle and split it into 2 6 rib belts? :)

Novi%205.4_zpslo3nktes.jpg

-Mark

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've heard of people cutting two ribs off an 8 rib to get it to work. So I can't see why splitting a 12 rib wouldn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread