X vs. H pipe

jtkz13

Established Member
I've got Kooks 1 3/4" LT's with 3" collector, unknown brand 3" offroad x-pipe, and Flowmaster catback.

I really like the sound level, but at 2500-3500 rpm under moderate throttle there is a pretty noticeable metallic, raspy sound. I know I'm used to the old pushrod stuff with H-pipes, but I want a little more throaty sound.

Would going to a h pipe help? Add in a couple resonators to help with the raspiness?

At WOT it sounds great, its just when cruising around.

[video=youtube;SULCOV63IpE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SULCOV63IpE[/video]

Comp281

Established Member
Yes the X pipe is more raspy than an H. I've always liked the Mac Prochamber. You could thy that if they still make it in 3".

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Lots of guys from what I read do like the pro chamber. Try that. Off road H is my vote tho. I don't have a terminator at the moment but I did have a 2001 GT that had an offroad H and Flowmaster super 44s. The shop that put it on said it was the best sounding exhaust they havw ever heard and I would agree. It's all personal opinion tho. X is not my favorite bc it's a higher pitched tone typically but the 2v mustangs all sound good! Try a pro chamber or H and post sounds clips!

svtshadow

Banned
Dude i had mac lts, off x pipe and flows. That bitch was raspy 2600 - 3200 rpms. I switched to catted BBK H-pipe. Where i used to have that raspyness, i know have rumble, roaring,. I love it. Get rid of that x-pipe. I get a lot of compliments.

jtkz13

Established Member
Any sound clips or video? I was told welding in a 12 or 18" resonator would help with the raspiness, but I would like some of that throatiness of my high compression 347 in my 95 Cobra. I'd def consider going to a catted h-pipe if it improves it a lot.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I've had both offroad x and h over the yrs. I prefer sound of the h. The x always had the raspy sound, especially with straight through mufflers. I like the power chamber sound too but I was worried My car is to low for it.

bigmoose

Established Member
Prochamber here. I used to have a catted x but switched this past winter. The prochamber sounds 10x better. Much deeper and no rasp

8gtoklr

Established Member
pro chamber scrapes on lowered cars..instead of scraping cats in front it moves to middle and scrapes there. Pro chamber doesn't have rasp but it drones at same rpms

jtkz13

Established Member
So seeing as the consensus is to go h-pipe, I'm local to MRT and gonna have them quote me on a 3" offroad h-pipe.

Will let you guys know the outcome.

jtkz13

Established Member
Ugh, so since I have longtubes for MRT to make me a 3" H-pipe they'll have to use the standard length h-pipe ($500) and then cut & modify it to fit at shop rate per hour. So, probably $7-800 for a friggin midpipe.

Why is it so damn impossible to find a 3" h-pipe for longtubes? I cant believe someone doesnt make it.

I really want to go 3" on the h-pipe, as my headers have a 3" collector and I have plans on going E85 in the near future, so 2.5" exhaust will become too small.

stangfreak

Established Member
prochamber here. its a torque maker. awesome midpipe. x pipe does flow exhaust smoother with less resistance. some say the x makes more peak hp numbers. I go by what makes the car sound better. I can't do the x pipe. not a fan of the sound

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I dont like the rasp of the X pipe but dam it looks sexy when you put it on a lift. I'm gonna have to try something different.

Users who are viewing this thread