x pipe with flowmasters

99 cobra lover

Established Member
Hello All

My 99 cobra has stock headers and Xpipe but has flowmaster mufflers on it and it sounds good excellent sound however it isn't very loud. i thought about getting more sound and better power by adding a off road xpipe. Any body got this setup with sound clips. Will it sound good.

Bye
99 cobra lover

1996stang

Established Member
i have bbk catted x-pipe and flowmasters on my 96 and its extremely loud.if i could upload sound i would but all ive got is a camera phone.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I thought the rule of thumb was to run an x-pipe with a straight flow through type muffler (magnaflow) and to run an H pipe with a chambered muffler (flowmaster) to get the best sound??

u n v kenny

Established Member
First off I know first hand about x-pipes with chambered mufflers. I suppose it's personal preference but I do not like it.

It make a nice sounds but it "bubbles" too much after you rev up and the RPMs go back down.

I had a bbk o/f x pipe with flowmasters.

I went to UPR x-pipe with Magnaflows (which are not chambered)

Basically i'm saying, get an o/f h-pipe if you have chambered mufflers.

But that's my $.02

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
bbk and bassani clamshell x's sound very raspy w/ flows
UPR and SLP x's are less raspy
Dr. Gas has no rasp and virtually no drone!

Tango7

Established Member
u n v kenny said:
First off I know first hand about x-pipes with chambered mufflers. I suppose it's personal preference but I do not like it.

It make a nice sounds but it "bubbles" too much after you rev up and the RPMs go back down.

I had a bbk o/f x pipe with flowmasters.

I went to UPR x-pipe with Magnaflows (which are not chambered)

Basically i'm saying, get an o/f h-pipe if you have chambered mufflers.

But that's my $.02
I had the same set-up flows and bbk offroad x-pipe it sounded like marbles at around 2500 rpms... I did not like the sound either...

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
Nazman said:
A long time ago I used to run an Dr. Gas X with some 2 chambers flows and sounded insane! I loved it.

Naz

+1

I had Hooker Long Tubes with their matching X with Flows. It was simply bad ass. I will be going with the Dr. Gas X when the funds permit.

99 cobra lover

Established Member
Well I got conflicting ideas on that one let me be more exact If I ran a offroad x pipe from UPR and flowmasters would they sound good or bad. Would it be a better Idea to run H pipe they do the same thing so it really doesn't matter. Just which would be better X or H any body else got sound clips. I would like to here a h pipe with flowasters or eqivelent rev up and then back down a few times to here the sound through all the ranges and the same with an x pipe from idle to near redline and then back down.

Thank if you can help me
don't want to regret a buy

99 cobra lover

heytonyman

build-break-repeat
Established Member
I am running a Dr. Gas O/R X pipe with a flowmaster A/T catback and I love the sound. Recently changed out the tips for 4" magnaflow rolled tips and it made the sound Much Much deeper. Music to my ears all the time.

Tony

xbajbusx

Established Member
my 2 cents man dont get off road x pipe with chamber mufflers you gone hate it ,you want to go with flows go with off road h pipe you want to go wirh x pipe go with megnpacks or other muffler that are not chamber belive me i went thru this s..t and spent lots off money on it ,im running now off road h pipe with flow and it sick but my friend has off road h pipe with mac mufflers they even sound better ,just my 2 cents i went thru what u going and i lost lots of money to get my car to sound like it sounds now

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
The H pipe will sound good but the 2000rpm drone will be horrible. As stated by several posters above just get the dr. gas pipe and be happy with your drone-less raspy-less marble-less BADASS exhaust.

99 cobra lover

Established Member
Alright so basically you are saying get an H-pipe with my flows or get a Dr gas pipe. I'm gonna be stupid now what in the world is a dr. gas pipe never ever heard of it. What is it and where do I get it. Remember I'm going for performance not just sound will it ballance out the cylinders and give more flow just like an h pipe or should I just get an Hpipe.

Thanks for the help
99 cobra lover

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
MSX.gif

The dr. gas pipes are made drastically different than the clamshell X's of bbk/bassani. These pipes are true X's. Power wise; the usual thought is that H's make a tad more torque while X's make a tad more HP. The H will sound lower w/ more rumble. The X is ussually said to have an exotic tone, yet each one sounds different. I would bet money you would not like the clamshell X sound. I once bought a bassani pipe off ebay and backed it w/ flows. It sounded too raspy inside the car I took it off the very next day. I've run H pipes w/ and w/out cats but they all drone horribly w/ flows, hence the nickname Dronemaster. Back to the dr. gas. They are a lesser known pipe because many places IE: summit & Jegs don't carry them. They come in seperated pieces that must be welded together. As far as performance I feel that all X's are about the same w/ out cats. I have no dyno data but I would rank the dr. gas pipe as a top contender in the Hp race.

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
Just say NO to off road x-pipe and flowmasters. You will have mucho rasping and marlbly sound, due to X-pipe and a chambered muffler. I have run both combos, and an off road h-pipe and flowmasters sounds incredible, like a 500 hp 5.0 litre, deep and full sound. There is minimal power difference between off road x-pipe and h-pipe, once the cars have been retuned for the appropriate exhaust set up.

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
I thought the rule of thumb was to run an x-pipe with a straight flow through type muffler (magnaflow) and to run an H pipe with a chambered muffler (flowmaster) to get the best sound??
in a sense it is, but at one point I had flows with an OR SLP X pipe, I loved the sound, but I did end up taking the flows off and throwing a SLP LM1 on the car :)

ex-PJs snake

That Others May Live
Established Member
Love the sound of Bassani headers with xpipe backed by Flowmasters...:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread