X pipe makes horrible sound.

Ponygirlracing

*Liz*
Established Member
How do i get rid of a horrible rattling sound from my offroad x. It only does it until about 3,000 rpm. Is there anything i can do?

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
With mine its like I can actually hear the valves in the lower rpms, kind of sounds like a leak but its not. I was able to get rid of about 75% of this racket using some bassani baffles, but other people might just suggest switching to a straight through muffler. :)

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
my friend had an experience where a bassani x pipe was followed by 3 chamber flowmaster and it made that kind of an echo sound around 3000 rpms, he then switched the mufflers to another brand which im not sure of and it stopped the echo

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Since it disappears over 3000 rpms, I'm going to believe it has to do with the mufflers. If it happens only at a certain rpm level it could possibly be some hardware vibrating due to drone. Did you call Bassani and ask them about it?

DCHall

Established Member
Bassani xpipe

Had the same sound on my Mach 1 with 40 flows and the Bassani xpipe. I like the sound of the Flows so I went back to a Hpipe. I was told that it is recommended to use a non chambered muffler with the xpipes.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
All X pipes have a raspy sound that belongs on a race car .....IMHO

I like H pipes on the street..... in fact catted H pipes to be exact....
Every thing else attracts too much attention..... so You can't get on it as much as you would like...
The x sound is similar to the exotic 180 degree header sound.....
But it's not for everyone.... and on decell all that rasping and popping:nonono:
Sounds awesome at a racetrack...... too much for the street..... just my $.02
Jimmy :thumbsup:

dougwg

Established Member
Originally posted by Jimmysidecarr

Every thing else attracts too much attention..... so You can't get on it as much as you would like...
But it's not for everyone.... and on decell all that rasping and popping:nonono:

:beer: agreed :thumbsup:

Got5onIt

Mean Green Nation
Established Member
What kind of mufflers are you using? It's best to use a straight flowing muffler with an x-pipe. Chambered mufflers will have a loud "metallic" rattle with an offroad x.

Venomous27

Inked Up
Established Member
"Is there anything I can do?" .....

Yes there is!:) ... Depending on what you are looking for in your exhaust (sound, performance, loudness, all of the above, etc)

you can either get rid of your o/r x-pipe and get a catted one...
which will get rid of the metallic rattle and quiet it down alittle...

or you can go with a different cat-back (or mufflers) like non chambered or straight through....

or say the hell with it and just run open headers.......just kidding:-D .....

Big turkey

Established Member
Open headers are nasty loud. It just noise when you get on it though.. nothing really harmonic about it.

How loud is the Bassani catback? I have one sitting in my garage and my parents don't want me put it on because they don't want the neighbors complaining and whatnot. Geez. Getting owned by the rents.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Originally posted by Ponygirlracing
How do i get rid of a horrible rattling sound from my offroad x. It only does it until about 3,000 rpm. Is there anything i can do?

Mine does this too. I thought it was just the nature of the beast. Does it do it all the way to 3000 or around 3000? Mine does it only when I hammer it and reach slightly above 3000 RPM's. Like someone else asked, have you tried Bassani?

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
I had a Bassani offroad X with Magnaflows. It was wicked loud, my gas mileage went to hell and it actually felt like my power did too.

I put the stock H back on and it made a world of difference...more power down low, quieter, throatier. I enjoyed the car more.

On my 95 Cobra, different story. 302s beg for X pipes.

Glacius

8 UR POS
Established Member
Originally posted by Jimmysidecarr

any suggestions for a catted H pipe? BTW Jim nice car and wanted to say Howdy to a fellow Texan :bowdown:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by CarpetCityCobra
I had a Bassani offroad X with Magnaflows. It was wicked loud, my gas mileage went to hell and it actually felt like my power did too.

I put the stock H back on and it made a world of difference...more power down low, quieter, throatier. I enjoyed the car more.

On my 95 Cobra, different story. 302s beg for X pipes.
By placing more of a restriction in your exhaust system (going back to stock) you picked up some torque. The MRT H-pipe is a better option IMO than the X-pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread