Wtf!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nast97

Gear Banger
Established Member
I have to vent! today in my town they have a car show/ well actually every 4th saturday of the month, we usually have around 1000 cars around the downtown square. anyway. cruisin down the highway just got done eating, i see a c5 vette. it is a guy i know. well i pull up beside him and with cars in front of us we just goose it for maybe 1-2 seconds. cant speed cause of traffic. keep in mind i didnt spin tires, break the speed limit, nothing! my wife and sister in law are behind me as a witness. i see a cop come up in the turning lane at the stoplight and tells us to pull over. we do. he comes to the window asking the usual. he then says racing in this traffic is a good way to get someone killed. i replied sir we werent racing, i didnt spin tires, break the speed limit nothing. my car is just loud. well long story short he gives us both tickets for reckless driving, non payable. has no speed posted on the ticket or anything. i feel ripped off. i mean not even possible to speed. clearly didnt spin tires wtf! i am really pissed no cause i got a ticket but because i really didnt break the law. it was some 21 year old new cop. i think he was on a powertrip. am i in the wrong here? i really feel as if i did not breakthe law. any help would be appreciated.

divided

Established Member
Doesn't matter if you didn't break the tires loose (wtf kind of argument is that?) or broke the speed limit. Lucky he didn't get you for street racing.

txyaloo

Established Member
I have to vent! today in my town they have a car show/ well actually every 4th saturday of the month, we usually have around 1000 cars around the downtown square. anyway. cruisin down the highway just got done eating, i see a c5 vette. it is a guy i know. well i pull up beside him and with cars in front of us we just goose it for maybe 1-2 seconds. cant speed cause of traffic. keep in mind i didnt spin tires, break the speed limit, nothing! my wife and sister in law are behind me as a witness. i see a cop come up in the turning lane at the stoplight and tells us to pull over. we do. he comes to the window asking the usual. he then says racing in this traffic is a good way to get someone killed. i replied sir we werent racing, i didnt spin tires, break the speed limit nothing. my car is just loud. well long story short he gives us both tickets for reckless driving, non payable. has no speed posted on the ticket or anything. i feel ripped off. i mean not even possible to speed. clearly didnt spin tires wtf! i am really pissed no cause i got a ticket but because i really didnt break the law. it was some 21 year old new cop. i think he was on a powertrip. am i in the wrong here? i really feel as if i did not breakthe law. any help would be appreciated.

Good for him. You don't have to spin your tires or break the speed limit to be driving recklessly. Sounds like you got what you deserved.

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
Reckless driving = Driving like an asshat in traffic, from which the way you worded things, sounds like exactly which you did.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Really reckless driving? Assuming OP is legit in his explanation..

Accelerating quickly, aka goosing it, and staying within speed limit and not tailgating cars in front would hardly be reckless driving IMHO

I bet he was simply showing his friend a small example of acceleration.

The reckless driving violation defintion seemed to make a lot of statements abount a driver's wanton disregard for the rules of the road and safety of other people or property.

Seems a bit harsh here.

nast97

Gear Banger
Established Member

Accelerating quickly, aka goosing it, and staying within speed limit and not tailgating cars in front would hardly be reckless driving IMHO

The reckless driving violation defintion seemed to make a lot of statements abount a driver's wanton disregard for the rules of the road and safety of other people or property.

Seems a bit harsh here.

Thanks for backing me. Some of these guys act like they drive like miss daisy who is to say I was driving reckless when I didn't break the speed limit and Didnt break traction. I don't really understand how I was getting what I deserved? I guess taking my car to 4k rpms is against the law:shrug:

txyaloo

Established Member
Thanks for backing me. Some of these guys act like they drive like miss daisy who is to say I was driving reckless when I didn't break the speed limit and Didnt break traction. I don't really understand how I was getting what I deserved? I guess taking my car to 4k rpms is against the law:shrug:

Where does the law say you must break the speed limit or break traction?

189.290 Operator of vehicle to drive carefully.
(1) The operator of any vehicle upon a highway shall operate the vehicle in a careful manner, with regard for the safety and convenience of pedestrians and other vehicles upon the highway.
(2) No person shall willfully operate any vehicle on any highway in such a manner as to injure the highway.

In the officer's opinion, you were not operating your vehicle in a careful manner. You obviously don't understand the definition of reckless driving since you believe the speed limit must be broken or you must spin tires.

If you think you were wrongly accused, take it to court.

OP you have to watch it out there. If it even remotely looks like you may be trying to race, you're going down with any cops around. I was hit with a reckless driving when I was a little younger for goosing it. I didn't agree with it, but I understand the cop's point of view if they see it happen on the street. It's just the way it is man.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Really reckless driving? Assuming OP is legit in his explanation...
it is highly likely that the OP is being somewhat less than "legit in his explanation". it is very rare that someone complains like that and doesn't spin the story to make them seem to have done less than they really did.
in today's world "goosing" it usually comes under the heading of "exhibition of speed" which is by default in most jurisdictions reckless driving. "goosing it" is also a common way to get someones attention for a street race which is part of the reason it is frowned upon and not tolerated in a lot of places.
see above.
Seems a bit harsh here.
pretty much sums up what they did since they did it in traffic

Thanks for backing me.
that doesn't make what you did any more right.
Some of these guys act like they drive like miss daisy
well that is certainly your perception I guess but no one has said or hinted that this was the case. The difference between you and most of the rest of us, is that when we do shit like this and get caught we don't come in here looking for justification of our actions nor complaining about there being consequences for what we have done.
who is to say I was driving reckless when I didn't break the speed limit and Didnt break traction.
well the cop for one.
I don't really understand how I was getting what I deserved? I guess taking my car to 4k rpms is against the law:shrug:
depending on the circumstances yes it can be. If the cop's perception was that you were attempting to engage in a street race it definately is. as I said above there is little doubt that we don't have the full unspun story since we only have one side.

MachsFastr

Established Member
RDJ said it best, exhibition of speed! Quit being an asshat on public roads and it won't happen.

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
Iwell long story short he gives us both tickets for reckless driving, non payable.

non payable?

that means this:

it doesn't matter what HE thinks LOL it is a mandatory court appearance.

right? Its not like a "regular" traffic ticket?

sounds like you need to seek the services of an attorney....if the story went down like you said (doesnt sound like it, though), and you have witnesses....you may have enough for reasonable doubt....what part of the story did you leave out?

nast97

Gear Banger
Established Member
I was just venting. and I thought this was a forum for discussing tickets and such.:shrug: ****Edited by Moderator*** Yes this is a forum for questions of LEOs - Name calling, venting, or the "I got out of it" has nothing to do with asking LEOs questions and will get you a vacation from this forum- signed Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Asshat? Really. No part of the story left out.
you can say this all you want but it is not likely true. There are ALWAYS three sides, yours, his, and the truth which usually lies somewhere between. based on the rest of your post I am more inclined to doubt most of everything else you have said.
I am as honest as they come .
this has little to do with the truthfulness of your story. no one has called you dishonest to this point. it is human nature to put a spin on things to put yourself and your actions in the best light, again judging from your posts I see nothing that would indicate that you are anything special or inclined not to do that.
If had really broken the law I would not be arguing about. .
I doubt this. seeing as how you did break the law, were cited, came in here arguing about it and allegedly used your "connections" to get out of it rather than go to court and prove yourself not guilty.
I would simply go to court pay m2 fines and go on. .
actually not true. see above
But how would I be engaging a street race with vehicles in front of me? .
reading comprehension broke? no one said you were engaging in a street race, nor apparently did the cop.
What It all boils down to I feel like is that back in the day before this dude was an officer or was married I messed around with the girl that is now his wife. I really think the 21 year old not is on a power trip. .
this is the arument of a 16 year old. boo hoo cop was on a power trip and gave me a ticket. this forum is full of these kinds of excuses.
But no worries I am friends with the head detective, and I'm already out of it. What I really wanted to do was let him see a true examp-e of reckless driving. Also I wasn't looking for justification, if you read it I said I was just venting. and I thought this was a forum for discussing tickets and such.:shrug:
Perhaps you shoud read the rules since you apparently haven't yet. This is a forum to ASK questions, in my opinion the only reason your 'Rant' survived is because you did ask a question at the end of it. and calling your "buddy" the head detective does not mean you didn't break the law. all it means is that he was willing to most likely break the rules so he could do you a favor and get you out of the jam you put yourself in.

Last edited:

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
THis is why my friends call me old lady when i drive. Its not worth getting a fine and a higher insurance premium because of some BS ticket like that. Goose it at the track, however youre going to go to court anyways, hire a lawyer and fight it if you feel you werent in the wrong.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

Your opinion is not what matters here. Your opinion does not replace the law or the appropriate statute. As pointed out by txyaloo, the Kentucky Statute is quite clear and plain as day. In accordance with KRS 189.290 and the case law that supports it, by the OP's own account, he violated the Statute.

Which is an act left for the track, not the public roads.

Seems a bit harsh here.

You obviously did NOT read the Reckless Statute in Kentucky.

You want to look at the individual acts and say he one was okay. But the totality of circumstances is what leads to the charge.

Where does the law say you must break the speed limit or break traction?

It doesnt. That is simply an excuse to place blame elsewhere.

In the officer's opinion, you were not operating your vehicle in a careful manner. You obviously don't understand the definition of reckless driving since you believe the speed limit must be broken or you must spin tires.

You are correct. Since this ticket is simply an allegation made by the officer, the OP can plead not guilty and go to court and tell the judge that he pulled up along side another car on a road with a bunch of other cars and "goosed" it for 1-2 seconds. Then he can explain how that was driving prudently.

If you think you were wrongly accused, take it to court.
Simple as that.

CSD

Banned
Since this ticket is simply an allegation made by the officer, the OP can plead not guilty and go to court and tell the judge that he pulled up along side another car on a road with a bunch of other cars and "goosed" it for 1-2 seconds. Then he can explain how that was driving prudently.

Not only would the judge laugh, but the whole court room might chuckle if the OP uses that line. :lol1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread