WTF. Fried my ECU out of nowhere?

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
the car is my DD. has been running fine for years w/no hiccups (other than clutch and alt). went to go grab some dinner..everything was fine. came home ate dinner...went to leave again, and the car wont start. just cranks and cranks. the theft light is flashing. the miles are no longer showing on the odometer..only " --------- " . also i tried plugging my handheld programmer/tuner in, and it says cant recognize vehicle type yadda yadda.

i checked the fuses under the hood, and they all looked good. i have no idea where else to look/what to do. any of you vets ever came across something like this?

mods are minimal..upper only, exhaust, intake, tune.

all help is seriously GREATLY appreciated...i REALLY need to get to work tomorrow, and this is my DD! lol ugh...FUGGIN SUCKS!

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Reload your tune. This exact same issue happened to a friend of mine not long ago. Just as random too. He grabbed his SCT Xcal, loaded the tune back up, and everything worked fine.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
what makes me think its the ECU is b/c when i plug my tuner in, it turns on and everything, but when i try to load a tune, when it goes to read the ECU it says something along the lines of "cannot recognize vehicle type". which of course has never done before. says the same thing when i try loading the stock tune back on as well.

i dont KNOW its the ECU...just my first guess. my next guess would be PATS

edit: ive tried the fuel button in the trunk. checked fuses under hood. ive been running numerous searches, and havent came up with a whole lot...as far as solutions go.

Last edited:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Reload your tune. This exact same issue happened to a friend of mine not long ago. Just as random too. He grabbed his SCT Xcal, loaded the tune back up, and everything worked fine.

Yup I'm him. My odometer was all dashes and would turn over but didn't start. I called Greg up from RET and he walked me through step by step and reloaded my tune, and everything works fine now.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Sorry, I figured you checked them ALL but doesn't hurt to verify.

If ECU loses power it will cause symptoms you describe.

Do you hear fuel pumps come on?

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
wierd pcm's are becomming more common. the ------- in the odo, that info is stored in the pcm. If the fuse is o.k., could still be a ccrm but i would guess processor as well. when u get it figured out, post the findings....

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
fans kick on when key is turned on...i think i can hear the fuel pumps, but they are so noisy im not 100% sure.

so far my only thought/solution is to call diablosport and see if they can walk me thru forcing the stock tune back onto the car. i see there is an option for it on the handheld, buy requires some sort of code (that they have) to be put into the programmer. im hoping i can get the stock tune forced back on..then hopefully the programmer will recognize me vehicle again, so i can load my current tune back into it.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
to the top!

anyone ever experience anything like this?

i have a couple of things im going to try when i get home from work today. no clue if they will work or not. if not, i guess i will have to have the car towed to a shop, and let them rape me and my pockets real well. either way i will update the thread with what the prob was, and the fix for it.

Last edited:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
UPDATE!!

so get this...i left work early today, and brought some of my tools with me back home. troubleshooting last night was limited to fuses and such since i had no tools with me. i get home today...try to start it...same thing...it just cranks and cranks, with mileage showing " - - - - - " so i grab some tools and unhook the battery. 15 minutes later hook the battery back up...and she fired right up. WTF?!?

i still have NO CLUE what could have caused this to happen. although i DID notice when she started the gauges did a full sweep..like an alt problem. however i shut the car off and started it several more times, and they didnt sweep again. i guess all i can do is keep some tools in my car, in the vent this happens again, i can just unhook the battery. ugh

Last edited:

1wild-horse

Established Member
you did nothing when the batt was unhooked? glad it started but that raises more ?? than answers. maybe some resistance at the batt. terminals that was fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting? maybe just enough to cause a voltage drop to the ccrm so the pcm power relay wouldnt fire up the processor. Lucky you! next step, buy a lotto ticket:thumbsup:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
you did nothing when the batt was unhooked? glad it started but that raises more ?? than answers. maybe some resistance at the batt. terminals that was fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting? maybe just enough to cause a voltage drop to the ccrm so the pcm power relay wouldnt fire up the processor. Lucky you! next step, buy a lotto ticket:thumbsup:

lucky me...tell me about it!! and..yes...it raises a lot more questions. b/c i didnt do anything, other than unhook the battery..and let it sit for 10-15 min. the cables were connected to the battery nice and tight. couldnt have gotten them off w/out tools. zero corrosion on the battery. no fuses were blown, and nothing came unhooked. im seriously stumped. the only thing i can think of, is maybe the alt on its way out...since my gaauges did the sweep, once it did start (although they have not done the sweep since).

your guess is as good as mine as to why it happened. im seriously stumped. i have been DDing this car for close to 3 years now, and this is the FIRST/ONLY time this has ever happened. i did a ton of research on the net, and didnt really come across any with the same problem/solution. some similar...but nothing the same. im just hoping that if it DOES happen again, that just a battery disconnect will fix it. im keeping a couple of tools in my car from now on, just in case.

1wild-horse

Established Member
i wouldnt sweat on the gauges too much. think they do that everytime you unhook the batt.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
i wouldnt sweat on the gauges too much. think they do that everytime you unhook the batt.

thank you for confirming that! i kind of thought that may have been the case, but wasnt 100% for sure.

now im stumped even more as to why something like this would have happened lol eh well...just knocking on wood that it doesnt happen again. i was almost thinking, maybe the cars computer is about like any computer...and eventually needed "rebooted" ? haha i dunno...its about all i can come up with.

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread