WTF Ethenol???

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Sinister04L said:
E85 is a beautiful thing actually. It has a higher octane rating, is currently cheaper than than regular unleaded, and will decrease our independence on foreign oil (who doesn't want that?). I read an article recently where they drove a GMC truck (equipped to run E85) to San Diego to fill up with E85. They actually recorded BETTER gas mileage on the tank of E85 than on the tank of regular unleaded. It seems the decrease in gas mileage theory might be wrong.

AND it would boost our agricutural economy. But I've been filling up with 10% ethanol here in georgia for around the past two months and it seems to do fine but the mileage always sucks.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Sinister04L said:
E85 is a beautiful thing actually. It has a higher octane rating, is currently cheaper than than regular unleaded, and will decrease our independence on foreign oil (who doesn't want that?). I read an article recently where they drove a GMC truck (equipped to run E85) to San Diego to fill up with E85. They actually recorded BETTER gas mileage on the tank of E85 than on the tank of regular unleaded. It seems the decrease in gas mileage theory might be wrong.

It's not a theory, mileage will decrease.

Iman01

Established Member
I have noticed driving habits have more to do with mileage than 10% ethanol or not. I haven't run E85 though.

Pro:
Ethanol can boost domestic farming.
It burns cleaner than gas (less emissions).
Here (where they grow corn) it is cheaper. I can get 91 ethanol for less than 87 regular.

Con:
It takes more ethanol to get the same energy in combustion... worse mileage.
Won't send so much money to Saudi Arabia, so there will be less videos of ferrari and lamborghini running crazy in the sand.

baer42

Established Member
QUIK BRIK said:
Its all because of the problems with iraq and iran. SOB's! They want us to drive hybrids. I wana burn fuel not corn.

It does suck. But I think I had read some where that we get like 70% of our imported oil from Canada. We still got it cheaper then Europe. Did you see Andre's autobahn vid? It was like $7 plus for a gallon there

Josh1

Banned
I just want to know if you run it on the stock engine we have will it cause any damage to hoses and engine parts. My wife's dad said they tried it along time ago and it did not work because it made people's hoses dry up and break.

z28orshoot

Established Member
E85 is the term for motor fuel blends of 85 percent ethanol and just 15 percent gasoline.

most places are NOT running E85, something like E10 or so... the ONLY public e85 pump in texas is in san antonio(again wesite)

considering the lightning is NOT a flex fuel vehicle it would not be good to run e85 in the lightnings according to the website.

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/flexfuelvehicles.php

up to 10% IS be fine but NOT e85. All major auto manufacturers approve the use of up to 10% volume ethanol

yes milege will decrease with e85.

here is a site for most Q & A.

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faq.php

Last edited:

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
z28orshoot said:
most places are NOT running E85, something like E10 or so... the ONLY public e85 pump in texas is in san antonio(again wesite)

How the hell did San Antonio wind up being 'progressive and cutting edge' I would certainly figure Dallas or Harris counties would have hit that first.

Herb

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
z28orshoot said:
E85 is the term for motor fuel blends of 85 percent ethanol and just 15 percent gasoline.
If you want to get technical, it is a 85% mix of ethanol 10%
gasoline and 5% benzene but hey you were close enough.
And yes gasoline vapors are still very harmful to your body so please, just cause the gas smells different now DO NOT GO SNIFFING IT. This shit still causes cancer, the added ethanol did not change that one bit

Users who are viewing this thread