WTF Ethenol???

supragod98

Established Member
Hawaii now enstated a law that requires all gas to contain ethenol in it. I'm concerned that the ethenol mixture will affect the combustion of the gas. I'm not sure exactly what it does to the fuel I just heard that it does affect the octain rating and also reduces gas milage. Anyone know how this would affect our trucks? Right now I think its like a 10% mixture.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
i posted on nloc but yes you will be fine minus a small loss of mpg's
i can prob get specs if you really want them as my state is switching over on the 15 and i haul the stuff so i am in the terminal a few times a night

QUIK BRIK

1 FAST SVT
Established Member
Well E85 is rated at 105 octane. Mileage would be worse, I never bought my truck for its gas mileage! LoL.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Will this effect tuning? Will we need to get our vehicles re-tuned if this gas makes it to our state?

vwjunkie53

SVT addict
Established Member
We have it in St.Louis MO. Its 10%, and is an emmisions requirment for larger metropolitan areas. While it doesn't change the octain at first, the longer the gas sits (like in your truck or at the pump) the lower the octain rating gets because of some kind of chemical reaction. I know they add that and some other emmisions related crap right before the gas leaves the refinery, since it starts to break down the octain right away. As long as you have fresh gas, you shouldn't have a problem though. (I'm not pulling this stuff out of my A**, I had to do a report on this for a college chem class!)

Jason

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
NewKid said:
Why are they using Ethenol in the first place?

If If remember right, the ethenol is corn based and can be processed from US grown corn, reducing our dependance on foreign oil reserves. There is likey lower emissions too as it's vegetable based rather than hydrocarbon. It is a blended fuel though - not pure moonshine.

Herb

QUIK BRIK

1 FAST SVT
Established Member
Its all because of the problems with iraq and iran. SOB's! They want us to drive hybrids. I wana burn fuel not corn.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
vwjunkie53 said:
I know they add that and some other emmisions related crap right before the gas leaves the refinery, since it starts to break down the octain right away. As long as you have fresh gas, you shouldn't have a problem though. (I'm not pulling this stuff out of my A**, I had to do a report on this for a college chem class!)

Jason
The "crap" is not added before it leaves the refinery it is injected while it is being loaded into the trailer at the terminal right before the truck goes to the gas station and dumps it into the ground

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Chuck Norris said:
is it cheaper than regular gas?
No because now they are having trouble keeping up with the demands of it because so many states are switching over too it, New England will be all switched over on the 15 of this month.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
NewKid said:
Why are they using Ethenol in the first place?
It is replacing a large portion of the Benzene (sp?) that is found in gas, Benzene is a known cancer causing agent. This replaced the Lead that used to be in gas, personally i think we would have been better off breathing in the leaded gas than this nasty shit.You do not want to catch a good breath of gas fumes, trust me.

Josh1

Banned
Seems like a good thing to me. I hope they do go ethanol around hear. Cheaper and also higher octane means lots of driving and more power!!! :pepper:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
lightninmike said:
No because now they are having trouble keeping up with the demands of it because so many states are switching over too it, New England will be all switched over on the 15 of this month.
Another excuse to raise the price per gallon and further increase the extreme profits of the oil industry. :(

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
CobraBob said:
Another excuse to raise the price per gallon and further increase the extreme profits of the oil industry. :(
Pretty much, because apperantly 10 billion a quater isnt enough.

Iman01

Established Member
vwjunkie53 said:
We have it in St.Louis MO. Its 10%, and is an emmisions requirment for larger metropolitan areas. While it doesn't change the octain at first, the longer the gas sits (like in your truck or at the pump) the lower the octain rating gets because of some kind of chemical reaction. I know they add that and some other emmisions related crap right before the gas leaves the refinery, since it starts to break down the octain right away. As long as you have fresh gas, you shouldn't have a problem though. (I'm not pulling this stuff out of my A**, I had to do a report on this for a college chem class!)

Jason

The octane drops because it seperates (gas and alcohol) faster than the additives used prior to ethanol. Ethanol itself increases octane. But if you let it sit for ever it will seperate and you are left with a tank that has ethanol in one layer and low octane gas in another.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/farmmgt/05010.html

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
Hopefully the release of E85 will drive gas prices down. 93 octane is up to 3.00 a gallon here in Houston.

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
E85 is a beautiful thing actually. It has a higher octane rating, is currently cheaper than than regular unleaded, and will decrease our independence on foreign oil (who doesn't want that?). I read an article recently where they drove a GMC truck (equipped to run E85) to San Diego to fill up with E85. They actually recorded BETTER gas mileage on the tank of E85 than on the tank of regular unleaded. It seems the decrease in gas mileage theory might be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread