wow...valves

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
In the process of investigating a top end knock, after i took off my lower intake I peeked into the intake valves and I was pretty impressed with the first one I saw, as it is all original and has 170,000 miles on it and I use seafoam ever 3 k for the last year...... I did however get a check eng light for my left IMRC not working as advertised..... wow I can see that the IMRC plates look like they have never worked, ever.

Im not sure of how to up load photos on here, would love to show you guys these and tell me what you think

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
one was super clean, the other unrecognizable... dirty like a 5 cent hooker on nickel BF night.... how do I post pics? haha of the valves not the hookers

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
hmmm... i dunno if the other one is supposed to look like it does... im pretty sure my valve guides are worn anyway causing some oil to get in there...

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
seems loudest on front of passenger side... but the sound travels... when your standing on the drivers side it sounds like it was coming from there.... took timing chain cover of...tensioners were good, nothing appears bad, pass side valve cover off, appears normal, cant tell about the lifters...drivers side not off yet

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
IMAG0375.jpg

IMAG0376.jpg

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
gotcha...now lets talk about that poopy lookin valve... that cant be normal, this is my first tear down... car has 170,000 miles

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Its normal for B headed cars. The injector sprays only into the square port which is why its clean. The round port doesn't get any fuel sprayed through it so it gets gunked up by the oil that is ingested through the intake from the pcv valve and also carbon deposits.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
no not loud at idle.... only through certain rpm bands while revving... at 65 mph 2000 rpm's I could hear it over the exhaust....

CJK440

Established Member
gotcha...now lets talk about that poopy lookin valve... that cant be normal, this is my first tear down... car has 170,000 miles

Those don't look bad for the mileage. This is mine at just over 50k miles.

DSCN0205.jpg

I think deleting the PCV and especially the EGR system will go a long ways to prevent buildup.

Users who are viewing this thread