Would You Purchase a Re-Painted Terminator?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I would buy a repainted Cobra, but as mentioned it depends on the price, color, and quality of the paint job. Given that it's you, we can assume quality won't be an issue.

The problem comes from every step you take away from stock your customer base shrinks. JMO, but given that the car really doesn't mean much to you I would keep it closer to stock for when it's time to sell. Keep the pool of buyers as big as possible. At most I would wrap it as mentioned if you really want to change the color.

Something else to think about, you're basing your thoughts about it being a vert and silver on this site. We're a really small percentage of the population in the grand scheme of things. I know a couple guys locally that think silver metallic is awesome and clean. And chances are someone around here would scoop it up quickly.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I'm not sure how collectible these things will be if at all, but being a numbered car, I don't think I'd change the color of it. I'd say repaint the same color or wrap it.

I'm one of those people that considered repainting a turnoff on a post late 90s car but the Cobra I purchased awhile back had a total repaint (original color) and the quality is stunning, way better than any factory paint of today. Now the question that looms is I have no idea how bad or damaged the car was before.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I love Destroyer Gray. A color that fit's the persona of the Terminator well. That's certainly a current paint color, but one that might not be desired in the future. Grabber Green is nice, too.
destroyer-grey-jpg.1733468

Recon

Established Member
You can paint it if you want to. I mean if the paint is trashed then I could see a repaint. But if the paint is good I don’t see the point. Some colors are more desirable than others but with a vin check it’ll show that the color is still supposed to be silver. I don’t see a value increase with a color change due to that.
If I ever bought a mustang that needed a complete paint job and I didn’t like the color. Then I’d probably go with Royal Crimson., if I planned on keeping it. I’m not much on dark or dull colors but that is a good looking color.

Pick your poison.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Mystichrome has never been a fave of mine. The body colour looks decent but the interior pieces just don't look right to me. CO would be a great choice.

fivelitrecobra

Established Member
If it was done correctly and had before and after pics, sure I would purchase a re-painted Cobra. That being said, I think a wrap would be better suited in this situation, unless the paint is trashed. You can always remove the wrap down the road if you're not feeling the color anymore, and you will still have the original factory paint. That's a ton of work, time, and money to really not increase the value of the car.

Not sure why silver always gets hated on lol, I love silver cars. So easy to keep nice. Wish I still had this one.......
rsz_20171121_164818.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I would buy a repainted Cobra, but as mentioned it depends on the price, color, and quality of the paint job. Given that it's you, we can assume quality won't be an issue.

The problem comes from every step you take away from stock your customer base shrinks. JMO, but given that the car really doesn't mean much to you I would keep it closer to stock for when it's time to sell. Keep the pool of buyers as big as possible. At most I would wrap it as mentioned if you really want to change the color.

Something else to think about, you're basing your thoughts about it being a vert and silver on this site. We're a really small percentage of the population in the grand scheme of things. I know a couple guys locally that think silver metallic is awesome and clean. And chances are someone around here would scoop it up quickly.

I didn't think about the limited community point of view here Bob. I figured this is where the people in the know hang out and it seems people here always want MC, CO and SB. So, that's where my thought process came from. And don't ever remember seeing a WTB silver post LMAO!

I have no problem keeping it silver. I actually like silver. Both of my Cobra's are silver. I think it looks clean and is always in style.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Both our dailys are silver, my F150 and the wife's Mercedes, having said that, I would not want toy car in silver personally but the not showing the dirt sure works for dailys.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Never understood the hate for silver. Silver looks fantastic. Especially when the car is lowered on 18’s (chrome or polished).
Not sure why silver always gets hated on lol, I love silver cars. So easy to keep nice.
Some colors are more desirable than others but with a vin check it’ll show that the color is still supposed to be silver.

Yeah, I don't get it either, but around here I always read posts where people equate silver to a grandpa's car.

And in the market section here people don't ask for or desire silver Terminators. When it comes to price it also seems like silver is on the bottom end of the spectrum.

I understand the VIN will indicate silver, which is another reason I'm asking the question. Some perspective buyers might see that and think it was wrecked or something. There is nothing wrong with my Vert, just wondering what a re-paint might do to a possible sale or the value of the car.

And I do realize original is always better the older a car gets.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
it is only original once.....

unless you are considering selling it I would paint it another colour if you have that bug

If you are cosidering putting it on the market and the current paint is decent leave it silver. if all you get are lowball offers then a colour change may be your best bet.

dragrazor

Established Member
Hello everyone,

I have a 2003 SVT Cobra convertible that is silver metallic. I probably will not keep it forever and I will not pass it down to a family member. So, that means I will most likely sell it at some point in the future.

From being around this community for many years I know that most folks do not prefer convertibles and they do not prefer the color silver. So, I have a double whammy going against me in the sellers market.

Those of you who have been keeping up with my 65 Mustang build thread know I'm getting pretty good at painting. I really do not use my vert and would have no problems if it were undriveable for a while.

Therefore, I was thinking of making that car my next project. I wouldn't change it mechanically or anything. I would just take it apart and re-paint it a different color. I would do everything (i.e. engine bay, door jams, trunk jam, etc.).

So, these are some questions I would like your guys opinion on:

1. Even though it's silver should I keep it the same color for originality purposes (if I kept it the same color I wouldn't bother re-painting it as the paint is decent)?

2. Would you purchase a re-painted (different color) Terminator?

3. Do you think the value would go up, down or remain the same for a re-painted Terminator (We all know the color does play a factor in the sale of a Terminator)?

4. If you think a color change is a good thing, what color would you paint it (i.e. factory color (MC, CO, SB) or a custom color. I've seen Grabber Green and Destroyer Grey)?

I do not plan on doing this any time soon, but have been thinking about it and weighing my options on this topic.

Appreciate any feedback or insight you guys have on this issue.

I couldn't find any Verts painted a different color. Hence this thread and my idea.

Grabber Green
View attachment 1733467

Destroyer Grey
View attachment 1733468

Custom Color
View attachment 1733469
I have seen that many prefer a coupe over a convertible. I have not seen that silver is not a desireable color. I have a satin silver vert. In my eyes, its a beautiful color and 1 of 81 built. I also think that convertibles are desireable especially when i put my top down on a beautiful day. I don’t get it when they say verts arent desireable but it is what it is. I guess people prefer coupes for racing. I guess down the road you’ll be able to find pristine verts and ragged out coupes. Maybe then the verts will be more desireable

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I have seen that many prefer a coupe over a convertible. I have not seen that silver is not a desireable color. I have a satin silver vert. In my eyes, its a beautiful color and 1 of 81 built. I also think that convertibles are desireable especially when i put my top down on a beautiful day. I don’t get it when they say verts arent desireable but it is what it is. I guess people prefer coupes for racing. I guess down the road you’ll be able to find pristine verts and ragged out coupes. Maybe then the verts will be more desireable
My silver vert

That is a beautiful Vert you have. Yeah, I have not seen WTB threads for silver and I have had discussions on here and people have told me they think silver is a grandpa color LOL.

I understand color is subjective and everyone likes different colors and different body styles.

I'm currently rebuilding a 65 Mustang coupe and in that year people prefer the fastback and the coupe for a resto-mod and then the vert in original trim.

I do agree having a vert is nice. I love to be able to drop the top AND drop the hammer. Lots of fun.

I appreciate everyone's input thus far. (y)

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, I don't get it either, but around here I always read posts where people equate silver to a grandpa's car.

And in the market section here people don't ask for or desire silver Terminators. When it comes to price it also seems like silver is on the bottom end of the spectrum.

I understand the VIN will indicate silver, which is another reason I'm asking the question. Some perspective buyers might see that and think it was wrecked or something. There is nothing wrong with my Vert, just wondering what a re-paint might do to a possible sale or the value of the car.

And I do realize original is always better the older a car gets.

Good! Hopefully the prices are cheaper. Because I really want a 03-04 Cobra again and now will be parked along side my 14.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Hello everyone,

I have a 2003 SVT Cobra convertible that is silver metallic. I probably will not keep it forever and I will not pass it down to a family member. So, that means I will most likely sell it at some point in the future.

From being around this community for many years I know that most folks do not prefer convertibles and they do not prefer the color silver. So, I have a double whammy going against me in the sellers market.

Those of you who have been keeping up with my 65 Mustang build thread know I'm getting pretty good at painting. I really do not use my vert and would have no problems if it were undriveable for a while.

Therefore, I was thinking of making that car my next project. I wouldn't change it mechanically or anything. I would just take it apart and re-paint it a different color. I would do everything (i.e. engine bay, door jams, trunk jam, etc.).

So, these are some questions I would like your guys opinion on:

1. Even though it's silver should I keep it the same color for originality purposes (if I kept it the same color I wouldn't bother re-painting it as the paint is decent)?

2. Would you purchase a re-painted (different color) Terminator?

3. Do you think the value would go up, down or remain the same for a re-painted Terminator (We all know the color does play a factor in the sale of a Terminator)?

4. If you think a color change is a good thing, what color would you paint it (i.e. factory color (MC, CO, SB) or a custom color. I've seen Grabber Green and Destroyer Grey)?

I do not plan on doing this any time soon, but have been thinking about it and weighing my options on this topic.

Appreciate any feedback or insight you guys have on this issue.

I couldn't find any Verts painted a different color. Hence this thread and my idea.

Grabber Green
View attachment 1733467

Destroyer Grey
View attachment 1733468

Custom Color

Hey OP, how many miles are on your car now?
If I was go your route, on a vert, I would do Ruby Red or Rapid Red. I think these two colors highlight what happens when you tweak a great color like Redfire and make it even better.

I do like grey, but not for my cars or car payment

I'm a believer that the best paint job is the original paint. If I was to repaint my Terminator a color other than stock I would go with a pretty eye popping color. I like the idea of a Terminator really just jumping out at you. I really wish I had gone SY or stayed SB.

Based on your sig, I'm guessing you now have a white cobra? Don't feel bad, I went from an SY and a Comp O to buying a low mile white 2012 Shelby. I didn't keep it long for the same reason you just hit on. I do like white cars when other people own them.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I had really bad orange peel on my 2004 Terminator. Clear was so thin that it burned through immediately when I had it wet sanded. So, in the end I had it stripped down and repainted with better quality paint. It looked amazing when finished, and I was able to sell it at 6 years old for what I originally paid for it off of the showroom floor.

Users who are viewing this thread