Would You Purchase a Re-Painted Terminator?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello everyone,

I have a 2003 SVT Cobra convertible that is silver metallic. I probably will not keep it forever and I will not pass it down to a family member. So, that means I will most likely sell it at some point in the future.

From being around this community for many years I know that most folks do not prefer convertibles and they do not prefer the color silver. So, I have a double whammy going against me in the sellers market.

Those of you who have been keeping up with my 65 Mustang build thread know I'm getting pretty good at painting. I really do not use my vert and would have no problems if it were undriveable for a while.

Therefore, I was thinking of making that car my next project. I wouldn't change it mechanically or anything. I would just take it apart and re-paint it a different color. I would do everything (i.e. engine bay, door jams, trunk jam, etc.).

So, these are some questions I would like your guys opinion on:

1. Even though it's silver should I keep it the same color for originality purposes (if I kept it the same color I wouldn't bother re-painting it as the paint is decent)?

2. Would you purchase a re-painted (different color) Terminator?

3. Do you think the value would go up, down or remain the same for a re-painted Terminator (We all know the color does play a factor in the sale of a Terminator)?

4. If you think a color change is a good thing, what color would you paint it (i.e. factory color (MC, CO, SB) or a custom color. I've seen Grabber Green and Destroyer Grey)?

I do not plan on doing this any time soon, but have been thinking about it and weighing my options on this topic.

Appreciate any feedback or insight you guys have on this issue.

I couldn't find any Verts painted a different color. Hence this thread and my idea.

Grabber Green
Grabber Green.jpg

Destroyer Grey
Destroyer Grey.jpg

Custom Color
Custom color.jpg

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
It'll be many years before these cars become serious collector cars. The examples that will be most sought after will be low mile OEM everything, down to the last nut and bolt. The cars with mileage and/or many mods will still bring in good money but no where near the wrapper cars. For the reasons you stated, make the car what you want it to be, have fun and enjoy your unique creation .

cj428mach

Established Member
I'm a believer that the best paint job is the original paint. If I was to repaint my Terminator a color other than stock I would go with a pretty eye popping color. I like the idea of a Terminator really just jumping out at you. I really wish I had gone SY or stayed SB.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I would buy one that was painted, but it would heavily depend on the paint color.

I always that reef blue was a cool color. I'd like to see one done in that.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I would recommend do whatever you want with the car. When I had my shelby I modded it as I pleased but really didn't drive it much to keep mileage low. Value, collectible, door dings in parking lots etc. 6 years later I sold the car, looking back should have just driven it everywhere n enjoyed the car more. A different color will lower value imo and also limit your buyer pool. Think a yellow vert lol. If your gonna keep the car another 5-10 years who cares make it what you want.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I'd buy a repaint if the price was right.

This is why I'm asking the question too. I don't want to spend all that time and effort in disassembling the car, doing the body work, painting it, cutting and buffing it and then reassembling it just to sell it later at the same price point as if it were still silver metallic.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect an extravagant amount of money either, but I would like to get a little more for it compared to a silver metallic one.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I would buy one that was painted, but it would heavily depend on the paint color.

I always that reef blue was a cool color. I'd like to see one done in that.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

That I definitely agree with. I do believe there are some colors out there that are worse than silver LOL.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Your car, you can do whatever you want, you have the skills so why not? You could always change it back if selling it is an issue

That is true, but the idea is to do the work and open it up to more people who may want a more popular color. If I pull the trigger I don't think I would change it back.

There seems to be a lot of folks looking for competition orange. I could paint it Mystichrome, but then my interior wouldn't complete the package.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
There are some very cool colours out there, I love the look of the teal, I am still on the fence about what colour to paint my Bullitt so I certainly understand where your at. Most folks don’t buy cars for the $$$ appreciation as most lose value as soon as they are bought. A Cobra is a little different in that respect these days but at the end of the day I still think that it would hold it’s value even if it was painted a non factory colour

04oxfordvert

Established Member
Glenn, having seen your die cast work, you doing my Oxford vert, I personally love the verts! Would I buy a painted cobra, absolutely if the color was right, as stated above. I'm a fan of some of the newer Grey's. If it popped people would for sure consider! If/when you do it can't wait to see! And where do I find the thread on your 65 build? Lol cheers!

Sent from my SM-G781W using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Glenn, having seen your die cast work, you doing my Oxford vert, I personally love the verts! Would I buy a painted cobra, absolutely if the color was right, as stated above. I'm a fan of some of the newer Grey's. If it popped people would for sure consider! If/when you do it can't wait to see! And where do I find the thread on your 65 build? Lol cheers!

Sent from my SM-G781W using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Hello Nikk. Appreciate your reply brother!

My 65 build is in the classic Mustang section here on SVTP. I've been working on it for almost 2 years now. So, there's a lot of pictures and pages my friend.

Here is the link:

04oxfordvert

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread