Would you prefer to love the area you live or the job you work?

Job vs City

• Job

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • City

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
Wondering what the members think on here?

would you rather live in an area you love while working a job that is ok as far as pay, retirement, benefits, promotions, etc

Or would you rather love your job better pay, retirement, promotions, etc but live somewhere that is ok worse traffic, worse weather, less outdoorsy, more rude people, etc

The job is the same one is just in a bigger city which offers more opportunities and pay. Keep in mind you would do this job for the next 25-30 years.

After that you could retire and leave whichever area you want.

Thanks

Mods can you edit title to love the area you live in

tistan

Established Member
I've been down this road. I'll pick city, whats the point of living somewhere you don't like. You then spend all your money leaving to go places you enjoy.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
I was a little of both. I had a job the had excellent retirement bennies. So I followed the job as promotions came along. It was not that I loved the job so much as the benefits were such that I did not want to give them up. That said when I transferred I chose the good area to live in and commute some to work.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
Definitely City. Leaving for college has made me realize how much I hate Massachusetts my god. Only reason I go home is to see family and get my car out (looking to eventually get it out here to IN). Other than that, no desire to go home, ever.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I picked city. But, in all honesty, I think living in the city sucks. I grew up in the city and am never going back.
Suburbs is where's it's at! Good luck man.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Job. I've worked a shitty job I hated with good benefits. The job would still suck even if I lived in New Zealand on the beach. I'd much rather take a fun job in less pleasant area.

6.0GTO

Established Member
I chased jobs across the country for 20 years. Decided to take a pay cut to come back to Colorado. Thought it would be an ok job but it tuned out to be a great job. Nice to have a balance.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Would need more details on the job to decide. Would the promotion opportunities eventually take you out of what you like to do?

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Definitely City. Leaving for college has made me realize how much I hate Massachusetts my god. Only reason I go home is to see family and get my car out (looking to eventually get it out here to IN). Other than that, no desire to go home, ever.
I'm the opposite lol. I've always loved the idea of moving south. But having been to Florida and South Carolina multiple times I can safely say that I need to have 4 seasons. I can't do hot all the time.

Dusten

Established Member
I hate where I live, but I enjoy my job. I'd leave the job in a second to get out of here.

Stateguy

Established Member
Location for sure, I worked for a peanut processing plant in northeastern North Carolina. It was over an hour drive to go out and do anything. Don't regret moving at all.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

spectreman

Established Member
Back in the 70's a book came out titled, "What is the Color of Your Parachute?" The book was designed to help folks figure out just this kind of stuff. Lord only knows what revision it's on by now but a 2018 version was just released. In a nutshell, what it said was you need to be happy where you are, more than any other factor.

I know that when I was younger, I wanted to WORK in an exciting city but still LIVE in what I considered a safer environment for my family, ergo the burbs. At this stage of my life, I've got ZERO desire for city life and have moved to a far more peaceful, secure environment but still well witihn close driving distance to major metro areas.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
You work half ur awake life..... if u don't like what do then half ur life sux!

VegasMichael

Established Member
I've never liked where I currently live but the job with the salary/benefits outweighed the same job in other areas. The light is at the end of the tunnel, though. In 3 years and 10 months I'm outta here.

Users who are viewing this thread