Would adding this to a 2011 really require a custom tune?

5PointOHNO

Established Member
I have the Vortech kit for my 2011 GT, and it utilizes the stock airbox in standard form.

Naturally, I wanted to look at ditching the stock airbox and go with something that offers more airflow, and luckily, Vortech offers just such a piece for their kits.

However, this line concerns me:

Custom Tuning and Fuel Pump Booster Required
Due to the increased volume of airflow that this product will allow, a custom ECU calibration and fuel pump/pump booster upgrade is required in order to maintain an acceptable air/fuel ratio.

Here is a link to the product:
Competition Air Inlet Upgrade for 2011 Mustang GT | Vortech Superchargers

I am using the canned vortech tune; why would adding a CAI require a tune - it's before the MAF afterall.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Because the computers on those cars are very sensitive to air flow changes. And depending on how much airflow you pick up it could cause a lean condition.

White04GT

Established Member
I know on the 05+ they require a tune with just changing out the CA. I would think you would need one as well, but I am sure the vortech canned tune is a really safe so you might be able to get away without one. I would just get a custom tune anyway their is tons of power left that a real tune will reveal.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Why wouldn't you want to get a custom tune running a supercharger kit anyway? I wouldn't trust a canned tune on that with how much $ you have in it on a brand new car.

5PointOHNO

Established Member
@White04GT - Canned tune was 10:1 from 3800 to 6800 RPMS.

I have other plans for the car in less than 6 months, but if I can pickup an easy 30-40 HP immediately, I would.

In other words, I don't want to get a custom tune, then require another custom tune in 3.5 months, then another in 5 months.

Oh - one other thing - I'm in Toronto and there aren't many local tuners that give me a warm and fuzzy. This car and setup is still relatively new, and I'd rather they learn on other peoples cars.

Thanks for the advice. I thought that since the air was being metered by the MAF the timing and fuel tables Vortech supplied would still be adhered to (albeit at increased levels due to the increased airflow).

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I know the new 5.0's have factory widebands. So it's almost like punch in whatever A/F you want and the computer will adjust to keep it. But things should still be checked out and adjusted as needed. IMO just wait to do whatever it is you want all at once and then get it tuned. Just getting what you have tweaked would make a world of difference. 10:1 is rich even for a FI car.

Last edited:

5PointOHNO

Established Member
Just an update... no tune was required.

Lund tuned the car after this was added and confirmed what I had thought.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Ford utilized it's own boost a pump technology in the 2011 SO I'd don't know why Vortech instructions would tell you to get a fuel pump booster with this airbox?

5PointOHNO

Established Member
I would require a BAP for any pulley other than stock, but since i have added the boss intake, I feel it's much safer to have the BAP to help out given all the extra air and, as a result, fuel that's being added.

Users who are viewing this thread