WOT in 5th gear...nothing happened

SSSSIKH

I ♥ BOOST
Established Member
so i went WOT in 5th gear going 150-155mph for about 4-5 miles!!

only because i had to of course, i will never do it again:nono:

..im just glad nothing happened to my motor!

btw...cobras pull hard in 5th!! my car just kept pulling and wanted to go more!! :burnout:

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
You'll want to keep an ear to those heads. I know someone who did it and there were no signs of problems immediately after, but very shortly after the head tick appeared. Hopefully you are in the clear...

xenodragon

Established Member
The motor is not going to explode from one 5th gear WOT pull...its the 1-5th or 2nd-5th WOT pulls that is going to kill it. If your car was at normal operating temps when you did it, you should be ok.

I really want to get an exhaust temp guage to monitor the heat, because when that gets to hot, thats when the heads can have a big problem.

MustangMikeKy

Whippled L
Established Member
I'm pretty sure its having a load on the car for a decent amount of time that causes the problem, if you topped out 4th before you went to 5th, you will prob be ok, but if you put it in 5th rolling about 70, then floor it, and let it ride. . . that's going to cause some problems most likely . . .

just my .02

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
I always wanted to run from the popo... but I don't have the balls. I am such a pussy when it comes to that... I would rather just suck it up, and have my day in court pleed guilty and then go racing again that weekend...

also would like to see my kids again!!!

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I'm glad the it was there when you needed it

Last edited:

KILRSVT

Established Member
i have been at 160 in mine i know its stupid it was a very lonely freeway at 5;30 am what can i say....i did it back when my motor was at 44000 now its at 62000 so no casualties yet...was shaking afterward its scary at that speed.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
so i went WOT in 5th gear going 150-155mph for about 4-5 miles!!

only because i had to of course, i will never do it again:nono:

..im just glad nothing happened to my motor!

btw...cobras pull hard in 5th!! my car just kept pulling and wanted to go more!! :burnout:

where did you have room to go that fast? the car may be fine after doing that....ive heard of alot doing it and not having bad luck but i personally just dont like to risk it because i wouldnt beable to afforad a rebuild or new motor

Black306

Established Member
Where in the Bay Area were you able to do that?

where did you have room to go that fast?

280 south of 380 all the way down to Santa Clara is pretty wide, has gradual turns, and little traffic during commute off-hours. There are some stretches that a person could comfortably run 150+mph, but I wouldn't know personally.

Users who are viewing this thread