Wot box on 6 speed turbo cars = untouchable

nanastymach1

Established Member
A lot of negativity in here...I'm sure a bunch of parts on my car doesn't like the power it's making and u can't sit here and tell me everyone on this site has never broke lose on the street and had a close one...I'm not an auto guy and will never own and auto regardless if I break 10 transmissions...it's not a track car and I know it will be faster with an auto but to ME it's just boring

And juiced I've always liked ur setup and I understand u have a single setup that did pretty good going through the gears but a twin 61 car is completely different and my car loses a lot of momentum during shifts regsrless who is driving it

The wot box takes all the stress of the trans upon the high rpms for that split second and makes it so much of a smoother shift I'll get vids this weekend and ill see what I mean...its a built tt cobra ....something is going to break one day

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
Not negativity other than you talking about spinning out your car on a public street. People that are talking have been where you are and are giving recommendations.

fangs99

Established Member
What's your engine combo? I said earlier that with the right combo you shouldn't have any issues with re spool after shifts.... Have you considered smaller turbos? Or a smaller AR?

nanastymach1

Established Member
Not negativity other than you talking about spinning out your car on a public street. People that are talking have been where you are and are giving recommendations.

Never said anything about a public road ...it was just me and space and opportunity...combo is mmr 8.5 to 1 short block stock heads and cams,Sullivan upper and lower,hellion twin 61 kit,not sure on the ar on the turbos but regardless I'm happy with the new setup and a turbo 6 speed will never be as efficient as an auto and I'm happy with the no lift shift feature :shrug:

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
this is the BEST mod you can ever put on a stick car....

I took the car out and did a 2-3rd shift and u can hear the cut out between shift and i held it to the floor and made the shift and it spun me out on a 2 lane back road about 2 times and i managed to stay on road.....

so i got my self together and changed my underwear and took it to the high way and this time i heated the tires first 335 nitto drag radials...and did it again and man it feels like i gained over 100 hp ...no doubt best mod ever to go with this twin turbo setup making about 750ish on pump gas....the twin 61 were so laggy switching gears and falling out of boost but not any more and also i did 2-4th and when i hit fourth i heard a loud pop (i think we got so flame content) ill get videos asap when i can get someone with guts to tape instead of be scared shitless lol

Didn't know they made "backroads" and "highways" that aren't public

1MIXDUP

Established Member
I have tried a WOT box and i still will take my auto over it.

I think WOT Boxes are Junk! I didn't like it...not that i've copied your car and added a few of my own touches...I'm only using my WOT box to control/run another headache of mine.

I'm considering pulling it out and selling it all together! I've had it less than a year now. :rockon:

1MIXDUP

Established Member
I have a single turbo 6 speed car and my car doest fall on it's face between gears......And even with tire spin it doesn't get out of shape. Plus I'm not to shabby at banging gears ether. The WOT box would help me on launch tho.

You are one of the lucky ones then. Most of us fall out of boost runing a decent mid size turbo (76mm & up) and a 6 speed tranny.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
Juiced46 hit it on the head. If your going to spend the money on a built engine and turbo kit why not get a transmission that will put the most power to the ground? As for the auto not being fun...Where the heck do you guys come up with that? It is not like driving a factory auto car. The only things I am missing are the PITA firewall adjuster and that 3rd pedal. I would do the swap again in a heartbeat because they go together so well.

OP I would recommend you work on your suspension next. You shouldn't spin out when shifting. It might break traction but the car should still want to go straight if its setup properly. I have blow the tires off at the races and still drove through it with out spining out.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
i have a wot box aswell. and i have also spun out on the street. nothing i want to happen ever again! i agree that it is a very very useful little gadget on a manual turbo car, but once it cuts the ignition and then returns it returns with peak power and it shocks the tires (causing crazy wheel spin, especially if you have a stiff suspension and a small sidewall DR). im STILL afraid of breaking my t56, even with the wot box. if you make enough torque and your turbos spool quick enough, that trans will let loose... no matter how built it is. like blk 03 said, its only a matter of time.

fangs99

Established Member
You are one of the lucky ones then. Most of us fall out of boost runing a decent mid size turbo (76mm & up) and a 6 speed tranny.

it's not hard with the right combo. Even with my short gears. and my car spins the tires to about 100mph and it still doesnt get squirly

Last edited:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
A lot of negativity in here...I'm sure a bunch of parts on my car doesn't like the power it's making and u can't sit here and tell me everyone on this site has never broke lose on the street and had a close one...I'm not an auto guy and will never own and auto regardless if I break 10 transmissions...it's not a track car and I know it will be faster with an auto but to ME it's just boring

And juiced I've always liked ur setup and I understand u have a single setup that did pretty good going through the gears but a twin 61 car is completely different and my car loses a lot of momentum during shifts regsrless who is driving it

The wot box takes all the stress of the trans upon the high rpms for that split second and makes it so much of a smoother shift I'll get vids this weekend and ill see what I mean...its a built tt cobra ....something is going to break one day

I am not saying you have to go auto, everyone has a preference, that is fine. Obviously it would be the best choice and by no means is it boring, trust me. However I just feel the WOT box is a bandaid and a recipe for disaster, especially on the trans clutch. There is NO way it make it easier on the transmission. If you are spinning out on a 2-3 shift its shocking the drivetrain HARD. There is no difference between the WOT box and power shifting (leaving your foot on the gas when you clutch it) Like I said, just be careful. @ 750rwhp that trans is going to hate you after a while.

What boost controller are you running? Twin 61s have sort of similar characteristics as a 76mm. They are very close in spool time on a stock 4.6 motor. I bet your guys lag issues between shifts is either a boost controller setting issue or a blow off valve problem. There should be NO reason for there not to be a smooth transition in power from one gear to the next shifting @ WOT and high RPMs. Unless you are just spinning and short shift it, then yes it will lag when in the next gear any turbo car will

What is your combo?

I just find it hard to believe. I have built many turbo cars with 76mm+ turbos and TTs, GTs and Cobras with 5 speeds and 6 speeds and never had these issues.

nanastymach1

Established Member
it doesnt really fall out of boost it just loses momentum when u shift regarless of how fast u shift..i tried practicing shifting with out letting off the gas and like i said im a pretty good driver but i just dont like to over rev the car for that split sec and i gave in and did the wot box and i seem to be the only one but i love this thing...how it kills the ignition for the time to shift,makes it easy on the clutch to go right in gear,and hold it down to the floor to hold full boost during shifts =win

that day i spun out i noticed today there was a decent amount of gravel around there and it hasnt even spun on the street since that one time but ive got the eboost 2 but my tuner fastlane didnt use the features of the gate pressure setting when i got it tuned and i havent had time to take it back so my gp setting is factory at like 3 when its supposed to be at like 14psi to make the turbos respond alot quicker...so im sure that is killing my spool time too ...i plan to take it soon to get e85 tuned on 24+ psi maybe this month and ill address tha issue

Last edited:

1MIXDUP

Established Member
I am not saying you have to go auto, everyone has a preference, that is fine. Obviously it would be the best choice and by no means is it boring, trust me. However I just feel the WOT box is a bandaid and a recipe for disaster, especially on the trans clutch. There is NO way it make it easier on the transmission. If you are spinning out on a 2-3 shift its shocking the drivetrain HARD. There is no difference between the WOT box and power shifting (leaving your foot on the gas when you clutch it) Like I said, just be careful. @ 750rwhp that trans is going to hate you after a while.

What boost controller are you running? Twin 61s have sort of similar characteristics as a 76mm. They are very close in spool time on a stock 4.6 motor. I bet your guys lag issues between shifts is either a boost controller setting issue or a blow off valve problem. There should be NO reason for there not to be a smooth transition in power from one gear to the next shifting @ WOT and high RPMs. Unless you are just spinning and short shift it, then yes it will lag when in the next gear any turbo car will

What is your combo?

I just find it hard to believe. I have built many turbo cars with 76mm+ turbos and TTs, GTs and Cobras with 5 speeds and 6 speeds and never had these issues.

I have an 04 Supra (spooling joke but it does suck!) I mean 04 cobra (stock everything) with stock 01 intake, TH400 and blah blah blah...with a shot of juice...

Trying to get the car in the 9's solid when I bring it out but its fighting took and nail :shrug:

Last edited:

RussZTT

Established Member
My 6 speed is so damn notchy im getting to where I don't like it with my twin setup.

gt347mustang

Established Member
Man, I didn't realize there were so many haters on the WOTbox.

I absolutely love mine! It took a while to dial in the ignition cut between shifts and get used to not resting my foot on the clutch. I would suggest this to anybody running a 6 speed car at the drag strip.

While it is possible to drive a turbo cobra at the track without the WOTbox, I had a much easier time running with the box.

There is really no difference between the WOT box and shifting without letting off the gas, its the same thing if you know how to drive.

^ this just isn't true. No matter how fast you shift, the engine will rev up for a few miliseconds with the clutch disengaged and when the clutch is depressed it shocks the drivetrain. What the wotbox does is cuts the ignition for a pre determined amount of time so when you let off the clutch the rpm difference is very small and there is little to no shock in the drivetrain. My shifts are actually smoother with the wotbox.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread