witness'd someone die today

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
<8 and >24 are reg breathing rates. Not for CPR. Obviously you do not have enough time to get 24 breaths per minute in for CPR, closer to 6 or 8. I also did not know the numbers, every medic I talk to like to emphasize on the respiratory when doing CPR. Maybe it's the old way?

As for the airway question, you are correct, it's what I was trained to do, you have to secure the airway. And I agree with you 9 times out of 10 it doesn't matter that much. And as for watching the valve while bagging and doing CPR, I've never had the time. haha. :beer:

I just renewed my CPR cert earlier this year, and from what I recall, AHA is trying to push for no breaths in between compressions (notwithstanding the possibility that you are in an ambulance/hospital where you can bag a patient). The theory is that the blood is sufficiently oxygenated when the person goes down, and stopping compressions to allow for breaths dissipates the pressure and thus flow of blood that you've established from the compressions. Thus why the recommendations for the breath/compression ratio is always being reduced.

ParamedicMXr

Established Member
<8 and >24 are reg breathing rates. Not for CPR. Obviously you do not have enough time to get 24 breaths per minute in for CPR, closer to 6 or 8. I also did not know the numbers, every medic I talk to like to emphasize on the respiratory when doing CPR. Maybe it's the old way?

If i have an intubated patient and im doing compressions, i can bag him 1 time a minute or 100 times a minute. There is no 30-2 if you have an airway. You just bag the pt when you need to, you dont need to wait until your 30th compression.

Of course everybody likes to emphasize securing an airway and giving good breaths! Its something we dont get to do too often so any chance they get they will dick around with a tube and laryngoscope and hold off on CPR so they can get a tube in. Who cares wether they are intubated or not. Plus, if the heart isnt adequately "beating" all that awesome oxygen we are putting in there lungs is coming right back out because there is no gas exchange.

Users who are viewing this thread