witness'd someone die today

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
That sucks. One of our school janitors suffered a massive heart attack. He had to have QUINTUPLE bypass surgery... That's all five major arteries blocked. They said they were all blocked by at least 80% or more.

Just one week ago, he played in a faculty basketball scrimmage. He was damn lucky to survive. He's in recovery right now.. (sorry to hijack the thread) But keep him in your prayers and thoughts.

My dad had septuple bypass surgery. Yes, seven.

Speaking of CPR, my mom is teaches Phys. Ed. and is fully first aid trained, and she had to do CPR on my uncle who collapsed in his house. He didn't survive. I can't imagine how traumatic that must be to try to save someone and not be able to, especially a family member.

Coiled03

Established Member
Been there, done that, except I was holding the person in my arms, and it was one of my best friends.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
If your heart stops, you're legally dead. It may restart, but for the amount of time that your hear was not beating, you are not alive...so yes, the OP did see someone die. Whether the man stayed dead or not is unknown.

does that mean you are now cleared of your credit card/student loan debts and can collect the life insurance? :read:

Proof!

Exercise kills!

:lol:

usmcrebel

Established Member
here is a question for the First aid guru's on here.
Do y'all still do the breath's with the chest comps?
I know our Corpsmen tell us it's not necessary...due to pushing the chest causes the diaphragm to move pulling air in and letting it out as long as the airway is clear.

txyaloo

Established Member
I saw something similar yesterday at a seminar. Guy collapsed and EMS was on him quickly. They started doing compressions for around 15 minutes before they got him on a stretcher and out of the convention center. Once they got out of the publics view, they stopped compressions.

I don't think I want to die in front of 12,000 people.

Haulin_05

Does that have a V8?
Established Member
I know our Corpsmen tell us it's not necessary...due to pushing the chest causes the diaphragm to move pulling air in and letting it out as long as the airway is clear.

Thats kinda interesting. I have had the Army first aid drilled into me which is pretty different that the Red Cross certifications which I also have. When you do compression you really have to push hard on the chest and usually break some ribs. I can see that causing you to exhale but is the rise enough to draw enough air in to equal a breath? I dont know but it sounds like a good research project. Everything I have been taught still teaches breaths though.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member

My g/f is an RN, we were discussing this a few weeks ago and she said breathing wasn't necessary.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
My g/f is an RN, we were discussing this a few weeks ago and she said breathing wasn't necessary.

I know the new army first aid they dont really touch too much on chest compressions anymore, i know 3 years ago they did. i went through a CLS recert and it was alot different than the old way.

DCAN87

Established Member

Yes you do give 2 breaths to 30 compressions. However, if you do not have a mask or some sort of device to keep you from doing mouth to mouth, it can be skipped. The compressions are more important (so they say, as of now). CPR can be disgusting. I'll spare the details, but you prob want something between your mouth and the patients mouth. As far as if the airway is clear, it doesn't matter if you give breaths or not if they have a fully obstructed airway. Best advice, take a CPR class, there is a lot of details and different ways of doing things due to age, nature, etc. The American Heart Association and Red Cross are always changing techniques and trying to perfect CPR, so if you take the class, stay current.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Yes you do give 2 breaths to 30 compressions. However, if you do not have a mask or some sort of device to keep you from doing mouth to mouth, it can be skipped. The compressions are more important (so they say, as of now). CPR can be disgusting. I'll spare the details, but you prob want something between your mouth and the patients mouth. As far as if the airway is clear, it doesn't matter if you give breaths or not if they have a fully obstructed airway. Best advice, take a CPR class, there is a lot of details and different ways of doing things due to age, nature, etc. The American Heart Association and Red Cross are always changing techniques and trying to perfect CPR, so if you take the class, stay current.

I thought it was 2 and 15?

Haulin_05

Does that have a V8?
Established Member
Everything is constantly changing. Red cross changes often too. Doing something is better than doing nothing. The goal is to move oxygen through the body so I guess as long as you get air in the body and pump the heart you are accomplishing the goal. It kinda sounds like everyone is teaching something different.

DCAN87

Established Member
I thought it was 2 and 15?

That's what I mean about keeping current. They changed that about 3 years ago to 2 and 30 across the board, adult, child, infant.

Everything is constantly changing. Red cross changes often too. Doing something is better than doing nothing. The goal is to move oxygen through the body so I guess as long as you get air in the body and pump the heart you are accomplishing the goal. It kinda sounds like everyone is teaching something different.

Exactly. If you are the only one there at least you tried. No one can be blamed for giving it everything they got and making an effort. :beer:

As of now I believe the AHA and Red Cross teach very similar.

ParamedicMXr

Established Member
Ive had 3 saves in the past 9 months. All of them are currently living. 1 went from aysystole on arrival to having a pulse and good blood pressure at the hospital, and the other 2 coded in the truck on the way to the hospital, so we were on top of things.

usmcrebel

Established Member

But again, if i am doing CPr correctly you would be pressing on the sternum which causes pressure to the diaphragm allowing the lungs or rather forcing the lung to ingest air and you are also pumping blood through the heart...will you break ribs...who cares If i need ed it and one of yall broke my ribs i'd hug you, it means you were doing everything you could and i get another day with my family.
The way the bodies anatomy is setup it would allow you to head, tilt, chin the patient opening the airway and the compressions are forcing air in and out of the body...why would you need the breaths? I get plenty of first aid training being that i am in the Marines (Self aid Buddy aid Corpsmen aid are our levels of treatment). The way i figure if it good enough to do in combat it'll work here just as well.

DCAN87

Established Member
But again, if i am doing CPr correctly you would be pressing on the sternum which causes pressure to the diaphragm allowing the lungs or rather forcing the lung to ingest air and you are also pumping blood through the heart...will you break ribs...who cares If i need ed it and one of yall broke my ribs i'd hug you, it means you were doing everything you could and i get another day with my family.
The way the bodies anatomy is setup it would allow you to head, tilt, chin the patient opening the airway and the compressions are forcing air in and out of the body...why would you need the breaths? I get plenty of first aid training being that i am in the Marines (Self aid Buddy aid Corpsmen aid are our levels of treatment). The way i figure if it good enough to do in combat it'll work here just as well.

If you push the chest in and out at a rate of 100 times a minute, when do you think the lungs are going to get enough air in them to recirculate it properly? You take 100 breaths in a minute and tell me how well that gets the air in your lungs. I'm not arguing that compressions are still important even if you can not do the breaths, but both must be done for proper CPR. If breathing wasn't important in CPR, or the compressions supplied enough air, why do we intubate or at least put in an airway in every CPR patient?

EDIT: By EMT-B protocol in NJ, and nationwide, 24 breaths per minute or over, or 8 and under, we are supposed to use a bag valve mask to breath for the patient. So that 100 breaths per minute alone would make me have to bag the patient.

Last edited:

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
wow man that sucks.

I saw 3 people die in front of me so far... all were from surfing, and 2 of them were on my birthday... 2 seperate birthdays =-(

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Damn. I would either stop surfing or stop having birthdays.

yea it was shitty. I was with the same friend for both birthdays. I was in Hawaii... once was at sandy beach, some tourist got slammed into the sand and broke his neck.
The second one I was surfing at pipe(pipeline), and I got out to take a break. I saw the guy get dumped, didnt come up, all the surfers in the water and on the beach swam out looking for him... we finally found him 100 yards or so down at rocky point. He was put on life support for 2 weeks, but they ended up pulling the plug.

The third was a guy that drowned at pipe too but that wasent on my birthday.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
you never get used to seeing people die in front of you. especially, when they're conscious when they arrive at the hospital.

Users who are viewing this thread