Winter Mods 2 - catch can, panel, etc

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
To go along with my post just above, here are pics of further proof that this works.

While changing my oil and getting ready for next weekend, I pulled the cap off and stuck a chopstick down inside the catch can to see how much oil was in there. The uncalibrated chopstick shows about an inch of oil at the bottom. This is after 168 very hard road course miles as described above and about 80-90 easy street miles. I am certain the majority of this came from my sessions at VIR.

BTW, I am now working on a catch can setup for my IRS.

IMG_7529.jpg

IMG_7534.jpg

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
On the race car we put a longer vent hose on the diff vent hose and drilled a hole through the spare tire well. Used a grommet to seal it up and for our very fancy diff catch can we used.....

a $50 dollar Canton catch can? Nope.

We used a clear plastic water bottle with a hole drilled in the cap (hole is slightly oversized, it holds the hose inplace but still allows diff pressure to vent) and zip tied it to the rollcage. Works very well. The bottle is clear so we can see how much fluid if any has been expelled from the diff.

brkntrxn

Established Member
Anthony,

Good ideas on the diff can. I finished up my setup this weekend and will post the pics tonight or tomorrow. What I did was make up a vent can using another soap dispenser, but I plumbed the inlet into the bottom of the can (not a catch can per se). That way, if any fluid should get all the way up to the can, it will flow back down into the diff.

-Kevin

brkntrxn

Established Member
Some background on why I made a diff vent can. I have a diff cooler in my car (another thread somewhere else), but I am having an occassional issue of diff fluid being burped or slung out of the vent tube on the top of the case. This only happens on hard left hand turns such as T4 at VIR and T1 at CMP and this only started after I began running slicks on the car. So, I am led to believe that this is not a heat related issue, but a g-force related issue.

Here is my differential vent can setup.

- several feet of 5/16" hose
- couple of small clamps
- one large clamp
- small clamp
- metal soap dispenser bottle
- small air filter
- NPT to 5/16" barb
- JB Weld!!!!!!

The hose is secured to the vent nipple on the top of the diff with a small hose clamp. I cut a hole in the trunk pan using a small hole saw and lined the hole using some hose split in half. At no point do I have a low spot in the routing of the hose and that is what determined where I cut the hole in the trunk pan.

The setup is fashioned so that if any fluid is expelled out the vent at the top of the diff and happens to make it all the way to the vent can, it will drain right back into the diff... as opposed to staying in the can. I wanted to put the NPT barb in the absolute bottom of the can, but that would have forced me to have a low dip in the hose. Therefore preventing drain back. I also wanted to mount this in a location that would not force me to move it for when I install a roll bar at some point in the future (if we bring the rear tubes back this far.

IMG_7552.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread