Winter Mods 2 - catch can, panel, etc

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I don't know about problem so much as overflow. After the weekends at CMP and VIR, I noticed some diff fluid had come out of the overflow tube at the top. I am not sure of the exact causes. With the diff cooler setup, I could have extra fluid coming out of the overflow tube on hard left hand turns (T1 at CMP and T4 at VIR) due to the extra G-forces of the slicks. If this is the case, I would think that it will stop once the fluid gets to a level it is "happy" with (it is still currently full to the add hole). I mention the left hand turns because those were the only places I smelled diff fluid when I forgot to turn on the pump. I am thinking an overflow can will catch any fluid that comes out and let it drain back into the diff. I can use the same idea as the catch can above and just plumb the hose directly into the bottom.

What's new with your car, John?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
YES, you do NOT want to use real steel wool as even the biggest fibers are too small and can work loose and get sucked in very easy.

as stated, use the steel scrubbers that you should be able to find in any home area in target, kmart, walmart, etc.

they won't get sucked into anything because he's using pcv valves that act as a checkvalve.

wraitherlx

Established Member
quick question, the breather filter that you have on top how did you afix that? Ive been trying to look for one that would fit over but cant, so i used one of the old ones that i had previously on my valve covers and it will go in but is not secured. ill post pics up when I get it painted (spray can black). thanks in advance.

brkntrxn

Established Member
I was wondering when someone as going to ask me about that. In the pics, I simply had one of my valve cover breathers sitting on it. As you mentioned, it is not a snug fit and I would never drive the car that way as I am certain it would work its way out.

We had bought a small filter at Advance when I got the fittings and stuff and while it may have fit over the opening of the soap dispenser, I am certain that my hood would have it it. So, I took that one back without opening the package. It was over in the bling-bling exhaust and filter stuff in the store. Near the valve cover filters.

After going over to BSR and all of the local parts places, I was unable to find a small filter (around the size of the valve cover filter) with a tube opening large enough to go over the neck of the bottle. I was starting to consider trying to figure out the exact dimensions I needed and then looking through some of my motorcycle catalogs like Dennis Kirk or BikeBandit.com. I was also looking at some kind of rubber reducer that would go over the neck of the bottle and then the rubber neck of the filter would go in that. However, that was going to cause the filter to sit up too high and again hit my hood. The other option was to get a very short piece of small thickness hose, put the rubber neck of the filter inside that and then put in into the neck of the can. I wasn't happy with how that would work either.

While drinking a beer in the garage and staring at what should have been such a simple last "to do", I had the bright idea of just taking the rubber neck out of the bottom of the valve cover filter, taking the guts out of the letover pump assembly of the soap bottle, and JB Weld'ing (I love this stuff, can you tell? Of course, alcohol makes me creative) the metal of the filter directly onto the neck of the pump assy. That allowed me to screw the filter down onto the soap dispenses/catch can.

So far, it seems to be working. Last weekend I put about 15 or so miles on the car around town and out on the back roads with 4-5 full throttle blasts through 1-2-3 gears. As well as some spirited driving on one somewhat curvey and hilly road, going on and off the throttle. The filter did not back off and the JB Weld appears to be holding just fine. I have also taken it off and on several times with no evidence of cracking the weld, albeit grasping it by the neck and not the filter to reduce the strain. Of course, time will tell and a rough road surface is probably the biggest enemy.

I am still trying to think up a backup plan in case something happens to my rig job. If I come up with something else, I will let you know.

We are headed to a basketball game this evening in Charlotte, so I will try to post up some pics tomorrow of what I put together.

Hope this helps.

wraitherlx

Established Member
thanks alot. im glad i subsribed to your thread, whenever you get a chance to post up the pics I would appreciate it. But, yeah alcohol does make you a little creative:D

also how did you get your soap dispenser for only $10? i got the same exact one but it was 18. I got it anyway cause I tried looking around and all the other ones were cheap and had the plastic interior coating which i didnt want. well, have fun at the basketball game.

brkntrxn

Established Member
Alright, you just made me read through the entire thread again looking for reference to a $10 soap bottle.... I didn't see it. I paid $17 plus tax just like you. I guess they have national pricing or something.

wraitherlx

Established Member
oh, sorry. i thought that i saw 10 on there anyways. I figured out how to get the breather on there and it is secured. what i did was take the top apart and you will notice that there is the white plastic ring that is not big enough for the neck of the filter to fit through. what i did was i took my step bit and made the hole big enough for the neck to fit through. from there just above the neck of the filter is the little black ring just below the the metal housing of the filter and slightly bigger then the neck (diameter wise) and then i pushed it down and it kind of snapped in and is in there snug. hope this helps you out. im gonna try and post up pics of it.

brkntrxn

Established Member
Here are pics of my breather/filter cap:

IMG_7379.jpg

IMG_7383.jpg

IMG_7384.jpg

wraitherlx

Established Member
damn, yours looks soo much better then mine I still got that little metal piece that the pump sat on top off. but looks great though

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
Why run pvc valves and not let airflow clear out crankcase pressure/vapor?

Why not put an open fitting in each valve cover?

brkntrxn

Established Member
Why run pvc valves and not let airflow clear out crankcase pressure/vapor?

Why not put an open fitting in each valve cover?

Using open fittings was my original intent. However, I was unable to find 90 degree fittings that had the right size to fit in the valve cover and run the smaller 3/8" hose. All of the 90 degree fittings I was coming across that fit the valve cover had a much larger 5/8" barb opening and I did not want to use that large of a hose (asthetics more than anything else).

So, I chose to use the stock PCV valves (I already had one, getting another for a few bucks was easy enough). The PCV valves allow plenty of air to flow out of the valve cover to vent pressure. If you put a balloon on the catch can, it will quickly inflate at idle.

The other plus is it helped with my decision to pack the catch can with 0000 steel wool instead of steel mesh (which I couldn't find). With the PCV valves in place, I don't have to worry about something getting sucked back up into the valve covers.

My .02, YMMV. :beer:

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
With the PCV valves in place, I don't have to worry about something getting sucked back up into the valve covers.
Air can't either though, is my point. With a pvc on the passenger side, no air is going to be able to get in to the passenger side valve cover to ventilate the crankcase and come out the driver side....

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
^blowby will generate his incoming air and the pressure will be relieved via the system he made.

brkntrxn

Established Member
Air can't either though, is my point. With a pvc on the passenger side, no air is going to be able to get in to the passenger side valve cover to ventilate the crankcase and come out the driver side....

^blowby will generate his incoming air and the pressure will be relieved via the system he made.

Then you could just cap the passenger side.

I picked up a soap dispenser today lol.

I am not sure you are understanding how the stock PCV system works and therefore how this setup works. The "vacuum" to operate the system comes from the driver's side connection to the intake plenum. Because it is connected after the throttle body, the intake actions of the pistons pull a vacuum on the closed blades of the throttle body. In return, the free air (or air that is not under vacuum because it is before the closed blades of the throttle body) in the inlet track is pulled into the passenger valve cover via that connection. This is a closed system in the stock configuration because both connections are after the MAF, therefore the air is already metered.

KXT is correct. When you disconnect the passenger and driver side valve covers from the intake tracks, you now have blow-by from the piston rings that produce pressure inside the valve covers. The catch can setup vents that pressure while capturing the oil mist in the air flow. There is no need to cap the passenger side valve cover if you have it connected to the catch can. Both sides will produce air flow to vent blow-by.

In addition, your greatest vacuum draw in a stock PCV system is at idle. After you begin opening up the throttle blades via acceleration, you will have less and less of a vacuum difference behind and in front of the throttle blades, but you will have more and more blow-by from the piston rings.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
I am not sure you are understanding how the stock PCV system works and therefore how this setup works. The "vacuum" to operate the system comes from the driver's side connection to the intake plenum. Because it is connected after the throttle body, the intake actions of the pistons pull a vacuum on the closed blades of the throttle body. In return, the free air (or air that is not under vacuum because it is before the closed blades of the throttle body) in the inlet track is pulled into the passenger valve cover via that connection. This is a closed system in the stock configuration because both connections are after the MAF, therefore the air is already metered.

KXT is correct. When you disconnect the passenger and driver side valve covers from the intake tracks, you now have blow-by from the piston rings that produce pressure inside the valve covers. The catch can setup vents that pressure while capturing the oil mist in the air flow. There is no need to cap the passenger side valve cover if you have it connected to the catch can. Both sides will produce air flow to vent blow-by.

In addition, your greatest vacuum draw in a stock PCV system is at idle. After you begin opening up the throttle blades via acceleration, you will have less and less of a vacuum difference behind and in front of the throttle blades, but you will have more and more blow-by from the piston rings.

I hope this helps.
Ok I understand now.

I keep thinking the ventilation only flows toward the driver head, but if the driver head isn't hooked up to vacuum then it doesn't matter, and both sides will ventilate the same amount.

brkntrxn

Established Member
Figured I would give an update:

Last Thursday I took the car to Virginia International Raceway for a private track day. In between working registration and grid, I was able to get about an hour and a half worth of track time over the course of the day. Sometimes I was out for 15 minutes and other times 30 minutes.

I can happily say the catch can setup performed great. No oil mist in my engine bay, no smoking from the filter, no film on my hood, etc. The tubing, can and filter are all still where they are supposed to be. I was constantly hitting 140+ on the back stretch, 135+ on the front stretch, and 120+ on the short chute under the bridge. Lots of time spent way above 5000rpm and shifting at 6800.

Unless something changes, I'll mark this one off as successful.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread