Winter Mods 2 - catch can, panel, etc

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
So last winter I did all of this: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/437143-winter-mods-repairs-begin.html

This weekend I started working on the newest round of Winter Mods":

- replace the headlight panel (broken tabs for bumper cover mounts)
- remove AC condenser
- elementary boxing in of radiator
- breather catch can from the valve covers
- replace front brake ducts
- replace fog light bezels

For the catch can, I looked at all of the available breather cans, oil separators, dry sump breathers, etc. available from Jegs, Summit, BSR, BER, eBay and so on. While they all looked good and some have great craftmanship, most of them are too large for where I wanted to mount mine and most were fifty bucks and up. While doing my researched, I stumbled across a post somewhere on the internet (may have been on sVTP) about a guy that made his own out of a soap dispenser. Well, that started me thinking and here are the results.

Homemade breather oil catch can:

- metal soap dispenser from Bed, Bath and Beyond (btw, you get weired looks shopping at this store while wearing greasy pants and a ripped shirt)
- 3/8 fuel/heater hose
- 3/8 NPT-barb fitting
- barbed tee
- 2 pcv valves
- assorted hose clamps
- 3/4" 12ga steel stock
- good ol' JB weld
- zip ties
- coarse steel wool

I have an LFP radiator that lent itself to my mounting points, if you are still stock you would need to find somewhere else most likely. I also made my catch can in a manner where I can remove the entire thing and dump it out. Most people seem to prefer having a valve at the bottom to drain, but I don't see the need in that and didn't care to sacrifice the room I needed.

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Established Member
Take the 3/4" steel stock, cut and bend to make your bracket:

IMG_7322.jpg

IMG_7323.jpg

Then spray a bit of paint on it to please the pretty people:

IMG_7330.jpg

brkntrxn

Established Member
Take your steel spun soap dispenser and drill a 9/16 or so hole and tap it for 3/8 NPT:

IMG_7324.jpg

IMG_7327.jpg

JB weld the fitting to the dispenser and assemble with the bracket:

IMG_7336.jpg

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Established Member
Then I put a PCV valve in each valve cover (not necessary to have a PCV valve, but the sizing worked for the tubing I wanted to use and it also prevents back feeding of air). I routed the hose around in a manner than kept a lower drain down to the can. My main reason for doing the breather can is because I am tired of having oil mist on my valve covers and engine bay after I do a track event. Around town it never happens, but high rpm runs for 20-30 minutes at the road course multiple times over a weekend leaves an oily film around the breathers. I also filled the dispenser with coarse steel wool to help separate the oil mist out of the air.

IMG_7344.jpg

brkntrxn

Established Member
Removed the AC condenser and did a bit of boxing in on the radiator. Without the ducting on the sides of the radiator, huge holes were left which is here the air would most likely flow if not boxed in (ie path of least resistance):

IMG_7298.jpg

IMG_7302.jpg

brkntrxn

Established Member
If I can get my fog light bezels this week and my brake duct, I will have it all back together next weekend.

I may also be in the market for a new inner fender. Check out this massive tire rub! When the brake duct tore loose at VIR, it must have loosened the inner fender and caused some tire rub at the same time.

IMG_7282.jpg

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Nice mods for the winter, not too expensive but fun to do and befeficial.

What MAF is that? it looks big!

brkntrxn

Established Member
Thanks, Perry.

gmsux - The MAF is a leftover from my supercharged setup. It is a C&L housing with an 03 Cobra MAF. I don't remember the exact size.

wraitherlx

Established Member
i love that idea for the catch can, im gonna have to steal it from you, im also gonna see what kind of looks i get wearing greasy coveralls with a bandana on:D hopefully they dont call the cops on me. also did you put some steel wool in there or something?

Bump for nice write up.

brkntrxn

Established Member
i love that idea for the catch can, im gonna have to steal it from you, im also gonna see what kind of looks i get wearing greasy coveralls with a bandana on:D hopefully they dont call the cops on me. also did you put some steel wool in there or something?

Bump for nice write up.

Yes, #3 steel wool. The largest (course) you can find. I actually considered going and buying some of those steel wook oven scrubbers with the large steel wool and taking them apart and using that. I'll see how #3 does over time.

Kevin

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Interesting stuff. Educate me on the need for the catch can though. Is it just to keep oil mist from going back into the intake tract?

brkntrxn

Established Member
You are correct. A breather can will prevent oil mist from going back into you intake if you still have an intact PCV system or from blowing onto your valve covers if you run breathers.

In other uses, a breather/catch can is used as an overflow. I am pretty happy with how this one turned out, so I am thinking of fabricating one for my differential.

brkntrxn

Established Member
FYI for anyone that cares....

I just weighed the AC condensor, compressor, brackets and canister and they totaled 22.4lbs. Between the AC removal and the blower removal, I have taken 104lbs off the nose of the car. Add back a few for the AC delete bracket and the oil catch can and I still have a 100 less on the nose.

I guess the next opportunities to light up the front will be with a battery relocation and a K-member. Neither of those will be this winter though.

matted2thefloor

Established Member
Nice work! I was a little in the dark on the catch can thing at first but just realized it's the same principal as putting the one on the Cummins Turbo Diesels for the same scenario! The one on my CTD looked like a 16.9oz water bottle.

Didn't know these motors were bad about putting oil in the intake path???

Might have to steal it from ya too!

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
YES, you do NOT want to use real steel wool as even the biggest fibers are too small and can work loose and get sucked in very easy.

as stated, use the steel scrubbers that you should be able to find in any home area in target, kmart, walmart, etc.

brkntrxn

Established Member
New fog light bezels and new brake duct hose are installed. Not much left to do between now and VIR in February.

IMG_7373.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread