Winter claims another L...

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
DSC01860.jpg

DSC01855.jpg

DSC01860-Edit1.jpg

Well I finally made it back to Houston and this was my New Years gift.:cryying:

All the pics I have. It's right behind the first cylinder on the passenger side, so between #1 and #2. Best I can guess was that it was fairly cold the night it blew and I had it on summer tune. I babied it like usual but on one light I got into boost to get by it, and it seems that was just enough; no full-throttle, no racing, but enough I guess.

My first experience of watching coffee coming out of my motor, now known as water and oil mixed. The last thing I needed right now, but shit happens.

For you Houston guys, I'm going to be looking for a reputable mechanic to install the new motor, as well as looking for a new motor. I'm going to be going the "save money" route and just try to get a stock motor in, I don't have money to turn it into a rocket ship.

So any suggestions of where to look for motors would be appreciated.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Now THAT sucks! Sorry to hear about it. Yeah, I, too, was kind of expecting to read of a totalled Lightning. Thankfully that was not the case. Best of luck with the new motor install. Your black beauty will be back on the road in no time. :)

moot09

Established Member
Excuse the ignorance, but how does the cold weather cause tha kind of damage?
EDIT- Just reread the post and saw it was on a summer tune? Guess that answered my question lol

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I was also expecting a wrote off L. Not a good thing having a inspection window in the block but it could of been worse.

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
Don't you people know anything anymore? It's the new "Extra cooling Mod" that everyone's been talkin' about!

Sorry 'bout your truck Bro, hope you get it fixed soon......:beer:

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
i dont buy this, cold weather and hot weather tune? does ford not use an IAT and Ambient sensor? no way a drastic change in weather would have that large of an effect. maybe something was allready weak in the motor? maybe it had a crappy tune?

chrisheltra

Established Member
maybe something was allready weak in the motor?

Yeah its called the rods. All rods in 99-04 L's are cast.

What probably happened was the dense cold air cause his maf to peg out which cause a lean condition and caused some detonation. That caused the rod to say **** this and fail. Its a very common occurrence in the winter time for stock internal blocks.

Oh and generally winter tunes have less timing and more gas added into them to compensate for cold air and shit winter gas.

ChrisP14

Established Member
Sucks to hear about his considering I'm in the middle of purchasing an L. But the bottom end isn't stock so....:thumbsup:

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Thanks fellas.

I haven't dropped the pan yet, so I'm still waiting to see the rest of the damage.

sucks but i was expecting a crash thread. it could have been much worse judging from what has been happening on this site lately.

Ha, yeah, fair point.

Now THAT sucks! Sorry to hear about it. Yeah, I, too, was kind of expecting to read of a totalled Lightning. Thankfully that was not the case. Best of luck with the new motor install. Your black beauty will be back on the road in no time. :)

Thanks man.:beer:

I gave you one in your other thread but Ill give you one here too.

Rod_Chuckins_Sticker.png

Still funny, hahaha.

Excuse the ignorance, but how does the cold weather cause tha kind of damage?
EDIT- Just reread the post and saw it was on a summer tune? Guess that answered my question lol

Like I said, best guess is that it was either already on its last leg without me knowing about it, or it was just the perfect conditions to grenade it. I'm still a bit confused myself because this didn't happen while at the track or racing someone.

Yeah its called the rods. All rods in 99-04 L's are cast.

What probably happened was the dense cold air cause his maf to peg out which cause a lean condition and caused some detonation. That caused the rod to say **** this and fail. Its a very common occurrence in the winter time for stock internal blocks.

Oh and generally winter tunes have less timing and more gas added into them to compensate for cold air and shit winter gas.

Yeah, like I said above I'm thinking it may have just been the "right" conditions for it. Still looking into it. Hell, I WISH I was racing someone because then I'd know damn well what happened, ha.

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
PSI in webster bro, excellent shop to go to. FYI--you can slip into a built shortblock for the same price as a new stock shortblock. Then you could get it running and have strong internals for later mods or just piece of mind. Either way, Patrick at PSI can hook you up.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
PSI in webster bro, excellent shop to go to. FYI--you can slip into a built shortblock for the same price as a new stock shortblock. Then you could get it running and have strong internals for later mods or just piece of mind. Either way, Patrick at PSI can hook you up.

Yeah, that's who tuned the truck actually, as well as a few other things for me. I'll probably have them do the work, but I'm not 100% sure yet. Biggest thing is to get the motor first. I'd like to go built simply for the "safety" if you will. I don't want a motor making 1000HP right now, but having forged rods, etc would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread