Winter claims another L...

svtboosting

Established Member
sucks but i was expecting a crash thread. it could have been much worse judging from what has been happening on this site lately.

Thats what i thought too, it sucks man, i sold mine and the guy blew it up 2 miles down the road right after he bought it from me, he threw a rod though

Paulinator

Established Member
Yeah its called the rods. All rods in 99-04 L's are cast.

What probably happened was the dense cold air cause his maf to peg out which cause a lean condition and caused some detonation. That caused the rod to say **** this and fail. Its a very common occurrence in the winter time for stock internal blocks.

Oh and generally winter tunes have less timing and more gas added into them to compensate for cold air and shit winter gas.

im going to blame his tuner for running to drastic of a tune on it..

ive been running on a summer tune on a 4.6L with 183,000 miles original long block. 10lbs of boost making 404rwhp.. for going on 2 years with no problems with lean or rich a/f conditions between summer and winter.. either he didnt hear the detonation and didnt get out or his tuner didnt do a safe tune on it.

Smokinjoe

Established Member
Thats what i thought too, it sucks man, i sold mine and the guy blew it up 2 miles down the road right after he bought it from me, he threw a rod though

471whp on the stock block? No wonder it blew up. Sucks to be the guy you sold it too, lol.

When I sold my '93 SHO the buyer lost the automatic transmission on the way home. I felt really bad. But not bad enough to give him his money back. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread