Will The GT500 Sell Out?

drmustang

Banned
Jpjr said:
cars become collectible for one reason supply vs demand. either 1) very few are built like ferraris which makes them collectible from day one, or 2) enough time goes by (like say 40-45 yrs) where the once unending supply has dwindled down to a short supply of mint vehicles.

ford will build as many GT 500's as they can sell. more than the Z06 or Viper because they are cheaper. so you will see a decline in value simply because there will be no supply shortage. maybe 50 yrs from now, things will be different.

don't buy a new car expecting it to appreciate in value.

This is the simple reality. This car will depreciate in value for decades. The point in time when a surviving GT500 could ever appreciate in value from its original selling price is so far in the future that it is not worth pondering.

Buy one at a price that you are personally comfortable with and enjoy it. Purchasing a mass produced new car and having any thoughts of it constituting an "investment" is ludicrous.

Last edited:

OKC03Cobra

Established Member
LSR said:
I agree with you somewhat. I do believe the GT500 will sell out. So many people think just people here in the U.S. will want the car. But like I mentioned in a previous thread, people all around the globe or familure with Mr. Shelby and love U.S. Muscle Cars. The 07 GT500 is a true Retro Muscle Car, and I have freinds that are European residents and have flown here to the U.S. and ordered the GT500 and have high spots on several dealer list for the car. I have a ex-coworker that live in Austalia and he is getting a GT500 Shelby. And they all know so many other people alike that plan on purchasing the GT500. They also know people in the U.S. are banking on waiting thinking the cars will be plentiful. People here in the U.S. that plan on waiting I believe is in for a BIG surprise.

Ford already has run into an issue of transmission availibilty. As did with blowers that was used on the Ford GT that they wanted for the GT500. Anything can happen that can make a production numbers less than more that we will never know what happens behind the doors.

As is no one ever figured that SVT would be no more, or the new 500 hp Lightning would be a no go, or even the SVT Adenaline.

And with no more SVT, the GT500 will be the last SVT vehicle according to reports. And yes it is an SVT vehicle. And I don't think Ford will do a Mustang above the GT Mustang and below the GT500. It just wouldn't make sense.

But with the cars alotted to Canada, and the U.S. The GT500 will sell out. Dealerships are already calling other dealers opting to buy the GT500's they will get and well over sticker. As well as car collectors that will buy the car and try and get it behind the first one at Barret Jackson just to see and set a tone. And when ever if they announce the last one, that car also will and can bring the selling price of the 1st one selling for $600,000 at Barrett Jackson.

And like the GT500, people are waiting for the up and coming 08 Dodge Challenger and the Chevy Camaro. Retro Muscle Cars are what people have been wanting and waiting on. It just brings back good car memories.

I plan on purchasing a Dodge Challenger as well. ;-)

Just my opinion Crazyhorse06, you tend to always respond that the GT500 will not be as valueable as the prevous Shelby GT500's, I tend to disagree. If what you are saying is true, then the 1st one wouldn't have auctioned off for $600,000. That mark I think will be beaten becasue the history of Barrett Jackson is to out do themselves everytime. And many other GT500's will show up at Barrett Jackson as well as rich people trying to out do the other. And esspecially if the 1st on is a coupe. What will a vert. bring at Barrett Jackson? And for sure Barrett Jackson when seeing another GT500 will say what the last one went for such as $600K.

Granted people can go to the dealer and get on alot less, but the people at Barrett Jackson is a different breed of people after seeing what they pay for what is not the last one and mostly restored.

The end result, this car will sell out, and it will be Good for Ford :rockon:

This is the best analysis of the whole SVT/GT500 debacle that I have ever read. My options are 1)keep my 03 Cobra and drop in a 302 stoker with Stage II Crower cams and a KB, 2)buy a Challenger, 3)buy a Camaro. Number 3 is only an option if the Camaro SS comes with a detuned 450hp LS7.

USBlueStage2

Established Member
LSR said:
And I don't think Ford will do a Mustang above the GT Mustang and below the GT500. It just wouldn't make sense.

What about the Mach 1, i.e. n/a 4.6L DOHC that fit nicely between the Mustang GT and the 03-04 Cobra?

What about the Bullitt? That was a slight bump in perf. on Mustang GT and below the then 320 hp Cobra.

They made sense to Ford, and were not engineered by SVT (or didnt have an svt badge).

So why not have a 5.4L n/a DOHC called the Boss Mustang that pumps about 400 hp all set for the 2008 model year? There certainly is plenty of precedent for it :-D

On the thread topic, the Shelby will, of course, sell out.

Last edited:

LSR

2nd To None
Established Member
Crazyhorse06 & Jpjr, well said and I do understand believe me.

BUT

I recieved a call weeks ago from a guy in Georgia that is a member of a HUGE Shelby GT350-GT500 club were these guys have GT350-GT500 from 67-69. And everyone of those guys are buying a new 07 GT500 because of collectors like them are making the car valuable and it hasn't made a year old yet.

Values that one wouldn't believe. Think about it. a guy has the original and then a retro modern version.

We all know, well most know what the pattern of valuable cars are. 30-40+ yrs. old or very low production numbers. But from what I was told by a few collectors is they want the 07 GT500 Shelby, more than they wanted there 67-69 GT500 back in the day.

And by the way, these guys wanted my position in line, and offered big bucks. I had two #1 spots, but now only have one spot which is at MSRP. The other one the dealership was unsure as to how much they would markup the car, so I let that one go to the next guy in line when I told them about my MSRP offer.

But in all, this GT500 is really setting records and have gotten the attention of not only those who have the 67-69 GT500's , but those who missed out back then. (The baby boomers). That don't plan on missing out this time. They are already calling and checking to see when one will cross the stage at Barrett Jackson.

This is why I say the car will sell out. I feel really lucky to get on at MSRP.

OKC03Cobra

Established Member
USBlueStage2 said:
What about the Mach 1, i.e. n/a 4.6L DOHC that fit nicely between the Mustang GT and the 03-04 Cobra?

What about the Bullitt? That was a slight bump in perf. on Mustang GT and below the then 320 hp Cobra.

They made sense to Ford, and were not engineered by SVT (or didnt have an svt badge).

So why not have a 5.4L n/a DOHC called the Boss Mustang that pumps about 400 hp all set for the 2008 model year? There certainly is plenty of precedent for it :-D

I would prefer a 7.0L n/a Hurricane called the Boss Mustang that puts out 450hp(underrated of course, real hp is 500). I find it hard to believe that anyone would get the GT500 for MSRP. Every dealer I have talked to wants $50k-$70k.

LSR

2nd To None
Established Member
USBlueStage2 said:

Don't get me wrong, this is my prediction only, and I would like to see more high HP Mustangs. If they were to duplicate cars like the Mach 1 and the Bullitt with the new body style, the cars would sell.

BUT

I say this because of all the reconstuctering/downsizing that Ford is doing within.

Our local Ford Explorer plant here in St.Louis just rolled off the line the last Explorer on 3-8 Wed. of this month. And this is going to happen at many more Ford plants.

Ford already cancelled the Ford GT, the Adrenalin, and the 500hp Lightning Truck that they promised to build.

If more high hp cars were going to be produced, then they would have left SVT in place.

I believe dealership and aftermarket parts companies will have to step up to the plate if any high performance version Mustang will be produced and sold at dealerships like Rousch, Saleen, and Shelby. And dealerships creating Mustangs like a California Special etc...

Sort of like how the Yenko and Berger Camaro's came about.

GTWill

Established Member
Can anyone name another car that was in great demand that was discontinued by any manufacturer. My point is that Ford making good money off a car will not discontinue it until the demand is met. HTT has already said enough will be made for everybody who wants one. If there is demand for 100,000 Ford will build 100,000. If there is demand for 20,000 then ford will build 20,000. IMO right now Ford is thinking 20,000 will fill the demand. If they need more they will build more. If demand falls quickly they could build less.

miniSHO

Established Member
You guys know crazyhorse06 is correct, but just don't want to admit it. It's all hype at this point. Once the handful of people buy their cars over MSRP, the demand will subside and prices will come down. That's just the way it is. For those of you buying these cars as an investment, that's crazy. Same process happend with the Teminator, Ford GT, ZO6. Nothing different with this car "Shelby" or not.

venams03

Established Member
Yup.

I'm taking the wait and see approach as I don't see that many unit being "sold-out" for over MSRP. Prices should drop as soon as the "I gotta have one now" buyers go away.

I've been systematically removed from almost every list that I've been on. One by the one the dealers call and explain, "I'm only getting 2 or 3", and "these cars are gonna fly off the showroom", and "peoplle are calling me from all around the country". Whatever...

I'm either going to buy one sometime next year or if not available, I'll buy something else; Challenger, Used Viper..something. I understand that business is not that great for Ford, or even GM for that matter. But there are still lots of "hot-rod" buyers out there that will drive the market and if FORD truly is doing away with SVT and will not be offering future cars like the GT500, so be it. The buyers like me will find another car to spend their hard-earned money on. NO flame against the GT or FORD, that's just the way it is.

So all I have to say to those dealers is: "Go sell the hell out 'em and try to rape everyone you can, while you can". We'll see what if anything is left over late next year and then we'll talk price. Any by the way, I'll be lowering my offering price if those greedy dealers end up calling me back; simply Supply and Demand!

mrGT

Established Member
GTWill said:
Can anyone name another car that was in great demand that was discontinued by any manufacturer. My point is that Ford making good money off a car will not discontinue it until the demand is met. HTT has already said enough will be made for everybody who wants one. If there is demand for 100,000 Ford will build 100,000. If there is demand for 20,000 then ford will build 20,000. IMO right now Ford is thinking 20,000 will fill the demand. If they need more they will build more. If demand falls quickly they could build less.
This gets my vote! Ford is struggling financially, so why not continue to make this Shelby? The only reason to stop is if Ford wanted to make it a collector's item or the demand dries up...well, they've already missed the boat on making it a "limited edition" by producing 7-10,000 per year for a scheduled 2 year run. The assembly line will already be in full force, and IF the demand is still heavy, the money will continue to pour into their financial caldrons.

People should remember this about the original Shelby production numbers:

Shelby Production (1969-70)
Shelby GT350 Convertible 194
Shelby GT500 Convertible 335
Shelby GT350 Fastback 935
Shelby GT500 Fastback 1,536
Shelby GT500 Fastback Hertz Car 152
Shelby Special Models 3
Total 1969-70 Shelbys
(includes 789 updated 1970 models) 3,155

Source TMS

~

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
mrGT said:
Shelby Production (1969-70)
Shelby GT350 Convertible 194
Shelby GT500 Convertible 335
Shelby GT350 Fastback 935
Shelby GT500 Fastback 1,536
Shelby GT500 Fastback Hertz Car 152
Shelby Special Models 3
Total 1969-70 Shelbys
(includes 789 updated 1970 models) 3,155

Source TMS

Exactly, and most were raced and wrecked.

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
Future Value of Shelby

OKC03Cobra said:
This is the best analysis of the whole SVT/GT500 debacle that I have ever read. My options are 1)keep my 03 Cobra and drop in a 302 stoker with Stage II Crower cams and a KB, 2)buy a Challenger, 3)buy a Camaro. Number 3 is only an option if the Camaro SS comes with a detuned 450hp LS7.

The 600,000.00 for the Shelby was because it was a charity sale for Shelby's charity, and a tribute to him at B-J.........Just look on Ebay and you will see the actual amount over MSRP people are willing to pay to have one.....Nowhere near 600K.....Most of these cars will be sold at 10-20K over MSRP for the first few months............

broeli

Established Member
I agree that anyone that buys the Shelby as an investment is crazy. Most cars that will be valuable over time are the ones that are extrememly limited in #'s. I don't consider 20,000 cars limited...maybe more since they'll make as many as they can sell. It doesn't even sound like the Shelby's will be numbered. I'd consider such cars as all the Cobra R's, Saleen S351, etc. as much better investments if that's what you're looking for. There were only 300 '00 R's and you can still buy nice low mileage ones for what a Shelby would cost. You can also buy a low mileage 95 R for 28-30k. Maybe even look for a low mileage comp prep SVO. Just my opinion :)

Jpjr

Established Member
LSR said:
Crazyhorse06 & Jpjr, well said and I do understand believe me.

BUT

I recieved a call weeks ago from a guy in Georgia that is a member of a HUGE Shelby GT350-GT500 club were these guys have GT350-GT500 from 67-69. And everyone of those guys are buying a new 07 GT500 because of collectors like them are making the car valuable and it hasn't made a year old yet.

Values that one wouldn't believe. Think about it. a guy has the original and then a retro modern version.

We all know, well most know what the pattern of valuable cars are. 30-40+ yrs. old or very low production numbers. But from what I was told by a few collectors is they want the 07 GT500 Shelby, more than they wanted there 67-69 GT500 back in the day.

And by the way, these guys wanted my position in line, and offered big bucks. I had two #1 spots, but now only have one spot which is at MSRP. The other one the dealership was unsure as to how much they would markup the car, so I let that one go to the next guy in line when I told them about my MSRP offer.

But in all, this GT500 is really setting records and have gotten the attention of not only those who have the 67-69 GT500's , but those who missed out back then. (The baby boomers). That don't plan on missing out this time. They are already calling and checking to see when one will cross the stage at Barrett Jackson.

This is why I say the car will sell out. I feel really lucky to get on at MSRP.

I see your position, but your simply proving economic reality. There is no supply right now! Demand is raising prices because no one has one or can have one. Once they start mass producing them off the line, and an equilibrium can be established, you will see a traditional decline in price. This is not my opinion, this is economics.

The Z06 is a better value than the Shelby (IMHO), there will be many fewer made, and collection appeal should be higher because most normal people cannot access the market due to sticker shock. But believe me, that car will depreciate just as fast if not faster.

04SCRMINYLWVERT

Established Member
I'm defiantly going to wait on this one, as I plan on keeping my Terminator too. I'll buy one depending on the HP/TQ numbers, though I'm a little worried as most say it will only handle 50HP more than a 03/04 before you have to go into the block.

PDubs

Established Member
The car will sell, if they produce < 7500, all should sell. However, my 03 is the last Ford I'll own (someone else mentioned this same thing above too).

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I don't understand this thread, anything will sell out. The termainator did, at 7 grand under msrp.

ckck

Established Member
At $10,000 over Msrp it will take a very long time to sell them out.
I wait for the discounts. You could take that $10,000 and buy a 04 GTO for a beater car.

SVTF#4327

Established Member
I don't think the GT500 will sell out at MSRP plus markup if the predicted number of 15,000 to 20,000 built over 2 years holds true. Anyone who buys one just for a investment is dumb. Just imagine what $40,000 to $50,000 in a money market account would be worth in 20 or 30 years. I would think a whole lot more than the GT500 will fetch at Barrett Jackson.

mrGT

Established Member
SVTF#4327 said:
I don't think the GT500 will sell out at MSRP plus markup if the predicted number of 15,000 to 20,000 built over 2 years holds true. Anyone who buys one just for a investment is dumb. Just imagine what $40,000 to $50,000 in a money market account would be worth in 20 or 30 years. I would think a whole lot more than the GT500 will fetch at Barrett Jackson.
The MSRP+ program will not last long, maybe 6 months at the most, then the price will be MSRP.

Users who are viewing this thread