Will The GT500 Sell Out?

04SCRMINYLWVERT

Established Member
Unfortunately for the Die-hard Cobra enthusiast, I believe this car is going to sell out completely especially if there is only around 10k made. Good job and I don't blame Ford for doing what is best for them. They knew a lot of people look at the original GT500; it's original sticker price, and what it's worth today. The frenzy of the baby boomers who didn't buy one before and regret the hell out of it, mixed with today's high performance car enthusiast are going to make this a hot item. This is not like the Terminator, where you had normal SVT faithful and some performance buffs buying the car. This Shelby because of the name is going to have people that sneer and disgust domestic cars wanting it. The exotic collection club, and so forth will want it not to drive it, but to have it in their garage or showroom. Although I don’t believe it will ever be worth even 25% of what the original is worth, I think it will hold some value. It will sell out fast though, and to the highest bidder. If there really is a problem getting the trans. made then were going to see a missed opportunity for Ford, and a lot of pissed off people who won't get one.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
The true collectors should realize it won't be the high dollar car the old ones are. If indeed 20K are made and several are stored/well kept, then there will be a bunch available in the future. A car must be difficult to obtain to be worth a bunch of money.

jshen

Established Member
Why get bent out of shape over a car? I love rods as much as anyone but...it should control you. A note about the transmission....They are NOT using the old T56 but a beefed up T5660 or some number as I understand it. Whether they build what you like...the other car companies are coming in with good stuff....like the Challenger...Peace

LSR

2nd To None
Established Member
My $0.02

I agree with you somewhat. I do believe the GT500 will sell out. So many people think just people here in the U.S. will want the car. But like I mentioned in a previous thread, people all around the globe or familure with Mr. Shelby and love U.S. Muscle Cars. The 07 GT500 is a true Retro Muscle Car, and I have freinds that are European residents and have flown here to the U.S. and ordered the GT500 and have high spots on several dealer list for the car. I have a ex-coworker that live in Austalia and he is getting a GT500 Shelby. And they all know so many other people alike that plan on purchasing the GT500. They also know people in the U.S. are banking on waiting thinking the cars will be plentiful. People here in the U.S. that plan on waiting I believe is in for a BIG surprise.

Ford already has run into an issue of transmission availibilty. As did with blowers that was used on the Ford GT that they wanted for the GT500. Anything can happen that can make a production numbers less than more that we will never know what happens behind the doors.

As is no one ever figured that SVT would be no more, or the new 500 hp Lightning would be a no go, or even the SVT Adenaline.

And with no more SVT, the GT500 will be the last SVT vehicle according to reports. And yes it is an SVT vehicle. And I don't think Ford will do a Mustang above the GT Mustang and below the GT500. It just wouldn't make sense.

But with the cars alotted to Canada, and the U.S. The GT500 will sell out. Dealerships are already calling other dealers opting to buy the GT500's they will get and well over sticker. As well as car collectors that will buy the car and try and get it behind the first one at Barret Jackson just to see and set a tone. And when ever if they announce the last one, that car also will and can bring the selling price of the 1st one selling for $600,000 at Barrett Jackson.

And like the GT500, people are waiting for the up and coming 08 Dodge Challenger and the Chevy Camaro. Retro Muscle Cars are what people have been wanting and waiting on. It just brings back good car memories.

I plan on purchasing a Dodge Challenger as well. ;-)

Just my opinion Crazyhorse06, you tend to always respond that the GT500 will not be as valueable as the prevous Shelby GT500's, I tend to disagree. If what you are saying is true, then the 1st one wouldn't have auctioned off for $600,000. That mark I think will be beaten becasue the history of Barrett Jackson is to out do themselves everytime. And many other GT500's will show up at Barrett Jackson as well as rich people trying to out do the other. And esspecially if the 1st on is a coupe. What will a vert. bring at Barrett Jackson? And for sure Barrett Jackson when seeing another GT500 will say what the last one went for such as $600K.

Granted people can go to the dealer and get a GT500 alot less, but people at Barrett Jackson is a different breed of people. After seeing what they pay for non original cars. We may see the last 07 GT500 at Barrett Jackson, which may bring more than $600,000.

The end result, this car will sell out, and it will be Good for Ford :rockon:

Last edited:

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
It will sell out fast this year and then next year the price will stabilize and more will be available probably.

LSR

2nd To None
Established Member
I believe the next year run of GT500's will see a price increase justified by new options such as maybe chrome wheels etc. And still a well sought after car for those who will want the new color combo's.

mrGT

Established Member
LSR said:
I believe the next year run of GT500's will see a price increase justified by new options such as maybe chrome wheels etc. And still a well sought after car for those who will want the new color combo's.
And those that couldn't get one this year.....

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
if i was really rich i would buy a gt500 and let it sit in the garage. But since im not i think i would buy the car, drive it like it was made to be and then sell it for something else that will be even better than the gt500 in the future. You'll never know whats in stores in the future.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
04SCRMINYLWVERT said:
Unfortunately for the Die-hard Cobra enthusiast, I believe this car is going to sell out completely especially if there is only around 10k made. Good job and I don't blame Ford for doing what is best for them. They knew a lot of people look at the original GT500; it's original sticker price, and what it's worth today. The frenzy of the baby boomers who didn't buy one before and regret the hell out of it, mixed with today's high performance car enthusiast are going to make this a hot item. This is not like the Terminator, where you had normal SVT faithful and some performance buffs buying the car. This Shelby because of the name is going to have people that sneer and disgust domestic cars wanting it. The exotic collection club, and so forth will want it not to drive it, but to have it in their garage or showroom. Although I don’t believe it will ever be worth even 25% of what the original is worth, I think it will hold some value. It will sell out fast though, and to the highest bidder. If there really is a problem getting the trans. made then were going to see a missed opportunity for Ford, and a lot of pissed off people who won't get one.

Ford will never sell out this car, until they offer deep insentives, as they did with the Cobra. Shit, you can still find a few new ones sitting in dealerships. With outrageous premiumins it just won't sell out. Just look at the supercar, limited production GT. How many they sell :burn: so far?

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
LSR said:
Just my opinion Crazyhorse06, you tend to always respond that the GT500 will not be as valueable as the prevous Shelby GT500's, I tend to disagree. If what you are saying is true, then the 1st one wouldn't have auctioned off for $600,000. That mark I think will be beaten becasue the history of Barrett Jackson is to out do themselves everytime. And many other GT500's will show up at Barrett Jackson as well as rich people trying to out do the other. And esspecially if the 1st on is a coupe. What will a vert. bring at Barrett Jackson? And for sure Barrett Jackson when seeing another GT500 will say what the last one went for such as $600K.

That was a charity auction with a bynch of wealthy folks showing off. It has nothing to do with the intrinsic value of this car. If I get one it is to drive the shit out of and then move onto the next new thing I could care less that this car has any value 30+ years from now.....Steve

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
LSR said:

That was a charity auction with a bunch of wealthy folks showing off. It has nothing to do with the intrinsic value of this car. If I get one it is to drive the shit out of and then move onto the next new thing I could care less that this car has any value 30+ years from now.....Steve

trance_in_miami

Established Member
LSR said:
I agree with you somewhat. I do believe the GT500 will sell out. So many people think just people here in the U.S. will want the car. But like I mentioned in a previous thread, people all around the globe or familure with Mr. Shelby and love U.S. Muscle Cars. The 07 GT500 is a true Retro Muscle Car, and I have freinds that are European residents and have flown here to the U.S. and ordered the GT500 and have high spots on several dealer list for the car. I have a ex-coworker that live in Austalia and he is getting a GT500 Shelby. And they all know so many other people alike that plan on purchasing the GT500. They also know people in the U.S. are banking on waiting thinking the cars will be plentiful. People here in the U.S. that plan on waiting I believe is in for a BIG surprise.

Ford already has run into an issue of transmission availibilty. As did with blowers that was used on the Ford GT that they wanted for the GT500. Anything can happen that can make a production numbers less than more that we will never know what happens behind the doors.

As is no one ever figured that SVT would be no more, or the new 500 hp Lightning would be a no go, or even the SVT Adenaline.

And with no more SVT, the GT500 will be the last SVT vehicle according to reports. And yes it is an SVT vehicle. And I don't think Ford will do a Mustang above the GT Mustang and below the GT500. It just wouldn't make sense.

But with the cars alotted to Canada, and the U.S. The GT500 will sell out. Dealerships are already calling other dealers opting to buy the GT500's they will get and well over sticker. As well as car collectors that will buy the car and try and get it behind the first one at Barret Jackson just to see and set a tone. And when ever if they announce the last one, that car also will and can bring the selling price of the 1st one selling for $600,000 at Barrett Jackson.

And like the GT500, people are waiting for the up and coming 08 Dodge Challenger and the Chevy Camaro. Retro Muscle Cars are what people have been wanting and waiting on. It just brings back good car memories.

I plan on purchasing a Dodge Challenger as well. ;-)

Granted people can go to the dealer and get on alot less, but the people at Barrett Jackson is a different breed of people after seeing what they pay for what is not the last one and mostly restored.

I agree 100% :read:

MINGREYCOBRA

Established Member
Barrett-Jackson is just a bunch of rich people with nothing better to do but spend money on cars foolishly . Even though the new shelby will sell out fast , 07 and 08 , there will be a few available near sticker for some people . I personally think its only worth list price and thats it . Everything sold today is based on hype , so knowing this makes me think I would not try to be the first guy that gets a shelby . It pays to be patient . I just hope one you of you guys on this forum gives me a ride in the dam thing so I can feel the FORD POWER !! I mentioned this the other day , if there makin 7000 units and that works out to 2 per dealer roughly , then I know there all gone already as my local dealer already told me months ago that the owner of the dealership getting the first one and the second one is going to one of his buddys . I think this going to be the trend on this car , its just too collectible . So that means in my case , no shelby for me from my dealer , I suspect the same all over .

rmgtc01

Established Member
not sure how the demise of SVT will play into the price, but we saw the 03 35k MSRP coupes in 02/03 going for 38/39k at first and the verts for around 41k. It died down pretty quick until they tried that again witht eh mystic and 10th ann. In 04 the good incentives came, but values plumeted from the hype numbers from 7-10k. A coupe was around 30k ish or so new. I saw used verts with 5k or less miles going for 30k and under. So this may hold true to the shelby as well. Best thing is to wait about 1.5 years and then look.

04SCRMINYLWVERT

Established Member
Well this is not the type of vehicle the SVT Coletti started would have come out with. I thought SVT was about the average Joe car enthusiast being able to afford one. I still can't wait to see what this car can do. If your looking for value down the road, I suggest you invest in a 2000 Cobra R with only 300 made, that’s where the value will be in the future. The GT500 will sell out, but I'm thinking it may be more then a 2 year run if they sell out fast both years. I mean if your Ford wouldn't you extend it until there wasn't really a demand for them (PT Cruiser, and Thunderbird ring a bell). I'm thinking when it's all said and done we'll be looking at about 30-40k produced. Those that wait will be able to get one at MSRP or under; it just may be a few years.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
LSR said:

Granted people can go to the dealer and get on alot less, but the people at Barrett Jackson is a different breed of people after seeing what they pay for what is not the last one and mostly restored.

I understand why people think this will be collectible. It prob will be collectible someday. It will not have the collectibility of the old ones. The B-J car went that high for several reasons. IT was #1, it was at B-J, it was tax deductible and most importantly, the guy who bought it thought it would be rare. It is not going to be a rare car. There will be as many of these or more than Terms. Putting Shelby's name on helps a little, but, how many of the Shelby GLHs are bringing big cash? They are "real" Shelbys

Look at the history of collector cars. They have to be highly desired and very hard to obtain. A car that is manufactured to the tune of 30,000 will not be rare. If you think Ford will stop at 7500 because that is what they said, you are nuts. They said they were going to make 6500 Mach 1s. I think they ended up with over 16,000. Ford will build as many as they can sell and have a few left over in the end.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a hot collector car. I do plan to keep this one forever as long as it is not a lemon. I am not, however, buying it because I think it will be worth a bunch someday. I'm buying it because it is the hottest Mustang ever to come out of the factory.

Ford put the Shelby name on this car to create hype and sell a bunch of them. Thinking this car will be worth a bunch is falling prey to that hype. It is what is driving all these people to thinking they must pay 10 or more grand over sticker to get one. IF they don't, they think they won't get one. They think it is ok because they will recoup that in 20 years. Pay what you want, but, mark my words, they will be available for deals faster than you think. Ask all the Terminator, Mach1, Bullitt, T-Bird, Ford GT, Z06, M3, etc., etc. buyers that paid over sticker only to see others get deals within a year later.

Last edited:

Jpjr

Established Member
cars become collectible for one reason supply vs demand. either 1) very few are built like ferraris which makes them collectible from day one, or 2) enough time goes by (like say 40-45 yrs) where the once unending supply has dwindled down to a short supply of mint vehicles.

ford will build as many GT 500's as they can sell. more than the Z06 or Viper because they are cheaper. so you will see a decline in value simply because there will be no supply shortage. maybe 50 yrs from now, things will be different.

don't buy a new car expecting it to appreciate in value.

Users who are viewing this thread