Will new Challenger platform be too much?

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Read that Dodge will have a 500 lb lighter platform coming for the Challenger. If they can keep the Hellcat motor in it, it'll be tough to beat. The Demon motor would be insane.

Recon

Established Member
They're relevant right now even with being heavy. Maybe not the best corner carver but they do good in a straight lineWhen they're on the Giorgio platform they'll be even more wicked. Excellent for the competition.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Fiat doesn't have the cash to update the Ram chassis, which is their best seller. I doubt we'll see a replacement for the 20 year old MB underpinnings of the Challenger any time soon.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I thought it was supposed to be in the Giulia platform for '19 Trav?

Will be interesting if they can stuff a tall deck 90 degree blown V8 in this engine bay:

1920px-V6_Quadrifoglio_%2828305207270%29.jpg

fitforspeed

Established Member
IMG_0252.JPG
Will be interesting if they can stuff a tall deck 90 degree blown V8 in this engine bay:

1920px-V6_Quadrifoglio_%2828305207270%29.jpg

Lol, looks like a rats nest in there. Maybe with a wire tuck it'll fit.
or maybe they could just go 2jz since it might be considered a foreign car if china gets it way.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Never going to fit the Hellcat motor in the Guila platform.
I drive a Hellcat everyday and need 4 doors, so I'll be sure to swap my '16 for the last year of the current Charger Hellcat. It really is that good for what I want and what most gear heads would want in a daily ride.
I'll still always have the 2-door Mustang, but I'll be honest I'm disappointed with Ford in the current market.
The GT isn't relevant with the price/application, and the Mustang is great with the GT/350/350R, but it lacks power to be a top dog and is just not something that I want to trade out my '14 GT500.
We will see what I've been told and what really comes out, but the GT500 better be epic for being this late.
-J

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Fiat doesn't have the cash to update the Ram chassis, which is their best seller. I doubt we'll see a replacement for the 20 year old MB underpinnings of the Challenger any time soon.
I agree Travis. And there have been rumors of a lighter Challenger platform before, but nothing has materialized. They've done pretty well with the existing platform, old as it is. I just saw a black on black SRT Challenger today and thought "I would actually like that Challenger in my garage". IMO the best of the three "pony" cars. I don't even mind the extra size and weight. Just a good looking car. They've done pretty well with the current platform.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
I love Mustangs and will always have at least one, but I could see myself with a Hellcat Charger or Challenger and be completely happy too.

Ford needs to step their game up with the Mustang. 460hp is good, dont get me wrong, but they need something more to compete with what GM and FCA are putting out. The GT350 is awesome but probably doesnt make for the best street car with the Voodoo engine. I want torque!

Clemson

Established Member
Id be daily-ing a challenger right now if they werent such boats. Other than that, good looking and lots of power.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yep I traded a badass AMG SUV for a HC Charger and couldn't be happier as a DD. One of few cars that live up to hype.
-J

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I think Travis is right, if they can't find money to update the Ram then we should expect the Giulia platform Challenger to get pushed back indefinitely. Plus they're facing a federal lawsuit similar to VWs over their EcoDiesel. If it weren't for the Takata recall they'd have the dubious distinction of the largest recall ever. Their extra cash will be taken up for quite a while.

Troponin

Established Member
What is this Giulia platform y'all are talking about?

I would def consider trading my 16 Charger for a 19 with 500lbs less and other updates. Atm, there aren't enough 4 door high hp cars in a reasonable price range. They're pretty much all over 100k. Hell, none of the other 2 doors have as much room as the Challenger either. I guess that's the benefit of being the only muscle car available.

Recon

Established Member
The Alpha Romeo Giulia is on the Giorgio platform. Rumor has it the Challenger and Charger will be on that platform, possibly 2020 or 2021. They'll also loose 500lbs on that chassis. But looks like that might be delayed.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
^^^ Yep, that's the latest report/rumor. Hopefully the dates won't be pushed back or the platform changed. And equally hopeful that the rumored 500 lb. weight reduction will hold, seeing that the Ghibli’s platform is longer than the Giulia's platform, and closer to the existing Charger's length.

"For a while, we’d heard both the Charger and the Challenger would eventually be moved to the Giorgio platform that underpins the Alfa Romeo Giulia. But according to the latest rumor, that plan has changed.

Automotive News reports that the Charger and Challenger will get one more refresh for 2019 before being completely redesigned for 2021. That redesign will reportedly focus on reducing weight and improving fuel economy.
But when they do get redesigned, they’ll supposedly ride on the Maserati Ghibli’s platform, not the Alfa Romeo Giulia’s."

specizripn

Established Member
How often do weight reduction rumors actually happen? So many times we have been advertised enormous weight reductions just to have vehicles weigh slightly less, or even more in the real world...

ObieFox

Established Member
I replaced my '13 GT500 with a '16 HC Challenger and I honestly couldn't be happier. I am a dyed in the wool Ford guy, but my HC challenger is simply the best DD muscle car I've ever driven.

Sergio is going to party to the end...but the end is near.

Users who are viewing this thread