Will my car hook better in warm weather?

gwalker

Established Member
I have only been able to drive it on cold days since I just got it. Like 30's and 40's. WOT 3rd gear at 60mph it breaks loose. Will warm temps make a big difference? Or do I need to start planning some suspension and tire mods?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Yes warmer weather makes a huge difference but you'll still need some decent tires. What's your hp?

supraman1990

Established Member
That tire would break loose on your moms Corolla. Invest in a good tire and it will make a huge difference. Either a pure drag radial if its a nice day car or possibly a Toyo Proxies R888 if you get occasionally caught in the rain. That will make a huge difference now and even more when it gets warm

gwalker

Established Member
That tire would break loose on your moms Corolla. Invest in a good tire and it will make a huge difference. Either a pure drag radial if its a nice day car or possibly a Toyo Proxies R888 if you get occasionally caught in the rain. That will make a huge difference now and even more when it gets warm

Ya kinda thought they might be sucky tires. Would switching to a 17 instead of 18 make a difference?

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
or you could run a 1/4" wheel spacer like I do. I have 18x10s on the back and run a 305 mickey thompson DR and they dont rub on the inside at all, they only occasionally bottom out on hard bumps but my car is lowered on H&R sport springs

Hostlntent

Established Member
yeah those arent the best tires to use with our cars, I had a pair of those that came with a set of Replica wheels I bought some time ago and quickly learned I needed to upgrade tires; made a huge difference.

Last edited:

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Yes it makes a huge difference, though those tires will suck year round. My 450rwhp Cobra will blow the 345/30/18 drag radials off if I nail it in 3rd on a 40 degree night, but barely spin in 2nd gear on a 70 degree day.

Last edited:

gwalker

Established Member
Thanks guys. Will def be getting new tires in spring. Wont be driving it much more this winter

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
To answer your question, warmer weather typically helps with traction. However the underlying problem, like all the other guys have pointed out, is that sumitomo tires are absolutely horrible for going fast. Those tires have horrible traction no matter what weather it is. I personally, run the Mickey Thompson ET streets on a 17x10.5" wheel. Going to a 17" wheel will open up your tire options and save you some money. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread