Will i make 500 RWHP

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
My car with stage 4 port, ported pl stock tb, 2.76 upper,Mafia.Jlt intake, jab shorty headers. catted hiflow h-pipe and fr500 catback, 19 degree timing, 91 octane gas. made sea 497rwhp and 480rwtq on a dynojet. I might be forgetting some stuff.

wtsn8ke

Established Member
Thanks for all the input guys. Not interested in a TS (for now) as this is mainly a weekend toy and street driven. I got the blower back from being polished and it looks awesome. Talked to the shop and I am going to go with a 4 lb lower and 60's. This way i should have no problem acheiving 500 on a safe tune, even with the 91. Now i want to know if you think i will be OK with just the BAP and running the 2.65 upper pulley/4LB lower set up (I have the option of going with the 2.93 upper that came w/the blower). LMK!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

cobracide

Established Member
Yep - the BAP will do it with a mafia or ba2400. Watch the torque plate on the steg V, the welds crack. Watch the boost and IAT2's as well. 2.65/4# puts you at about 17# of boost. Most people limit the boost to 15# I think with 91 octane so make sure your tuner knows what he's doing. Did the tuner recommend those pulley sizes? Snakerider's boost is in the low 14# btw.

fyi -

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...3-max-boost-03-04-cobra-so-cal-91-octane.html

Last edited:

wtsn8ke

Established Member
Tuner is definitely good. The 2.65 upper is what i currently have on the non-ported eaton and the 2.93 came with the stage 4. Why would 17# be max on 91? I see guys with TS on way more than that.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Tuner is definitely good. The 2.65 upper is what i currently have on the non-ported eaton and the 2.93 came with the stage 4. Why would 17# be max on 91? I see guys with TS on way more than that.

Short answer: 91 sucks ass.

You can't run high psi and pump gas man, that doesn't work.

To safely run high psi, you need to run higher octane.

Most TS guys don't run more than 17psi on just 91 octane. I know there are a few on this board but most won't run anymore than 17psi on 91. Some guys will up it a tad if they are on 93.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
short answer: 91 sucks ass.

Most ts guys don't run more than 17psi on just 91 octane. I know there are a few on this board but most won't run anymore than 17psi on 91. Some guys will up it a tad if they are on 93.

+1

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Short answer: 91 sucks ass.
Most TS guys don't run more than 17psi on just 91 octane. I know there are a few on this board but most won't run anymore than 17psi on 91. Some guys will up it a tad if they are on 93.
Thanks - for the sake of his motor, hopefully this sinks in..

wtsn8ke

Established Member
It did. lol. Last thing i need is a blown motor after all the $ into this thing! 17# should be max if i decide to stay with 2.65 upper. If it is anywhere near the edge, I will go with the 2.93 and be around 15. Even that should get me very close to 500 rwhp with my mods and a good tune.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
It did. lol. Last thing i need is a blown motor after all the $ into this thing! 17# should be max if i decide to stay with 2.65 upper. If it is anywhere near the edge, I will go with the 2.93 and be around 15. Even that should get me very close to 500 rwhp with my mods and a good tune.
Good to hear bro.. Just so you know, once you start getting north of 500 | the power is not manageable on the street.

I'd say, 550HP 500TQ is kinda the sweet spot w/ DRs on the street.. Anything more than that is useless you plan to start in third @ around 80mph & go from there..
If you're looking for a good number.. just ice your reservoir and sit a couple bags of ice on your blower & intake.

If you want to go faster - start pulling weight out..
be sure to post your numbers up. :beer:

cbr repsol

Established Member
Good to hear bro.. Just so you know, once you start getting north of 500 | the power is not manageable on the street.

I'd say, 550HP 500TQ is kinda the sweet spot w/ DRs on the street.. Anything more than that is useless you plan to start in third @ around 80mph & go from there..

He is right, I fixed a couple of issues with his car yesterday . He has a whipple on his car and 1st and second are a bit useless. I would rather have 500rwhp car that hookes than 600rwhp and loose a race because of no traction. By the way noel thanks for the ride :rockon: It was very nice to meet you .:beer:

wtsn8ke

Established Member
Thanks a lot for all the input everyone. That's a good point about too much HP for the street. It's easy to get carried away with these motors! I hope to get the work done and car tuned in next couple weeks. I'll post up the numbers then.

wtsn8ke

Established Member
So i ended up getting the steggy 4, 60's, Accufab TB/plenum, 2.93 upper and 4 lb lower kit. The car now makes 485/490 on a 91 octane tune. I also went to a 3.55 gear since it's a street car and wanted to recoup some reasonable gas mileage. It was about 80 degrees during the run. Still disappointed with only 33 rwhp gain. Comments??

cobracide

Established Member
Well that sux.. What was your boost? Post the dyno. Headers? Posi may be able to squeeze out a few more ponies. Also, I would have went Dragon TB/Plenum instead of accufab.

Last edited:

wtsn8ke

Established Member
Don't have the dyno sheet yet. Apparently the bypass valve that's on the drivers side of the blower is not opening and/or not sealing properly. From what i've read this can cause the air to cavitate in the blower causing power loss. Hopefully this is the problem. Anyone ever heard of this happening?

cbr repsol

Established Member
So i ended up getting the steggy 4, 60's, Accufab TB/plenum, 2.93 upper and 4 lb lower kit. The car now makes 485/490 on a 91 octane tune. Still disappointed with only 33 rwhp gain. Comments??

sounds about right...a friends car made 470rwhp 462rwtq on a steg stage 5 with tq plate,2.76 no fuel help and stock injectors on 91 octane. His prior was 430 rwhp and 442rwtq .

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
So i ended up getting the steggy 4, 60's, Accufab TB/plenum, 2.93 upper and 4 lb lower kit. The car now makes 485/490 on a 91 octane tune. I also went to a 3.55 gear since it's a street car and wanted to recoup some reasonable gas mileage. It was about 80 degrees during the run. Still disappointed with only 33 rwhp gain. Comments??

What type of Dyno and how much timing was in it?

wtsn8ke

Established Member
It's a dynojet. I don't have the sheet but i'm thinking it was 19 degrees. (91 octane)

Users who are viewing this thread