Will an X Pipe make it louder or smoother and quieter?

Zims-mustang

Established Member
I am looking to buy a X pipe for my 2012 Mustang GT, I have a corsa sport axleback currently on it now with a JLT intake. My questions is if I can a X pipe will it make it a little deeper and louder or smoother and quieter. I had seen people say it makes it louder but I contacted corsa on their X pipe and they said it actually makes it quieter and smoother. Which X pipe should I get?

crew_dawg16

Established Member
In my experience, a catless x-pipe is loud and raspy. My aftermarket catted H was nice and deep with a clean sound.

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
Well the borla x pipe doesnt come with cats now does it? And its not an off road
Borla 60513 Borla Mustang X-Pipes

Offroad X is just what everyone calls a catless xpipe..

That x pipe re-uses stock cats..

Go on youtube and see what you like the best.. IMO catless is the way to go with a nice catback, but its all preference and if you need to pass a visual inspection or an emissions sniffer then take that into account.

Last edited:

Bluebolt

Hold my beer n watch this
Established Member
From what I've heard the stock cats flow pretty well. That said I personally like h pipes and I'm eventually gonna do a high flow cat h

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Pretty much what Stampede said... Clearly there is alot of confusion in this thread. The cats are attached directly to the shorty headers. If you replace the headers with long tubes, THEN you need to determine a midpipe that have or don't have cats.

The Borla xpipe that bolts in aftcat doesn't get raspy at all and is definitely louder than the h-pipe. Now, if you replace the over axle pipes as well, then it definitely get's louder than the H.

I went with the Borla S-type kit with xpipe and will never look back.

Digital_Synapse

Established Member
Xpipe's smooth exhaust pulses. Hpipes do not. More turbulent flow at the junction points, not enough to increase back pressure, but enough to affect sound. Think of smooth flowing water vs turbulent water.

austin101385

Established Member
I purchased the borla s-type catback for my 5.0 and ran it with the stock h-pipe for a little while then switched to their x-pipe (had a problem getting it to match up to my pipes without loosening the bolts at the cats).

From experience with the 5.0 exhaust:
h-pipe = louder, deep, a lot more popping, and rougher sounding exhaust
x-pipe = a little quieter, a little higher pitched (still deep), less popping, a lot smoother and a better tuned sound

I agree that the x-pipe used to make the older mustang raspy (I had one on my 2001 Bullitt with flowmasters) and the h-pipe sounded nice, deep, and gave an awesome rumble vs the raspiness of the x-pipe.

But the exhaust on the 5.0 sounds so much smoother with the x-pipe vs the h-pipe (I'm comparing to the stock h-pipe, not sure if aftermarket h-pipes would be any different)

I went back to my h-pipe a couple of weeks ago to try to remember what the h-pipe sounded like and see if I lost any low down torque and switched back to my x-pipe within a couple of days. I actually felt like I lost torque with the h-pipe, like there was hesitation and the car did not run as smooth either.

ghostrider7953

Established Member
I have the Corsa Xtreme w/ the Corsa X pipe. This X pipe fits behind the cats. According to Corsa this setup will give you 10 hp..... whatever.... I like the sound ; people have complimented me about the sound. These cats flow good enough; you'd be better off spending your coins on something else.

Users who are viewing this thread