Will an X Pipe make it louder or smoother and quieter?

Digital_Synapse

Established Member
I have the Corsa Xtreme w/ the Corsa X pipe. This X pipe fits behind the cats. According to Corsa this setup will give you 10 hp..... whatever.... I like the sound ; people have complimented me about the sound. These cats flow good enough; you'd be better off spending your coins on something else.

I have Corsa Ultimate Touring, sound sick as well. I will say that my before and after dyno just changing the xpipe was 8rwhp. ;) Then a revised Lund tune with some hiflow cats bumped me up to a total of 13rwhp gain over just the axle backs. The sound is so sick. I really need a GoPro.

DTRAIN_WV

Established Member
I haven't heard a catless xpipe in person on a new 5.0 yet, but I love my lethal or H pipe.

When I'm cruising, there's little sound in the cabin. Not much drone at all. When I open it up, it's one of the louded things I've ever heard and I worked on a Marine Corps air station for 4 years. There's a slight fuel odor outside the vehicle, but I never smell it on the inside unless I'm at a drive through when my window down. It's not strong though.

H-Pipes give it a more low old school muscle car sound while an X gives the sound a more high pitches nascar style feel to it.

1hot281

Established Member
Xpipe's smooth exhaust pulses. Hpipes do not. More turbulent flow at the junction points, not enough to increase back pressure, but enough to affect sound. Think of smooth flowing water vs turbulent water.

H-pipes function by allowing excess pressure to flow over from the firing side exhaust to the dormant side to help increase flow without decreasing velocity. At higher flow rates or "high load" (higher RPM) situations, the h-pipe cannot bleed excess pressure fast enough.

X-pipes use their crossover to synchronize exhaust pulses and split the flow in the crossover junction, so the pressures on both banks will be equal and pulse-free after the X-section, regardless of the rpm and therefor offer much better performance. BUT the downside is the crisscrossing of the exhaust flow will cause harmonic pulsations at specific RPM which is much higher pitched, raspy and can be perceived as "drone"... especially when run catless, or "offroad"

In short, on a nearly stock car... and all other things being equal (presence of cats, diameter of piping) when simply comparing an H or X crossover, an x-pipe will pick up a horsepower or two, but the sound may not be pleasing...

Zims-mustang

Established Member
Okay so is there an x pipe that will bolt on? Which one would you recommend. I currently have the corsa sport axleback

Zims-mustang

Established Member
Just saw that americanmuscle has on special this month ford racing x pipe. It says no cutting or welding so its all bolted on and clamped? Is this a good x pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread