Wife's New Daily - Help!

BittenInBama

Established Member
Just bought the wife a new (to us) daily/ work truck: 2020 Dodge Grand Caravan w 10183 miles. Black on black on black is the issue; I haven't owned a black vehicle in 25 years probably. Then the beater truck back then received little attention. But this one is really clean and I'd like to keep it looking as nice as possible for her. I remember a member here many years ago saying that if you knew how to care for black, it wasn't as bad as people thought to keep clean.

So.. help, please.

I'd like to learn how to properly clean the outside of this thing. She's the upholstery expert, she can deal with the interior.

Any tips/ help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I have a black car and the paint always looks great. But here is the issue: mine is not a daily driver, so it can look that way. Here are some tips:

1.) Never run it through am automated car wash. The paint takes a beating. If going to car wash, use touch less or self clean with spray gun…no brush. Hand wash when possible.

2.) Don’t press hard with car wash mitt. Do not use bug remover sponges. It will scratch. Just soak the car, do section at a time at night or in shade. Washing in sunlight stinks.

3.) use a good quality drying towel or shams. Many bath towels will scratch the paint especially going fast or pressing too hard. Griots has great waffle towels that soak up water without pressing.

4.) I’m old school on polishing/waxing. First time, I’ll clay bar the car to get it baby butt smooth and remove all other contaminants. Buff areas that seem to be heavily scratched (surface scratches typically seen in direct sunlight). Key here is using the right buffer and compound. Griots has a great system ( buffers and compounds and well written book) for buffing that a beginner can do. I do this once a year in spring.

5.) Daily driver: use a good wax to protects the paint. Again Griots is excellent. Since mine is not a daily driver, I use a polish only….specifically Zaino Brothers products. Use a wax or polish spritzer in between wax jobs and after hand washes and drying.

6.) Black or dark paints show dirt, water spots and dust much easier than other paint colors. Never wipe off dust or dirt without a lubricant (water). …..it will scratch. Quick wash tip between regular washes.Use a self spray car wash, soap up good, can use brush on windows only, rinse off good and use the spot free rinse for a longer time to finish up. Rinsing without spot free just sucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ohio Snake

Established Member
8d5428058f681da5e9c9978f65c90363.jpg

This is a view of the reflection in my black paint on my 2012. This is from clay baring and Zaino products.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
If you really want to keep it up to an OCD level, you might want to consider the investment in a paint correction, and a ceramic coating. Might be more than you want to invest, but it sure will help in the long run.

To add to the great tips above, I would add:

Use the 2 bucket method, one bucket is to rinse your wash mitt, the second has the clean water with soap.

Use air to dry, vs a towel (leaf blower, compressed air, or a Metro blower)

Consider a water filter, this will really help with water spots.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you really want to keep it up to an OCD level, you might want to consider the investment in a paint correction, and a ceramic coating. Might be more than you want to invest, but it sure will help in the long run.

To add to the great tips above, I would add:

Use the 2 bucket method, one bucket is to rinse your wash mitt, the second has the clean water with soap.

Use air to dry, vs a towel (leaf blower, compressed air, or a Metro blower)

Consider a water filter, this will really help with water spots.
THIS. And THIS AGAIN! As careful as you will try to be, you ARE going to have to deal with paint swirls, etc. It's inevitable. If you're smart, and you want to keep that black paint as pristine as possible, like Andy said, get a paint correction and ceramic coating. Trust me, you won't regret the investment!

If you don't have the money to do the paint correction/ceramic coating, then focus on frequency of washing and how you wash. Andy's tips are good ones. I pretty much do what he suggests with my ceramic coated GV70.

Also, keep in mind that a black paint daily driver is going to require more attention than a vehicle that, for example, rarely or never sees rain. But you already know that, I'm sure. Our advice is more to help you keep it looking as pristine as possible with its daily duties.

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
What do you guys use for the black trim like splitters and rear diffusers?

I haven't tried it but a few members here had good reviews

C2tuck

Established Member

I haven't tried it but a few members here had good reviews

I stopped buying dark colored cars many years ago for these same reasons…

Yep. These little guys work great. Just make sure you don’t leave it on too “wet” as it will drip and look like crusty clear.

437bf0fff08e425e7acf88e37da2e979.jpg

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I stopped buying dark colored cars many years ago for these same reasons…

Yep. These little guys work great. Just make sure you don’t leave it on too “wet” as it will drip and look like crusty clear.

437bf0fff08e425e7acf88e37da2e979.jpg

^Cerakote FTW!

1647562878133.jpeg

BittenInBama

Established Member
Thanks guys!

Will be looking into this stuff this weekend. I have a buddy w a GT350, I know he just recently had it ceramic coated. Will see who did his.

The wife uses several tool kits from Griot's, good stuff!

When I said "daily driver", that may have been a slight overstatement. Her "daily" driving is typically 2 days a week. She has a home based upholstery business and does her errands, estimates, deliveries, etc those days. HOPEFULLY that will help this process A LOT! Hahaha

Again, really appreciate the tips!
Thanks!

BittenInBama

Established Member
Crappy cell pic on the way home from purchase. Rain off and on everyday since so a good wash is def in order.

Attachments

• 20220315_165023.jpg
    20220315_165023.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 62

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks guys!

Will be looking into this stuff this weekend. I have a buddy w a GT350, I know he just recently had it ceramic coated. Will see who did his. The wife uses several tool kits from Griot's, good stuff!

When I said "daily driver", that may have been a slight overstatement. Her "daily" driving is typically 2 days a week. She has a home based upholstery business and does her errands, estimates, deliveries, etc those days. HOPEFULLY that will help this process A LOT! Hahaha

Again, really appreciate the tips!
Thanks!
Thanks for clarifying that.

That van looks good in the pic. I've seen very few black vans, and I've never seen (good looking) black wheels on a van. For a van, hers looks really good!

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, I'm convinced I am gonna make a permanent thread I can just cut and paste to respond to the OPs question. Comes up a lot

I LOVE taking a neglected black vehicle and turning it into awesome.

I started with the basics in 2013 and never looked back.
There's better stuff than chemical guys, by far, but this is the jist of how to began your detailing hobby

- I do not do ceramic, and wont pay anyone $1000.00+ to do it lol
- Dual Action Porter cable (or Griots Dual Action buffer)
- Good cutting and polishing creams
- good soap and 2 buckets to maintain it through the year

Upfront cost, about $600-650 and you will never have to pay someone to do it again

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, I'm convinced I am gonna make a permanent thread I can just cut and paste to respond to the OPs question. Comes up a lot

I LOVE taking a neglected black vehicle and turning it into awesome.

I started with the basics in 2013 and never looked back.
There's better stuff than chemical guys, by far, but this is the jist of how to began your detailing hobby

- I do not do ceramic, and wont pay anyone $1000.00+ to do it lol
- Dual Action Porter cable (or Griots Dual Action buffer)
- Good cutting and polishing creams
- good soap and 2 buckets to maintain it through the year

Upfront cost, about $600-650 and you will never have to pay someone to do it again

This is good advice, but my shoulders tell me hell no. lol

Users who are viewing this thread