Why is sleeving by Darton not discussed more?

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
I have been searching the net for info on Darton sleeved blocks. I see something here and there, including vague references on this forum. But not actually what are the positives and negatives associated with the the Darton sleeve kit, HP levels, etc.

Anyone have info to provide or a link to such info?

quikcobra

Established Member
You dont see it because these engines hole just about what you can throw at them. They are closed deck blocks, ect... There is NO need to sleeve them. Now you hit up a Honda or Subaru forum you will see it all over. I dont know what power level your going for but aluminum blocks are seeing over 1000 easy (Not too easy but not to hard)

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Thx for response

I appreciate the response. I realize that a person doesn't necessarily need to do Darton sleeves, but the same could be said for aggressive cams (75 HP increase for MMR's Stage 2 cams) or ported heads (60 HP for MMR's Ported Heads). Darton sleeves are not cheap, but they are less expensive than $4k for ported heads.

It is clear to me that the bigger bore will increase power and the cubic inches of the engine. The standard 5.4L (330 ci) would go to a 5.8L (351 ci).

I realize that the performance of the engine is dependent on a lot of factors, including comression and how all of the parts work together to make power. Just looking for more specific information as a potential future option.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The biggest reason you don't see it is price versus return. For the money you'd put into sleeves you could have a lot of more effective go fast parts. Now if you intended to build a max effort money is no object engine then sleeves would be something to consider.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We offer the sleeve kits and have been doing so since the begining of the Modular, if installed wrong they are $3k down the tubes, if installed correctly they are good for 40-50RWHP on a 5.4 and work very well. The machining process is very difficult and costly, we charge $2800 to sleeve a Cast iron or Aluminum block to the 3.700 bore size or you can buy the MMR 351R block pre-sleeved for $3299.

The biggest disadvantage as mentioned above is if they are not installed correctly, this will cause coolant leaks into the oil and they require a special Cometic Head Gasket - THESE ARE THE ONLY DIS-ADVANTAGES

ADVANTAGES: Larger bore unshrouds valves and actually makes a head flow better. Cubic inch increase which ALWAYS makes more power.

Here are some pics for ya', the top one is a GT500 Iron Block, the lower is a FORD GT Aluminum.

360%20Top.jpg

MMR%20351RA.jpg

Please let us know how we can help!

MMR

MMR%202010%20launch%20banner%20video.jpg

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
basically, it's cheaper to crank up the boost of a supercharger or turbocharger for 50 more HP than it is to sleeve the block. money no object, sleeve that bitch, but if you don't have $15k laying around to build your engine then just crank the boost.
there is a reason people rarely port these heads, sleeve the block, or throw a set of custom grind cams in - they are VERY expensive without a big return. throw some rods in it, set it up for E85, and you'll be good for over 1000RWHP in street form(assuming E85 is available in your area).

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Now we are getting somewhere

Thanks SID297, MMR, and Ry_Trapp0 for chiming into this Darton block thread. Seems like the negatives (depending on view point) is cost to HP benefit ratio and the disastrous potential for throwing away big $ if the sleeves are not installed correctly.

To MMR, thank you for posting up some picks of the sleeved iron and aluminum blocks. Those bad boys are monsters! 50 RWHP is a number that I can understand and that makes sense to me due to the bigger bore.

I do see your point Ry_Trapp0 regarding turning up the boost and running E85. The E85 gas is available in my general area and I have looked into the price of conversion and the reasonable prices they charge per gallon. Excellent alternative to paying $70 to $85 dollars for 5 gallons of C16 race gas , or in my current case $45 for a full tank of 93 octane + $23 for a 32 oz can of Torco.

JagerBomb

I have been searching the net for info on Darton sleeved blocks. I see something here and there, including vague references on this forum. But not actually what are the positives and negatives associated with the the Darton sleeve kit, HP levels, etc.

Anyone have info to provide or a link to such info?

There is a very informative thread at [ame=http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11263507]Australian Ford Forums[/ame] regarding your request.

I have actually purchased the same block from MMR and awaiting pistons to arrive for final hone.

- Jeff

rdsnk46

Established Member
I have talked to the guys at darton every year, 5 straight at PRI! I would not hesitate to sleeve the motor.

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
I thought about sleeving my new aluminum block but decided against it. My car makes enough power now...50 more is just a boost increase away. For a daily driver leave it be. If these motors are built properly they don't break. believe me I'm trying to break mine so I can put my new short block in.

JagerBomb

rdsnk46 -

Agree 110%. My 2 cents, lots of horror stories about these sleeves, but what it boils down to it is not the sleeve, but the machining/install. So anyone dumb enough to do this (like me) make sure that you installer is top notch.

thebull -

Agree with you 100% as well. There are many avenues to stroll down when it comes to making more power. After a tremendous investment in new block and pistons I may make an additional 40-50 rwhp. The increase is not only due to the increased displacement, but unshrouding the valves will contribute a bit as well. Honestly this is not for everyone, but it is what floats my boat.

- Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread