Why does SCT suck so bad

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
I think he is saying it is a pain in the ARSE! I agree and run SCT always. But, I do have the driver problem at least once a year and it sucks. This shouldn't happen period. Yes, they are good to respond and help, but when it happens on a weekend and it's late, sometimes you can stuck. Especially when your at a track event or something.

lshin037

Established Member
Ive had this issue from time to time and that's one of reasons I got an ngauge. My issue was my tablet PC (windows 8) not connecting to the SCT handheld. I tried manually loading the drivers as well. After hours of searching the internet, I found a post that suggested uninstalling both LiveLink and the Updater and then installing them back but to make sure to install the Updater FIRST. This worked...for a little while. The next time, I had to restore Windows to a time when it worked, and that fixed the issue then. Another thing to keep in mind is that the SCT handheld will not work/datalog if used in conjuction with another OBD scanner (aeroforce gauges) through a splitter.

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
nothing is perfect, when your dealing with computers there sometimes are issues. I know just as many people having similar issues with HP tuners. I am not recommending or bashing either, but sometimes you get issues.

They both work very well most of the time, they are just tools, and sometimes the best have issues, it is who is doing the tuning that matters

1quick

Established Member
I was having trouble with live link and ended downloading it again, there was a newer version, updated the firmware in my hand held and it's been working good

SCalla1384

Established Member
I was able to get it. I restarted the laptop, and on the SCT x4 when I plugged it into the car, I made sure the x4 was able to get the "vehicle info" then started up live link and communicated with the car fine.

I had a lot of issues with the X3 in the past so I assumed the x4 would be problem free. Why I was so frustrated with it. Thanks for the recommendations anyways

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
nothing is perfect, when your dealing with computers there sometimes are issues. I know just as many people having similar issues with HP tuners. I am not recommending or bashing either, but sometimes you get issues.

They both work very well most of the time, they are just tools, and sometimes the best have issues, it is who is doing the tuning that matters
+65,000

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I've never had a major issue with them, but i'm an IT guy by day, so updating software and drivers is no big deal to me.

t660

Established Member
Have you actually tried calling SCT? Their CS is amazing.

I had issues with advantage 3 faulting while installing and I called them. They remoted into my computer, forced the install and everything worked great. took 10 minutes,.

I agree, I had issues with my itsx tuner and they were super helpful. They got me up to date and rolling, haven't had a problem since.

MKMotorsport

Established Member
It does not play well with Windows 10, or USB 3.0 ports (that could be specifically related to my laptop...). Also any good Anti-Virus program, wipes it out constantly (this I can't believe they can't get right or fix)... It's sketchy to have to "except" all the SCT directories so your AV scanner won't nuke it. As long as we're complaining, LOL, the flash time sucks and is ridiculous (too long).

LiveLink's stability is iffy at times. It has failed me more than once rolling up to the line at the track. It sucks when you think you are to get data from a run, then the program dumps out or freezes up at the last second...

PRP user since mid 2013 when I got the car. If they don't fix some of these annoyances soon, HPtuners may have a new customer, LOL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread