Why does SCT suck so bad

SCalla1384

Established Member
I always have issues with this. It's beyond frustrating. Pay good money for this little pos handheld that you use once for 10 minutes then it's sits in the closet for months. I was able to transfer a tune onto my x4. Now I'm trying to datalog to send to AED, but live link says could not communicate with vehicle. Everything is up to date and what not. Any auggestions? SCT is a joke, this happens to me all the damn time.

/end rant

djclark

Established Member
For a long time they had no real competition. So no incentive to make good stuff.

thankfully, other options now exist

jn2

Established Member
I'v never used SCT, only reason I even bought a Mustang was because Hptuners started supported them. I have used Hptuners with a lot of my previous cars and they've always been great. Eric@HPT is pretty quick to respond on the forums so the support is def there.

Vert

Established Member
Might be a dumb question, but did you follow the steps when you opened live link. First open it, then plug in the usb cable to your laptop that's connected to the sct. Next is to plug the act into the obd port and finally starting vehicle.

AKDMB

Established Member
Never had problem with my HPT interface:dancenana:. I will give SCT credit for getting the tuning support squared away and supported for these cars quickly. I have nothing against them, I do hear about a lot of livelink issues though.

Dig Race

Established Member
I have an x3 I've had for years used it with my power stroke now I use it with my mustang, never had a problem. Why don't you contact sct.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Might be a dumb question, but did you follow the steps when you opened live link. First open it, then plug in the usb cable to your laptop that's connected to the sct. Next is to plug the act into the obd port and finally starting vehicle.

I did yeah, still no luck.

I have an x3 I've had for years used it with my power stroke now I use it with my mustang, never had a problem. Why don't you contact sct.

That's what I'll have to do. But I mean it's the point. I shouldn't have to call them to remote access my computer to do such a simple thing. I forget what I paid for the x4, like $400 or something? I mean come on.

What version of Windows are you running?

Shit either windows 8 or 10. Pretty sure it's 10.

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
I had this same problem 2 days ago when I went to datalog
I called there technical support team & they can do live screen adjustment "which was pretty cool" & fix your drivers within your computer settings for you, all you have to do is sit back & watch on your screen as they do it
It's honestly a very quick & easy fix

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
I did install the 64 bit drivers for it.

Fwiw, when I open up the updated to transfer tunes, the laptop doesn't recognize the x4 either. But I was able to transfer the base tune for the tvs onto the x4, and load it into my car. Idk what that's all about.

Why couldn't they make the x4 so you could datalog without a laptop, saves to the x4 then transfer the datalog file from x4 to laptop and then email it to your tuner. That seems like a very simple thing to do.

Dig Race

Established Member
I've had to manually install the drivers for mine the last time I did an update. Its usually something simple.

pickles

Established Member
SCT software doesn't seem to play nice with windows 8 or 10. Call SCT and they will have it working for you in a matter of minutes

jn2

Established Member
I did install the 64 bit drivers for it.

Fwiw, when I open up the updated to transfer tunes, the laptop doesn't recognize the x4 either. But I was able to transfer the base tune for the tvs onto the x4, and load it into my car. Idk what that's all about.

Why couldn't they make the x4 so you could datalog without a laptop, saves to the x4 then transfer the datalog file from x4 to laptop and then email it to your tuner. That seems like a very simple thing to do.

It is, my HPT pro can do it, I don't see why they couldn't figure it out. Maybe its bc of what other have mention, there was no competition, when there is no competition there is no motivation to make a better product, not when yours is the only option...

Dusten

Established Member
I always have issues with this. It's beyond frustrating. Pay good money for this little pos handheld that you use once for 10 minutes then it's sits in the closet for months. I was able to transfer a tune onto my x4. Now I'm trying to datalog to send to AED, but live link says could not communicate with vehicle. Everything is up to date and what not. Any auggestions? SCT is a joke, this happens to me all the damn time.

/end rant

Have you actually tried calling SCT? Their CS is amazing.

I had issues with advantage 3 faulting while installing and I called them. They remoted into my computer, forced the install and everything worked great. took 10 minutes,.

Users who are viewing this thread