Why are s550 GT500s so slow?

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
A provocative title, I know. But hear me out.

There has probably never been a platform that can get into the 9s so easily. Headers, injectors, BAP and a pulley gets you there all day long. This is amazingly fast and even amazingly can be done with an afternoons work.

But what is very easy becomes very hard if you want to get to the next level.

I have been contemplating a 3.8 gt500 and I have to say I am not super impressed. It seems they barely make it to the 8s.

Don't get me wrong, very low 9s/hi 8s is super fast but for whatever reason the gt500 has trouble whereas it does not seem tough for a 10r80 Coyote with a 3.8.

From my research (granted not a ton) it seems like approximately the same build is faster in a GT. Not to mention the greater flexibility you have with building the 10r80.

Am I missing something?

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
The Predator is basically a cross plane version of the Voodoo strengthened for boost with lower compression. The Gen 3 Coyote is basically a 5.0 with Voodoo top end. The new 2024 has dual 80mm TB’s as well.

I know you can swing it but if I were building a Mustang it would for sure be a Coyote 10R80 car. Much lighter to start as well. I will be looking into adding a Dark Horse when I can see it in person.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Tuning around the transmission is the current hold up. They don’t like to shift well when under high load.

If you’re looking to go 7’s easily by bolting parts on a car then a 5.0/6R80 car is going to be hard to beat.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If building a car for the track, one usually leaves out all the fluff, a stripped GT would be a great starting point..

LS WUT

Established Member
Gonna be a good read.
9ED87ECE-E78E-4495-8E7C-624092F708CF.jpg

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Let’s not forget the starting price for these things. 100k+ for an 11 second quarter mile is laughable. I just don’t understand why Ford can’t build a stripper GT500 base for a reasonable price. Want the boy racer wing - option. Want the DCT auto transmission - option. Forcing a 16k carbon wing and 25k auto transmission to the customers is dumb when it would have been easy to start the GT500 at 60k and option them all the way to 200k for the Kim Kardashian Heritage Edition - love that fancy grey paint!

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Let’s not forget the starting price for these things. 100k+ for an 11 second quarter mile is laughable. I just don’t understand why Ford can’t build a stripper GT500 base for a reasonable price. Want the boy racer wing - option. Want the DCT auto transmission - option. Forcing a 16k carbon wing and 25k auto transmission to the customers is dumb when it would have been easy to start the GT500 at 60k and option them all the way to 200k for the Kim Kardashian Heritage Edition - love that fancy grey paint!
Back in 2013 when I ordered my 14, the MSRP for a base coupe was $ 54,800.00, + $ 795.00 delivery charge..

Dusten

Established Member

Why should they? They sell literally every car they make and then some.

Profit isn't in stripper models and the gt500 isn't meant to be a straight line car. It's more than just an 11 second car. And they run 10s stock.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
100k+?

both our shop cars mrsp in the 80s and we paid in the 80s for them

cars are super easy 9 second cars, dct holds up the 8s.... in general

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

The current GT500 is what we all asked for years ago. Remember when the GT500 had a solid axle and was all about straight line performance and was popular but everyone was yelling for Ford to make it more balanced so it could compete better against the ZL1 and even the Corvette around tracks because it was a one trick pony? Now we have essentially the best of both worlds at a pretty damn reasonable cost and it still isn't good enough cause there's always someone who wants the car tailor-made to them. The car isn't for everyone but Ford Performance is listening to their base and producing what they are asking for.

dan1982

Established Member
A provocative title, I know. But hear me out.

There has probably never been a platform that can get into the 9s so easily. Headers, injectors, BAP and a pulley gets you there all day long. This is amazingly fast and even amazingly can be done with an afternoons work.

But what is very easy becomes very hard if you want to get to the next level.

I have been contemplating a 3.8 gt500 and I have to say I am not super impressed. It seems they barely make it to the 8s.

Don't get me wrong, very low 9s/hi 8s is super fast but for whatever reason the gt500 has trouble whereas it does not seem tough for a 10r80 Coyote with a 3.8.

From my research (granted not a ton) it seems like approximately the same build is faster in a GT. Not to mention the greater flexibility you have with building the 10r80.

Am I missing something?
why dont u just put a deposit down right now for a 2025 zr1 and stop with the nonsense, should be 1000HP

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
The current GT500 is what we all asked for years ago. Remember when the GT500 had a solid axle and was all about straight line performance and was popular but everyone was yelling for Ford to make it more balanced so it could compete better against the ZL1 and even the Corvette around tracks because it was a one trick pony? Now we have essentially the best of both worlds at a pretty damn reasonable cost and it still isn't good enough cause there's always someone who wants the car tailor-made to them. The car isn't for everyone but Ford Performance is listening to their base and producing what they are asking for.
An automatic Shelby is never what i asked for.

Users who are viewing this thread