Who's ready for a Turbo High Revving C7 Vette?

wjk

Established Member
Just another rumor...

The brief:

- 3.0L Turbo V8
- 400+ hp
- 125hp per liter
- up to 10,000 RPM redline

Next Chevy Corvette to offer small-displacement turbo V8 — Autoblog

"According to TheDetroitBureau.com, General Motors is planning to alter its strategy with the next-generation Corvette to appeal to a wider range of customers. Traditionally, the Corvette has always been offered with high-displacement eight-cylinder powertrains, but according to sources within GM, the C7 Corvette may also offer a small, turbocharged V8.

Just how small, exactly? TDB reports that the next Corvette's European-style V8 could measure in at just over 3.0 liters, using an overhead-cam setup and dry sump oil system. With the aid of turbocharging, unnamed GM sources expect that this engine will deliver "in excess of 400 horsepower," or about 125 hp per liter. What's more, the smaller V8 could be of the extremely high-revving nature, with TDB citing that engine revs could handle up to 10,000 RPM.

GM's North American president, Mark Reuss, previously told The Bureau that the C7 Corvette will "target a very different sort of buyer."

However, traditional V8 enthusiasts need not worry, as the story states that a full range of engines will be available, including the classic larger displacement units that have traditionally found a home in the Corvette.

Of course, the rumormill about exactly what's in store for the C7 Corvette continues to swirl. We've heard everything from a mid-engine layout to a split rear window design that pays tribute to the 1963 'Vette. Whatever the case, GM just invested $131 million in the Bowling Green, Kentucky plant that builds the Corvette and the all-new model is expected to arrive within the next two to three years."

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
if they do that, a lot of males that use the vette to compensate for other things will be highly disappointed

Catfood

Established Member
No way Chevy will come out with a 3.0 liter.

What they really need is AWD so they can actually get some better times.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
400+ HP doesn't quite work with 125HP per liter wehn you only have a 3.0...just sayin

anyway the car sounds lame IMO

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
A report from GM just came out that the Corvette is losing it's appeal with the younger buyers. The major sales of them now are coming from the buyers who grew up with the cars and that is dying off so to speak, and younger buyers are looking elsewhere to the more technical players like the GTR and 911s, etc.

So this rumor was either GM's idea of how to fix that or someone's own little personal dream plan as to how to fix the popularity problem the Vette is having. I think it's a little ironic cause that report just came out probably less than a week ago and this just seems like a direct answer to it.

This wouldn't be a bad idea though, just as long as they keep a V8.

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
The Corvette has taken a beating in sales recently (year over year), but all high end sports cars have as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to shake up the market a little bit with the C7.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
one can only hope it's a rumor....

+ 1

here comes the 80's all over again.... :rollseyes

there is no way in hell a 3.0 Litre engine is gonna be a V-8 from Government motors. i can gaurantee you that a 3.0 from GM will be a V-6.

that being the case i will trade my C5 Z06 for the last year Grand Sport C6 and keep it for the rest of my life....

America is finished as a result of political suicide......

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Sounds gay as ****.

Who the hell wants a peuny v8 in a vette? I know a few eurofags who think high revving small displacement is better than low revving big displacement, but then again thats why they are eurofags.

Maybe if GM wants to regain younger buyers, they shouldnt price the car so far out of their market to where the only ones that can afford them are borderline geriatric.

Last edited:

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
3 liter V8... from GM? Yeah right, I doubt it. As a matter a fact I don't even think Ford would come out with a V8 that small:rollseyes

If GM wants to regain their reputation from younger buyers they may wanna consider ditching the "no back-seat having, marketed for retirees who wanna live again, base model starts over 40k" appeal

I don't think they CAN appeal to younger buyers. But if I were them I'd drop a turbo motor with an awd drivetrain into a newly designed "modern looking" 2-door, 4-seater Buick and call it a GN:rolling:

Last edited:

silvernewedge

Established Member
whatever happened to the 5.5L DI LS engine mentioned above?

I really, really don't see GM developing a special engine just for the Vette (original ZR1 aside), especially not a small displacement turbo engine.

Satyr

Established Member
I am not totally against the idea, if it actually ends up being a V8. High-revving would be nice, but I would be more receptive of a 4.0-4.2L, high-revving motor.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Stupidity, 10,000rpm MASS production 3.0L TT V8s? Nothing lives forever at 10,000rpm.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A 3.0 liter V8? I just don't see that happening at all. I have heard rumors for years now of a V6 powered Vette (with power adder) in the future (surely I hope it doesn't ever happen) and a 3.0 liter V6 would make sense. But a V8 of that size. Highly unlikely.

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
one can only hope it's a rumor....

+65,000

Glad I have a real Vette. GM will never be the same again.

+ 1

here comes the 80's all over again.... :rollseyes

there is no way in hell a 3.0 Litre engine is gonna be a V-8 from Government motors. i can gaurantee you that a 3.0 from GM will be a V-6.

that being the case i will trade my C5 Z06 for the last year Grand Sport C6 and keep it for the rest of my life....

America is finished as a result of political suicide......

Agreed. Except that I'm not going to sell my C5Z and buy a C6Z (maybe carbon edition).

Sounds gay as ****.

Who the hell wants a peuny v8 in a vette? I know a few eurofags who think high revving small displacement is better than low revving big displacement, but then again thats why they are eurofags.

Maybe if GM wants to regain younger buyers, they shouldnt price the car so far out of their market to where the only ones that can afford them are borderline geriatric.

Agreed +65,000,000,000

I really hope this doesn't happen. Corvettes don't need more fancy technology (no $20K trannies), or a retro redesign.

I'd say just changing up the placing of the engine (maybe mid engine?) and making a clutch and tranny a little smoother will make a big difference. Oh and add more power of course. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread