Who says you need to be rich to have fun?

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
In a day and age where everything seems to be getting more and more expensive it is nice to see a car company selling a car for LESS money.

We have been bitching for a true LX 5.0 mustang gt and it seems that our prayer of lots of performance for a smaller price tag has been answered...By DODGE?

Hear me out.

Dodge has released the Dodge Challenger SRT8 CORE model

THis is the a Chalenger srt8 without leather and fancy suspension, fog lights or forged rims but instead it lowers the price tag by about 5 grand.

That is right 5 grand

$39,995 for a SRT8 Challenger SRT8 Core

Am I the only one excited about this/ considering buying one?

johncm

SLOW
Established Member
That's still a gang of cash for one:shrug:

If I'm spending $40k on one I think I'd prefer having all the nice options over a base model with a big engine.
Just my $0.02

itSSlow98

Established Member
$40k is still a lot of cash IMO. Especially for a boat like that. There are a lot better deals out there for that kind of money. CTS-V FTW

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
Also seems like a cheap answer to the Boss and Z28. Kind of like a no option car to save weight. If I'm dropping 40k I want fog lights at least!

vortecd

Established Member
I think you are the only one excited. A 13 second $39K performance car doesn't sound like a good deal to me when you can get a 5.0 for $30k that runs 12's

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
I think you are the only one excited. A 13 second $39K performance car doesn't sound like a good deal to me when you can get a 5.0 for $30k that runs 12's

Quotes for truth. I do like the Challengers but for the money there much better values. If I'm gonna spend that kind of money it better be well equipped.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
It's still a heavy car. Good idea but if I had 40k to spend on a performance/muscle/sports car I'm getting the best bang for my $ and the Challenger [I do like the way they look] is not it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For some, mostly Dodge SRT-8 lovers, this is good news. Reminds me of the '68 Roadrunner back in the day. Bare bones with a big motor. No frills. That would change, though, with the '70 Roadrunner, as it offered more luxury items. Ask me how I know. :) But a bare SRT-8? Maybe a core R/T would have made more sense if they wanted to be able to make a V8 Challenger more affordable. Can you imagine a "core", stripped down GT-500? Because I can't.

Unfortunately, the price is still too high IMO. With just a couple of available options that the average buyer would want, you're looking at a sticker of around $43K. Not a bad price for the hottest Challenger model, but as mentioned already, the 2014 5.0 is a better performer and a better deal. You can buy a loaded 5.0 Mustang for around $44K. Equipment wise, there is NO comparison. The Core is stripped down. The 5.0 is LOADED. I know which one I'd choose!

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I really dont see what's to be excited about…… You're still paying a lot for car that looks uglier and is only a couple of lbs lighter than the standard one. They should drop another 5k and MAYBE it'll get more people excited besides you.

95PGTTech

Established Member
You (and others) asking for a stripped down anything anymore is completely unrealistic. A 13 Z06 is roughly 3000lb. The lightest Miata is 2400lb. With everything the government mandates be installed by an OEM manufacturer in a vehicle, I'd roughly estimate 3400lb as the absolute lightest you can get an entry level 4 seat sports car with a v8 in it (no passengers or fuel) and keep it under $40K by not using stupid exotic materials.

tps
abs
traction control
crumple zones
air bags galore
on and on and on

Users who are viewing this thread