Who runs E85 in New England?

My2003Mach1

Established Member
What is the shelf life? Can I take a month or so to finish a barrel?

This depends on storage conditions and your care to keep caps tight etc.

My barrels of fuel lasted me a whole year +

Also invest in a e85 tester ..... My e85 never fell below 80 Not all E85 is E85... It can and sometimes is pumped slightly lower..

Remember ..... That E85 tank at the station is not refreshed as much as regular octane. Not many people use E85 in the New England states compared to mid western states. Point made here is that it maintains a long time..

I was running well over 800 RWHP and being at that HP level you need good fuel. Don't stress out on octane ratings as much with E85. It does not detonate like race fuel or regular pump gas...

As an example... I'd fill two 55 gallon drums up let's say in late summer (I never bought winter E85) and it would sit in my garage where I was pulling from each barrel for more than a year! (I didn't drive my car much) so fuel sat long times.
Winter E85 is been said not to be as good as Mid spring to late summer E85.

One last thing.... I left E85 in my fuel tank in my car, never drained it and it had NO adverse effects so there is no need to drain the fuel out during laid up months.

matt87

Established Member
i like driving my car anywhere at any time. a few extra hp aint worth being bound to a very small handful of station that even carry it around here.

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Anyone know when gas stations typically switch over to the "summer" blend of E85? I'd like to grab some come April/May.

bigmoose

Established Member
i like driving my car anywhere at any time. a few extra hp aint worth being bound to a very small handful of station that even carry it around here.

I thought the same thing at first. However, if you are not near a station with E85, say you went to NH on vacation, when you are near empty just fill with 93 and swap tunes with a handheld. That only takes a few minutes at the pump. One of my primary motivations, aside from more power, is safety. Seems detonation is what kills these motors most of the time, which is almost impossible on E85.

My2003Mach1

Established Member
I thought the same thing at first. However, if you are not near a station with E85, say you went to NH on vacation, when you are near empty just fill with 93 and swap tunes with a handheld. That only takes a few minutes at the pump. One of my primary motivations, aside from more power, is safety. Seems detonation is what kills these motors most of the time, which is almost impossible on E85.

Agreed and as I mentioned many times before.. Also YES carry your hand held tuner and fill up with 93 if your in a pinch...

Summer blend is out in May almost all stations selling E85 are switched over by the 2nd week of May ..

matt87

Established Member
how close do the tunes gotta be for wot throttle? i mean who likes to run their tank dry then switch. your gonna have some mixing going on in there if you dont. i know of one station that sells it anywhere near me, if it were wide spread then ya i'd go for that extra boost of power.

My2003Mach1

Established Member
how close do the tunes gotta be for wot throttle? i mean who likes to run their tank dry then switch. your gonna have some mixing going on in there if you dont. i know of one station that sells it anywhere near me, if it were wide spread then ya i'd go for that extra boost of power.

I would run it down to just under a Quarter tank .. when I switched to 93, it had no affect but I didn't hammer on it out of the box either.. Switching back to E85.. I would be near empty (close enough to know I wasn't going to starve my engine, lets say 18th of a tank) with so much E85, wouldn't matter.

It was VERY rare if i switched to 93..

agwazz

Established Member
Hey 03Mach1...I'm considering e85 and was wondering who you order from or do you just drive to Waterford to fill a couple of gas cans?

My2003Mach1

Established Member
Hey 03Mach1...I'm considering e85 and was wondering who you order from or do you just drive to Waterford to fill a couple of gas cans?

I purchased my fuel in NYS ... I drove there filled the 55 Gal drums up and drove home... cost less that way BUT do not but E85 now wait until mid May!

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I use a pump in greenwich it's at a shell station...I fill 12 5 gallon jugs when I go...dump them into my 55 gallon drum and then go back with the same 12 5 gallon jugs the next day... $300 worth of fuel lasts me 2-3 months...I find that filling the car up before I leave the house gives me enough fuel to do what I do with the car....if I travel out of state I bring 2 5 gallon jugs with me or just toss some 93 in her.

Last edited:

MTBSully

Established Member
Anybody tested e85 yet this year? I want to get my car tuned but i can't if all the stations only have e70 or so. Got my tester in the mail on friday, might have to try a few places this week.

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
I run it and no I have not switched back and forth from e85 to 93. Soon I will have a tune for both though. The gas mpg is horrible but the power is nice. I should be hitting closer to 800rwhp when I get retuned.

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
I tested the gas station in Waterford, CT at the beginning of this month and it was E75. Anyone test it more recently? I'm hoping it will be closer to E85 soon.

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
I have two 55 gallon plastic drums filled with E85 now. Is there any reason to worry about the expansion caused by the vapor in the drums? They're sealed tight but I noticed a little bulging. The plastic looks heavy duty so I'm assuming that they can take it, just want to be certain.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
you should put a air lock on those tanks. wont let anything back into the tank but will let the pressure out if there is any excess. If you have a home brew beer store by you they sell them it looks like a "S".

Users who are viewing this thread