who rides motorcycles and what do you ride?

Adower

Established Member
Don’t ride anymore but my stable once consisted of:

99 R6
03 636
05 gsxr 750
04 zx10r
02 954 Rr

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I have been riding for a few years. I went and took the course at a Harley Dealership as they had you learn on 500 Buell Blasts. Bought a Yamaha FZ6R and got tired of a sportbike and being hunched over. Sold it and found a deal on an 07 Harley Nightster. I love the Nightster. Plenty of power, nimble for a cruiser, and it looks cool.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Got my MC endorsement for my driver's license in 1985 on this. Weaving through the cones with forward controls wasn't easy, but I got'er done. Still have the MC endorsement, but no more scooter.
sad face.

fullsizeoutput_896.jpeg

08mojo

Established Member
I've been riding motorcycles my whole life. The best advice I can give, if you have never rode, is to start on a dirt bike.

If you have the basics down and are comfortable on a bike, a 600cc is a great sport bike. My wife had a cbr250, and the 250s are way too far down on power. You'll get bored fast, and I'm not completely convinced they give you the experience needed to hop on a 600cc sport bike--so you might as well start on the real thing.

I had a k7 gsxr 600. That bike was an absolute blast and had plenty of power. I can see the appeal for a 1k bike though...the 600 fell on its face fast when you got into triple digit speeds.

CV355

_
Established Member
I've been riding motorcycles my whole life. The best advice I can give, if you have never rode, is to start on a dirt bike.

If you have the basics down and are comfortable on a bike, a 600cc is a great sport bike. My wife had a cbr250, and the 250s are way too far down on power. You'll get bored fast, and I'm not completely convinced they give you the experience needed to hop on a 600cc sport bike--so you might as well start on the real thing.

I had a k7 gsxr 600. That bike was an absolute blast and had plenty of power. I can see the appeal for a 1k bike though...the 600 fell on its face fast when you got into triple digit speeds.

I agree with that assessment- 250s have their place, and people with horrible self-discipline should start on one (just generalizing here- mean no offense to anyone by this). However, I think a 500-650 V-twin is fine for starting and help you develop a respect for throttle that a 250 just won't get you.

Jumping from my SV650 to the Speed Triple 1050 was interesting. Man I miss that bike. I could lay down on the tank, bring the revs up to 7k, drop the clutch, and tear off like a rocket from a dead stop. For arguments sake, that bike is one of the fastest things you can sit on at "around town" speeds. Sure the 1000cc I4/V4s will leave it in dust at 1XX speeds, but nothing could touch that Speed Triple from a dig. ...and that's why I got rid of it. LOVED the bike. LOVED it. But I was going to get in trouble for the reasons I listed earlier in the thread. I started getting cocky. I never screwed around in traffic, or acted like the squid-tards out there wearing flip-flops on Hayabusas, but I felt like I was in more control than I actually was. THAT is the reason to start on a moderate to low-power bike.

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
I’ve had two GSXR 600’s and the times I rode them were the greatest times in my life. The 600cc is plenty of power and you can ride wheelies for days on it.
The unfortunate thing about sport bikes is they make you do dumb shit. They are so agile and peppy that it’s addicting to play around with them. Ok, maybe these aren’t unfortunate things.
My best advice, take a rider safety course. I know it’s lame, but it by far made me a better rider and I don’t think I would have been able to ride without crashing if I didn’t take that course. And ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET NO MATTER WHAT

sound advice all around here...i have been riding sport bikes for 25 years since just about out of college and i do find they make me do stupid shit (no, really, it's the BIKE's fault!). you need to learn how to ride defensively and with all your senses about you- nobody else gives a **** about you, and you will lose every single collission battle you will ever have with cars, trucks, animals, etc...- you might stand a chance against another motorcycle but that hardly ever happens anyway.

YES take the rider safety course- put any ego aside and do it- it is worth it, trust me. There were people in my class with decades of riding experience and they were failing the course because they just did not have the skills they thought they did.

YES ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET! NUFF SAID.

EDIT I say go with a used 600. Hopefully you won’t drop it, I never did til about 10 years into riding and had to to avoid a crash.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Well, I sold my 2011 848 Evo to a friend after putting a new tank on it that wasn't defective, new windscreen, and painting it gloss black like he wanted, but now he wants to give it back to me because his girl is bitching at him about it. I found out he was just going to flip it which pissed me off because he made it sound like he really wanted it so I helped him out. I'm going to buy it back and probably trade it in for a Triumph Bonneville Bobber when I find a good used one I want.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Well, I sold my 2011 848 Evo to a friend after putting a new tank on it that wasn't defective, new windscreen, and painting it gloss black like he wanted, but now he wants to give it back to me because his girl is bitching at him about it. I found out he was just going to flip it which pissed me off because he made it sound like he really wanted it so I helped him out. I'm going to buy it back and probably trade it in for a Triumph Bonneville Bobber when I find a good used one I want.

That is one sexy ass bike!

SHOdown220

Established Member
I started on a 2012 CBR250R. Some of my "friends" made fun of me for buying the little bike as they all rode 600s. But they sucked at riding and were scared to do anything other can go fast in a straight, one trip to the mountains with me riding the hell out of my 250 and they were shocked. It was a fun little bike honestly, handled well and you could ride it to redline everywhere and not go to jail lol. Little bike isn't for everyone and its really slow for sure but I enjoyed my time with it. 4 grand brand new, 77 MPG on 87 octane, insurance was dirt cheap too. You could ride all day for next to nothing. I miss that little bike sometimes.I put 14k miles on that in the first 6 months I was riding.

I sold it and got into Harleys, bought a sportster, rode the hell out of that for 12k miles and then when i met my wife I moved up into a dyna. 2014 Dyna Low Rider i bought new in summer of 14. Next bike will be an ultra (I made the mistake of demo riding a ultra with my wife and now she insists we buy one). I won't let my low rider go though, its been a fun bike. Harleys are heavy but are not hard to ride. They are a little more difficult in slow speed turns but once you get moving its easy.

jaxbusa

Established Member
I have a 2009 Harley Electra Glide Classic and a 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa. My advice is to buy a used good running cheap bike. You will probably drop and damage your first bike, and you will realize that a bike that looks good in a photo or magazine might not suit your needs. Don’t cheap on the gear and wear reflective items, if available. If you watch a lot of sport bike riders, many times they ride with a backpack and one hand. The backpack is because you can’t even store a maxi pad under the seat and the riding position sucks so bad they have to rest their wrist. A lot of Harley riders think that $20,000 and 20 miles to the first bar you see makes them a rider.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I've never even sat on a bike...but man 8 bet it is fun to lay her over through the turns

Users who are viewing this thread