Who makes the best heat exchanger??

greengt88

Established Member
there are so many options. I don't really want to have to hack and slash to install. Who makes a good one that's easy to install?

Jroc

Established Member
LFP, AFCO, Gords, Fluidyne, all make good H/E's who's best served function over the factory unit is to improve the looks of your car.

I run a LFP dual pass H/E, and it serves its function very well. You might go with the one you find the best deal on.
16gioaa.jpg

jqj2gl.jpg

BTW why does everyone always ask what the best of any particular thing is? Best SFC's, best shifter, best springs, best CAI, best pulleys, best exhaust setup, best supercharger, etc. These question should be asking for people opinions of why they think such and such as opposed to asking for someone to give you facts when they're almost always based on nothing other than their byiast opinions. JMO

Satyr

Established Member
Gords or LFP...they are the biggest units and the LFP is also dual pass.
Afco is nice, but it doesn't fit the whole opening in the front (at least when I had mine, it didn't).

Last edited:

greengt88

Established Member
people want to know what the best is, so they don't waste money. Also they can then fixae themselves on a certain piece or set-up and have a goal to work towards.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Gords or LFP...they are the biggest units that are dual pass.
Afco is nice, but it doesn't fit the whole opening in the front.

Gord are now dual pass? That's news to me.

Get the biggest one you can fit which I believe is Gords

Dual pass buys you nothing and will actually increase flow restriction in the system over a single pass.

The stock Ford unit is not bad and will actually resist damage from rocks better due to the thicker metal fins over the aftermarket units.

Greenst88: may I suggest you try the “search” function on “heat exchanger”. I got 4 pages of information on this subject alone (that 100 posts). Much to be learned

Satyr

Established Member

Dual pass buys you nothing and will actually increase flow restriction in the system over a single pass.

The stock Ford unit is not bad and will actually resist damage from rocks better due to the thicker metal fins over the aftermarket units.

Greenst88: may I suggest you try the “search” function on “heat exchanger”. I got 4 pages of information on this subject alone (that 100 posts). Much to be learned

No, they're not dual pass...I meant to say that they are the biggest units and LFP is dual pass. My mistake.

Dual pass buys you nothing? That's new to me.
When something hot has the ability to be exchanged through twice as much piping, it has the ability to cool for more time.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Dual pass buys you nothing? That's new to me.
When something hot has the ability to be exchanged through twice as much piping, it has the ability to cool for more time.

How does a dual pass HE posses twice as much piping at a single pass? All a dual pass HE does is divide the radiator in half where the pump will have to push the coolant thru a circuit twice as long as a single pass at twice the velocity to move the same volume of fluid which is also harder on the pump. They both possess the same surface area to transfer the heat to the air

Last edited:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
How does a dual pass HE posses twice as much piping at a single pass? All a dual pass HE does is divide the radiator in half where the pump will have to push the coolant thru a circuit twice as long as a single pass at twice the velocity to move the same volume of fluid which is also harder on the pump. The both possess the same surface area to transfer the heat to the air

The flow pipes don't really exchange heat though, the fins do. Same fin area, same heat reduction. At least, that's the logic I've come to apply to this component.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
The flow pipes don't really exchange heat though, the fins do. Same fin area, same heat reduction. At least, that's the logic I've come to apply to this component.

You are the one who brought "pipes" into the conversation. I was just expanding on it. You are correct, the fins are responsible for the majority of the cooling. You understand where I'm coming from with regard to the lenght of the cooling circuit and flow restriction? In the long run I don't think it much matters from a cooling perspective whether its single or dual pass HE. The coolant will just move slower thru a single pass which will be easier on the pump. The water in the HE doesn't really get very hot to begin with but I would lean toward a single pass for reasons stated.

:beer:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
You are the one who brought "pipes" into the conversation. I was just expanding on it. You are correct, the fins are responsible for the majority of the cooling. You understand where I'm coming from with regard to the lenght of the cooling circuit and flow restriction? In the long run I don't think it much matters from a cooling perspective whether its single or dual pass HE. The coolant will just move slower thru a single pass which will be easier on the pump. The water in the HE doesn't really get very hot to begin with but I would lean toward a single pass for reasons stated.

:beer:

Sorry, I didn't mean to quote you. That was intended for Satyr, as I read his quote in your quote of his quote. :dw: I was, and am, in agreement with everything you've said.

When it comes time for me to replace my boogered up heat exchanger, I'm going stock and spending a little extra cash on boxing it in. I can almost guarantee my money will be better spent that way - less weight, less money.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Sorry, I didn't mean to quote you. That was intended for Satyr, as I read his quote in your quote of his quote. :dw: I was, and am, in agreement with everything you've said.

When it comes time for me to replace my boogered up heat exchanger, I'm going stock and spending a little extra cash on boxing it in. I can almost guarantee my money will be better spent that way - less weight, less money.

I agree. The stock HE fins are way more robust then the aluminum foil fins on my Gords. Sealing the gaps between the rad and chassis/HE and chassis will do a lot more then just putting a bigger one in there. The factory needs to honor the warranty. Some of the OEM stuff is way better quality then most people give them credit for.........except Ford paint, the clunk, flimsy chassis and the notchy hard to reach shifter :cuss:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator

+1 I agree.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
One thing i for sure agree on here is how easy the aftermarkets fins can be messed up by even the smallest piece of road debris.I`m always trying to keep the fins straight using a toothpick.

Silver95

Established Member
One thing i for sure agree on here is how easy the aftermarkets fins can be messed up by even the smallest piece of road debris.I`m always trying to keep the fins straight using a toothpick.

Would it be possible to place some sort of non ricer looking mesh/grill on there and paint it black or flat black?

Users who are viewing this thread