Who is still running the original cooling fan?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I am still running my stock fan.

One thing I have noticed with electric fans over the years, is how the life tends to go down if you set the fan settings too low.

The big mod when electric fans first came out on the 5.0's in 1994 was the relay kits with the wiring hooked up to high. These only made the fans last about a year or two like this though.

It wasn't until later when good fan controlers came out that they lasted longer.

The best fan controller I have come across so far has been the dccontrol.
Delta Current Control

It is a variable voltage fan controler that varies the speed of the fan instead of just a on/off type. It helps reduce the power spikes as with other fan controlers.

I have also seen a lot of tunes with the fan setting way lower than they need to be with the high settings. This would also reduce the life of the factory fan.

Hope this helps.

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
My factory fan blade lasted about 28k. It gave away at the seam of the plastic on the outer rim. I have the motor still if anyone has a good blade to mount on it....

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
My factory fan blade lasted about 28k. It gave away at the seam of the plastic on the outer rim. ....

FROM MOTORCRAFT SITE:

"Motorcraft® Fan and Motor Assemblies are made from recyclable material (just like the original) to benefit the environment."

I don't know how beneficial it can be if they end up in the trash after 30,000 miles.... :dw:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Heat kills...

1. Fans run a lot, incuding high-speed
2. High underhood temps are probably hard on the "recyclable material"
3. Over the years we've seen a number of factory coolant overflow tanks get warped and expand, putting pressure on the fan frame and causing interference with the blades

Everyone should be aware of #3 and inspect their tank, especially if they've ever experienced an overheating condition

Last edited:

Cobra_im

********* STAMPEDE
Established Member
Mine took a shit today, heard a loud snap, like a tree branch breaking as I was turning into my driveway. Blades were rubbing the shroud and making tapping noises so I think its done.

Mine did this Exact same thing today..... JB Should I replace the coolant tank as well? If so with a stock or canton one? How much do you think the dealer will get from me if they do it?

My car Just hit 26,000 miles on her and is usually sitting in the garage.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Mine did this Exact same thing today..... JB Should I replace the coolant tank as well? If so with a stock or canton one? How much do you think the dealer will get from me if they do it?

My car Just hit 26,000 miles on her and is usually sitting in the garage.

You can buy the fan from an online dealer like Tousley Ford and install it yourself to save some big bucks.

Dealership will bill you 'by the book', which means draining coolant and removing radiator overflow tank.

I found that by removing battery & tray, loosening PS reservoir and carefully maneuvering tank to the side, I could do it without breaking open cooling system.

You could easily inspect the tank at that time.....I don't believe there are too many instances of warping the tank on the bottom, BUT they do warp quite often at the top where cap threads on and this can affect sealing, even with a new cap installed.

I use stock tanks.....plastic serves its purpose well, as it doesn't become a heat sink like metal does

Last edited:

Cobra_im

********* STAMPEDE
Established Member
Thanks for the confidence builder. I might try it myself, hell I’m doing my fox bodies heater core myself ;)

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I have also seen a lot of tunes with the fan setting way lower than they need to be with the high settings. This would also reduce the life of the factory fan.
Yup, I think this is pretty common. For this reason I wouldn't recommend running a fan any lower than 178* ECT.

Last edited:

Cobra_im

********* STAMPEDE
Established Member
Ok my Ford dealer stated they wanted 485.00 to fix my fan assembly, and the other Ford dealer across town saif 5xx (I mean WTF). They said the fan assemb is like 325. where can I get a good OEM quality fan not a remanufactured one for a good price?
Is the fan hard to change out?
Is there any directions on how to do this?

Thanks for the help guys

svt2ner

Established Member
AUTOZONE has them upon order for 170-180 made by dorman. Not hard to do just takes some time.

03CobraDude

Mine took a shit today, heard a loud snap, like a tree branch breaking as I was turning into my driveway. Blades were rubbing the shroud and making tapping noises so I think its done.

Same thing happened last week. Replaced the fan and the car overheated on my dad and shut off. Had it sent into the shop, and finally got it back today.

Users who are viewing this thread